YIKES!

Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Unhappy YIKES!

Okay. My first real wobbles.

Watching BBC1's immigration show "Too Many Immigrants"... is England really that adversarial towards people with a slightly different accent? I have a Canadian accent (obviously), and my British-born husband has a Canadian accent... are we really going to make people that upset with us, or is this really just propoganda? And if it is, why would BBC want to cause rifts?

Kinda nervous now, what if my neighbours hate me because I'm Canadian born? Really, this is very scary to me, we're jumping two feet in on this, giving up everything here in Canada... and what if we have no chance because we're considered "outsiders". Or is this more EU migrant workers or what? Is it an ethnic thing? I'm from the commonwealth, does that help?

ACK!!!
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YIKES!

I haven't seen the programme and I'm still in the US (moving back next month), but I would be absolutely amazed if there were any problem of that kind for you.

Sadly a few ****wits (sorry, kindest term I could think of) feel enabled by some of this UKIP stuff to spout their bile, it would only be like the Tea Party types in the US though.

Don't forget TV programmes tend to be sensationalized.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I have watched a few of those shows and I too am a little concerned because I have a slight US twang and my kids and husband have solid American accents. There seems to be a growing resentment for immigrants taking jobs, getting benefits and not assimilating into British culture.
This seems to be everywhere though, a product of the recession.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
I have watched a few of those shows and I too am a little concerned because I have a slight US twang and my kids and husband have solid American accents. There seems to be a growing resentment for immigrants taking jobs, getting benefits and not assimilating into British culture.
This seems to be everywhere though, a product of the recession.
There is absolutely no resentment of immigrants getting jobs, contributing to the country and assimilating.

There IS resentment of those that don't get jobs (make that don't try to get jobs) live off the taxpayers and don't assimilate. This has nothing to do with the recession and everything to do with too big a welfare state and not enough safeguards against exploitation of the system.

Since you and your family don't appear to be in this second category I don't believe that you will have experience of unfriendliness or resentment.

From reading some of your comments one would think that you have been out of the UK for several decades, yet you only left in 2008. I think you will find that, if you return to somewhere like Cambridge you will not find much has changed.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

I suppose... I guess as a tourist (to this point) I was never noticed anything, but now knowing that we'll be facing some of this maybe in how we're perceived in job searches, housing, relationships with our community. I mean, we really are there to completely absorb the British culture... my Hunny would eat fishnchipswithmushypeas every day of his life from now on given the chance and I'm one of the Great British Bake-Off's biggest fans, but still, our accent and possibly vocabulary will identify us for a little while anyhow. We're trying to incorporate a more and more British terms for things (like chips for fries, rubbish for garbage, lorry for truck, etc) as we near the moving date. But will it be enough to "fit in"?? I just want us to fit there, I want to be British. Maybe that will work in my favour? (being Canadian, I already have the correct spelling of words... that's gotta help, eh? LOL!) *WOBBLES*
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

sandiegogirl, sorry, I know it looks like I ignored your post, I think we cross posted. Anyhow, those are comforting words, thank you.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 12:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
(being Canadian, I already have the correct spelling of words... that's gotta help, eh? LOL!) *WOBBLES*
Hmm ... Really??

Old Jul 17th 2014, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
I suppose... I guess as a tourist (to this point) I was never noticed anything, but now knowing that we'll be facing some of this maybe in how we're perceived in job searches, housing, relationships with our community. I mean, we really are there to completely absorb the British culture... my Hunny would eat fishnchipswithmushypeas every day of his life from now on given the chance and I'm one of the Great British Bake-Off's biggest fans, but still, our accent and possibly vocabulary will identify us for a little while anyhow. We're trying to incorporate a more and more British terms for things (like chips for fries, rubbish for garbage, lorry for truck, etc) as we near the moving date. But will it be enough to "fit in"?? I just want us to fit there, I want to be British. Maybe that will work in my favour? (being Canadian, I already have the correct spelling of words... that's gotta help, eh? LOL!) *WOBBLES*
Don't be ridiculous, you don't have to become a pantomime British person! Relax, you'll be absolutely fine "me old china"
Old Jul 17th 2014, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There is absolutely no resentment of immigrants getting jobs, contributing to the country and assimilating.

There IS resentment of those that don't get jobs (make that don't try to get jobs) live off the taxpayers and don't assimilate. This has nothing to do with the recession and everything to do with too big a welfare state and not enough safeguards against exploitation of the system.

Since you and your family don't appear to be in this second category I don't believe that you will have experience of unfriendliness or resentment.

From reading some of your comments one would think that you have been out of the UK for several decades, yet you only left in 2008. I think you will find that, if you return to somewhere like Cambridge you will not find much has changed.
I am by no means claiming to have 1st hand knowledge or experience on this - it is merely my/our perception based on the shows we have watched, as I said. There was a doc called 'Why don't you Speak English' and another 'Make Bradford British' and a few others centered on those issues. There were definitely quotes of 'their taking our jobs' from people. I don't think those issues are non existent as I have had conversations with family and friends in the UK about this. Of course opinions differ on that, whether immigrants are 'taking jobs' or 'they should work and not scrounge off the tax payer'. I do know that things are not as severe as documentaries make them to be, I wouldn't be moving my family if I didn't think things would be ok for my husband and kids.

To the OP I don't think the issues raised in the documentaries will affect you much. I am a researcher at heart so I always want to know the good, bad and the ugly, but I take everything with a pinch of salt. As I am sure you do.

Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hmm ... Really??
I said *I* had the right spelling of words ... but ya got me on that one. I'll have to start searching my Oxford dictionary again... Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't think the issues raised in the documentaries will affect you much. I am a researcher at heart so I always want to know the good, bad and the ugly, but I take everything with a pinch of salt. As I am sure you do.

Good luck!
Yes, I finished watching the shows (two episodes) and I think I understand it was more from a "what are they taking from us" mindset, though I have to admit, even the hosts were scripted to note about "do they contribute to our society"... I'm a contributor by nature, so if that's what people are looking for, we should be golden. Little less wobbly today.

Thanks!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

I know of at least four young Canadian people who are now living in Scotland or England and none have mentioned having difficulties with their Canadian accents in the UK. I think if someone is pleasant, assimilates as best they can, don't try to be what they're not, don't speak with an obviously fake 'English' accent, just enjoy the adventure and they will easily and quickly find friends. Just be yourself!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I am by no means claiming to have 1st hand knowledge or experience on this - it is merely my/our perception based on the shows we have watched, as I said. There was a doc called 'Why don't you Speak English' and another 'Make Bradford British' and a few others centered on those issues. There were definitely quotes of 'their taking our jobs' from people. I don't think those issues are non existent as I have had conversations with family and friends in the UK about this. Of course opinions differ on that, whether immigrants are 'taking jobs' or 'they should work and not scrounge off the tax payer'. I do know that things are not as severe as documentaries make them to be, I wouldn't be moving my family if I didn't think things would be ok for my husband and kids.

To the OP I don't think the issues raised in the documentaries will affect you much. I am a researcher at heart so I always want to know the good, bad and the ugly, but I take everything with a pinch of salt. As I am sure you do.

Good luck!
Most of the immigrants who are 'taking our jobs' are actually doing jobs that Brit job hunters feel are 'beneath' them or don't pay as much as they think they should be paid.
The people who take part in these documentrries are picked so that they get the best television, it would be no good picking a group of people who didn't have any problems, would make for a boring programme, so they look for people with very definite views, and who are p for an argument. Didn't watch the programme as I saw the trailers and thought it would jusst be a rehash of many other programmes, didn't watch 'benefits street' either as that was just a sensationalist programme, and I wonder if those taking part declared their earning from the programme.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Most of the immigrants who are 'taking our jobs' are actually doing jobs that Brit job hunters feel are 'beneath' them or don't pay as much as they think they should be paid.
The people who take part in these documentrries are picked so that they get the best television, it would be no good picking a group of people who didn't have any problems, would make for a boring programme, so they look for people with very definite views, and who are p for an argument. Didn't watch the programme as I saw the trailers and thought it would jusst be a rehash of many other programmes, didn't watch 'benefits street' either as that was just a sensationalist programme, and I wonder if those taking part declared their earning from the programme.
Agreed!

As for not wanting to work (mentioned in another post), there are Brits and Immigrants alike who fit into that category. It's a mindset not a nationality thing. I agree that benefits are too generous and too easily acquired for the lazy.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
*Canadian Tyre

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.