Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A year ago yesterday we landed back here.......

A year ago yesterday we landed back here.......

Old May 19th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default A year ago yesterday we landed back here.......

Well after spending 18 months in NZ we decided to head back here, a few different reasons for coming back one being I was pregnant at the time and thought the family support would be good, hubby was working very long hours and not so happy in his job (we were on a WTR), we also found Auckland quite expensive....

Since coming back here we have found the cost of living had gone up since we left and is probably on par with NZ, hubby has found a great job but again is working very long hours, we now have another gorgeous baby boy and although it is great that we are so close to family here I am just desperate to go back. I never once missed the UK as a place while we were away, but I really really miss NZ, I miss the lack of people and people's attitude there. I sometimes even miss the lack of choice as here there is far too much to choose from

We have decided we will stay here for another year or 2 and in the meantime apply for our visas, and when we are ready and before the kids get too settled we will be ping ponging back down under!
Old May 20th 2013, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A year ago yesterday we landed back here.......

Sorry to hear you could not settle,the time will fly by as you will be kept busy with your new baby. Why do you think you could not settle back home ? cheers I.G.
Old May 20th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Well, KayC, it's so good that you absolutely know what you want, and you have a way of getting back to New Zealand! Congratulations on the new littl'un and good luck with the plans to return!
Had to smile that you want to go to a place with less people! Mind you, I live in a fairly quiet place. You must be a country girl at heart!
Old May 20th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Sorry to hear you could not settle,the time will fly by as you will be kept busy with your new baby. Why do you think you could not settle back home ? cheers I.G.
Hi Irish Guinness, I'm not really sure what the reason for not settling is, although I enjoy being back with family, I just miss the simple life of NZ and the lack of materialism there - I have found it very materialistic back here
Old May 20th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jemima55
Well, KayC, it's so good that you absolutely know what you want, and you have a way of getting back to New Zealand! Congratulations on the new littl'un and good luck with the plans to return!
Had to smile that you want to go to a place with less people! Mind you, I live in a fairly quiet place. You must be a country girl at heart!
Hi Jemima, Thanks for the congratulations I think I am a country girl at heart far too many people around here!!
Old May 21st 2013, 7:11 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KayC
I miss the lack of people and people's attitude there. I sometimes even miss the lack of choice as here there is far too much to choose from
Have you thought of moving to the British countryside? I live in a place with very few people and very little materialism. Life is slower and more relaxed, and the people are friendly and all have time for you. Might be worth considering.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you thought of moving to the British countryside? I live in a place with very few people and very little materialism. Life is slower and more relaxed, and the people are friendly and all have time for you. Might be worth considering.
I don't really live in a city - I live in a village in Northamptonshire, but still I find places overcrowded......I love to live by the coast but it would be a case of hubby getting a job there
Old May 21st 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

There is definitely more space in NZ and much less people in general. But Auckland is overcrowded too. Reading about the plan of the Auckland Council to add another million people to this city that has traffic jams as worse as London and practically no public transport doesn't sound good! Just recently read in the NZ Herald that in Auckland houses are more unaffordable than in London and New York City! Hopefully the NZ government will do something about these prices soon - but with 1 million Aucklanders-to-be waiting I am not sure the future will be simple, or quite, or non-materialistic. Better return sooner than later (if Auckland is your destination that is).
Old May 28th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Since coming back here we have found the cost of living had gone up since we left and is probably on par with NZ,
How do you know what has happened in NZ to the cost of living since you left?
Old May 28th 2013, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Assanah
There is definitely more space in NZ and much less people in general. But Auckland is overcrowded too. Reading about the plan of the Auckland Council to add another million people to this city that has traffic jams as worse as London and practically no public transport doesn't sound good! Just recently read in the NZ Herald that in Auckland houses are more unaffordable than in London and New York City! Hopefully the NZ government will do something about these prices soon - but with 1 million Aucklanders-to-be waiting I am not sure the future will be simple, or quite, or non-materialistic. Better return sooner than later (if Auckland is your destination that is).
I keep reading about house prices on in the up in Auckland, I love Auckland but would be happy to try another place to live there too....it would all depend on where OH could get work
Old May 28th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luvwelly
How do you know what has happened in NZ to the cost of living since you left?
I don't know but I'd be happy to go back and see
Old May 29th 2013, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know but I'd be happy to go back and see
I suppose you weren't in NZ long enough to get the 'trapped sensation' . Funnily enough I have also been back in UK 12 months this week and couldn't be happier but I was never permanently in NZ but did stay a full 5 years. It was like living in Groundhog Day at times.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone 'pingpongs' - you are not alone but it could just be 'curse of the expat'. Maybe 2 years in you will feel differently and more settled in UK.
After all the biggest issue in any location is employment and as Sally said, there are plenty of uncrowded parts of the UK. The South East of England does feel crowded I agree but even that area has countryside too.

If you felt driven to leave NZ after only 18 months, something must have been awry? Think you might be suffering from the 'grass is greener' right now...again part of the 'expat curse'.