Reload this Page >

Would i qualify for benefits?

Would i qualify for benefits?

Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Amelia21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Would i qualify for benefits?

Hi fellow expats!
I am currently overseas and things have come to a stage where staying is no option anymore

I haven't applied to any school for my 13 year old daughter and i am worried schools may not accept her, i read that until i find a job (i am actively searching now, applying for jobs online) i would only be applicable to job seekers allowance if i am habitually resident.

Here are some factors of our situation -
My daughter would be at school, i would be searching for work, we don't have a house in the UK, will be staying at friends. We have been out of the UK for 2 years. Also we don't have any assets abroad. We have not maintained much ties in the UK however we are still registered with our GP if that helps. Any tips to prove that we intend to stay permanently?

Do you think i have a strong chance of claiming to be habitually resident?
As it is staying at friends is quite daunting and i hate to be a burden, jobs are so rare to find these days. For each job i am seeing that over 100 people have applied for it.
Any advice or insight would be helpful!
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would i qualify for benefits?

Originally Posted by Amelia21
Hi fellow expats!
I am currently overseas and things have come to a stage where staying is no option anymore

I haven't applied to any school for my 13 year old daughter and i am worried schools may not accept her, i read that until i find a job (i am actively searching now, applying for jobs online) i would only be applicable to job seekers allowance if i am habitually resident.

Here are some factors of our situation -
My daughter would be at school, i would be searching for work, we don't have a house in the UK, will be staying at friends. We have been out of the UK for 2 years. Also we don't have any assets abroad. We have not maintained much ties in the UK however we are still registered with our GP if that helps. Any tips to prove that we intend to stay permanently?

Do you think i have a strong chance of claiming to be habitually resident?
As it is staying at friends is quite daunting and i hate to be a burden, jobs are so rare to find these days. For each job i am seeing that over 100 people have applied for it.
Any advice or insight would be helpful!
Habitual residency successful application is considerably enhanced if you can prove some family ties to the UK/have a UK bank account/ came in on a one way ticket (believe it or not some don't!)/ got yourself involved in community-some volunteer work type of thing.
I think that having a UK GP will help.

You need to demonstrate good links and a strong commitment to the UK.

Good luck to you!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 5:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it will be any problem at all as you have only been away from the country 2 years.
As for jobs I did hear the number of applicants per job is around 12, its different for recent graduates but nowhere near 100 for the average man/woman. Jobs really arent that rare, my wife got the first job she had an interview for. You'll be fine.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 2:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For the reasons stated you have a fair chance.

It would help to know where you have been, why there and the reason for returning to the UK.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:42 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
I dont think it will be any problem at all as you have only been away from the country 2 years.
As for jobs I did hear the number of applicants per job is around 12, its different for recent graduates but nowhere near 100 for the average man/woman. Jobs really arent that rare, my wife got the first job she had an interview for. You'll be fine.
I have found the job situation far harder than I ever thought, but that may be my age and time out of the UK. It very much depends too on your skill set. I think the statement jobs aren't that rare is true but getting them may be for some folks!!!

the OP has only been away a short while so should be easy to show hab residence, but be confident that you may not need to show this as you may get a job quick and not need to rely on benefits !
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
... came in on a one way ticket (believe it or not some don't!)/
I'll believe it.
Round trip tickets are sometimes cheaper than one-way, such is the craziness of airline pricing.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I'll believe it.
Round trip tickets are sometimes cheaper than one-way, such is the craziness of airline pricing.
I've seen enough people say that to believe it, although I've not seen it myself. I've even seen two one way flights (there and back) with two different airlines cheaper than a return with either.

But if it helps convince the benefit authorities that one is home for good, it may be better to take a bit of a hit on a one way ticket.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I'll believe it.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've seen enough people say that to believe it, although I've not seen it myself. I've even seen two one way flights (there and back) with two different airlines cheaper than a return with either.

But if it helps convince the benefit authorities that one is home for good, it may be better to take a bit of a hit on a one way ticket.
I know it well; the travel agency said that a single is usually two thirds of a two way. Though they proved to be as effective as trying to pick a lock with a wet piece of tissue,-I have heard this from other sources.

It's the same way singles are slugged on accommodation.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

INTERESTING.......
Thought some older ex pats might find this interesting with regards people coming back to the UK with old UK paper driving license. As I had been back in the UK for two years I thought I had better exchange my old paper driving license after being told by the police that if caught with and old license I could face a 1000 pound fine plus 3 points on the new one when issued.
Anyway my old paper license started in 1976 and to expire in 2017 by that date I would be 70 years old. So filled in the form photo taken and sent of to the DVLA in Swansea with a cheque for 20 Pounds and waited. Well two weeks later my brand new UK drivers license arrived. Then 3 days later the post arrived and before I opened it I could see it was from the DVLA and thought oh oh. To my surprise was my cheque and something that said ( counterpart driving license ) no other explanation it just said keep safe and return of fee...... Perhaps it may be that in three years I have to renew again and that may be why I got the new one and money returned. I'm not complaining makes a change to get something back from a government agency.

Last edited by London1947; Aug 17th 2014 at 3:18 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Its still legal to drive on an old paper license and there is no fine or points for doing so. Not sure why you are told that but its not true. There is a plan to fully switch over at some point but its not yet and many people still only have a paper license.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
INTERESTING.......
Thought some older ex pats might find this interesting with regards people coming back to the UK with old UK paper driving license. As I had been back in the UK for two years I thought I had better exchange my old paper driving license after being told by the police that if caught with and old license I could face a 1000 pound fine plus 3 points on the new one when issued.
Anyway my old paper license started in 1976 and to expire in 2017 by that date I would be 70 years old. So filled in the form photo taken and sent of to the DVLA in Swansea with a cheque for 20 Pounds and waited. Well two weeks later my brand new UK drivers license arrived. Then 3 days later the post arrived and before I opened it I could see it was from the DVLA and thought oh oh. To my surprise was my cheque and something that said ( counterpart driving license ) no other explanation it just said keep safe and return of fee...... Perhaps it may be that in three years I have to renew again and that may be why I got the new one and money returned. I'm not complaining makes a change to get something back from a government agency.
The old paper license is being phased out, but for those with them they will still be legal. Incidentally there will be no UK tax disc after 1st October this year, they are being done away with, you will renew the tax on-line or at a post office. This is because now the police all use NPR systems to check.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The old paper license is being phased out, but for those with them they will still be legal. Incidentally there will be no UK tax disc after 1st October this year, they are being done away with, you will renew the tax on-line or at a post office. This is because now the police all use NPR systems to check.
I have a paper licence and a photocard, which has run out.

I went to the post office to renew it but they now take your picture there and then and the camera wasn't working so they couldn't do it.

But do I not need to renew that part?

(Apologies to the OP, I'm sorry I don't know the answers but hope things work out for you.)
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have a paper licence and a photocard, which has run out.

I went to the post office to renew it but they now take your picture there and then and the camera wasn't working so they couldn't do it.

But do I not need to renew that part?

(Apologies to the OP, I'm sorry I don't know the answers but hope things work out for you.)
As long as you have the paper one then you don't need the photocard to be legal.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
As long as you have the paper one then you don't need the photocard to be legal.
I need to change the address on it though, and the form wants both parts.

Interesting.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No you are totally wrong. I have asked the police it is not the case. Yes you can drive with the old paper one, but if you get stopped you will have a huge surprise, they will give you a ticket and you will get a summons plus a fine and 3 points on your new license. I have read many conflicting answers within this site. So I can only tell you what the cop told me. If you don't believe me just pull up to a cop car and ask them is this license still legal.

Last edited by London1947; Aug 17th 2014 at 5:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.