Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Worried that it will be a case of be careful what you wish for

Worried that it will be a case of be careful what you wish for

Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Nappster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried that it will be a case of be careful what you wish for

I've lived in LA for 6 years now, in a great neighborhood (Santa Monica) with loads to do on my doorstep.. But recently turned 40 and the luster of living in California has faded - although, to be honest, I have always been a bit homesick to some degree or another.

Would be going back solo so would be a big deal going it alone, but can't help but feel like the timing is right now. Especially as have started having health problems.

PS. Ever since I've been here, I convert $'s into GBP in my head whenever I buy something - does anyone else experience this?! Is it a sign of homesickness?!!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Napster I love the place you live. I think as we age (I'm older than you by at least decade) our priorities just change. I'm on my own in US and have been for most of my 30 years here. Had great times and saw places only ever saw back on telly in UK. Health becomes an issue as well. I don't have health insurance as my income can fluctuate greatly from one month to next. But I will be forced to get it this time or pay a higher penalty than this year's 95 bucks. I've made decision finally to move back. Huge weight lifted off shoulders but will take time. Good luck with whatever you decide..
Old Sep 29th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

MDD, you've had some great answers, and i would add to the voices saying do it now, you may regret it otherwise.

Your oldest child is 12, it's much harder to move once the children are teenagers, so this is the moment!

Your DH wants to go back, and has a job, and you would go to that lovely city, Bath--all of this puts you in a very good position compared to some other homesick expats.

You fear for your children and the effect of the move on them--well, this is just the human/parent condition, I reckon! If you stay, they have security and status quo (but maybe unhappy parents--not good at all!). If you go, they are nearer to extended family, and they are young enough to adapt easily to UK life...as someone else has said, their accents will probably be seen as very cool!

Plus you, their parents, will be where you want to be.

It's scary, and of course no-one knows how it will work out, but I incline to say...carpe diem!
Old Sep 29th 2014, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Perthhomeschool - no problem if you followed my early posts it was inevitably my child. I'm at peace with that whole piece of the pie now just the homesickness wells up periodically

Fulwood - I'm on a very similar plan its what keeps me going just every now and then...I get to thinking well if I was to just go. I can say with certainty that I will not be here for old age. The thought actually fills me with dread.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:44 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Fulwood - I'm on a very similar plan its what keeps me going just every now and then...I get to thinking well if I was to just go. I can say with certainty that I will not be here for old age. The thought actually fills me with dread.
+1. I imagine the climate in Nebraska is not very different to that in Toronto. The thought of being stuck here in future poor health and senile frailty stokes horror in my heart.

I'm 65 next year and out of here quicker than the blink of an eye.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Perthhomeschool - no problem if you followed my early posts it was inevitably my child. I'm at peace with that whole piece of the pie now just the homesickness wells up periodically

Yes, I had followed your earlier posts. Totally understandable about your child.

Mine is 22 and is pursing a graduate degree. We have postponed our move back until she graduates. Although she is in another state, she still needs to have somewhere to "come home to" and loved ones to fuss over her when she is on vacation. We get that, and since it is impractical and expensive for her to fly over to us in the UK right now, we will wait a little bit longer.

Every day I have those moments when I just want to up sticks and move. But I understand that we have committed to compromise in this situation. It remains a dream we are working towards, but for now, the future of our child takes precedence.

Only you can decide how much you are willing to forsake of your happiness. But chances are, if you returned before you may do so again. When you feel he is in a comfortable place and at the helm of his own future, you will be more inclined to move without reservations.

Wishing the very best of luck while you navigate this frustrating episode in your life.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1. I imagine the climate in Nebraska is not very different to that in Toronto. The thought of being stuck here in future poor health and senile frailty stokes horror in my heart.

I'm 65 next year and out of here quicker than the blink of an eye.
all of that Novo +1

Now let the truth be known - in addition, the weather is a huge factor as is the property (council) tax along with the upkeep & running costs of a home.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
all of that Novo +1

Now let the truth be known - in addition, the weather is a huge factor as is the property (council) tax along with the upkeep & running costs of a home.
It's true that property tax is high here (mine is about $7500 pa, compared to less than 1700 euro total for TF & TdH in my French house of similar size) but I can't complain about that since the property tax is based on property values and I'll be flogging my RH home in the spring.