Worried about coming back

Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Desert_fairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Worried about coming back

Originally Posted by YorkshireUK
I don't know much about the area I am afraid but I do know that children that do not have a school eventually qualify for the fair access protocol. This usually elevates you up towards the top (if not the top) of the waiting list.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fair-access-protocols-in-school-admissions
Thank you! This is really interesting- I didn’t know this.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert_fairy
Ok all, thank you all for supportive feedback. It’s going to be very truck to get the girls into any of the outstanding state schools as most are oversubscribed and have waiting lists already. We have decided to go with the Abbey School but would like to know more about the secondary school and what it’s like? Are the girls nice there?
The area we are thinking of is Earley as it’s near to the school - any recommendations of streets to live in and what to avoid?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
I would strongly suggest that you wait until you've visited before you decide on a school and a place to live. Earley isn't particularly nice IMO and you might decide to live elsewhere. I also wouldn't pick a school without visiting it first, so much of it is about gut instinct and whether or not your child thinks she would be happy there, you may go and look at it and hate it (we did that with a few schools we thought we'd love, such as Kendrick).

Waiting lists for state schools mean very little, people move all the time so if you're near the top of the waiting list you'd be unlikely to have to wait long for a place unless it's a really oversubscribed school.

If you're still planning a trip next month (nearly this month, eeek!) then I'd wait and have a good look around all areas and at lots of schools.

Good luck.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 4:10 pm
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, we came back to the UK over 5 years ago and let me reassure you that the UK is still the friendly welcoming place it has always been. Disregard 99% of the 'news' as it is mostly scaremongering. Following the Brexit vote there was an increase from a very low level. The overwhelming majority of people are not racist or xenophobic.
I'm not a huge fan of reading, plenty of much much nicer places to live.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Racism and Xenophobia are definitely on the increase all over the UK
This is our impression too from the the news we hear from here. Granted it may not be overly pervasive, but based on numerous incidents it seems to be on the rise nevertheless. Brexit seems to have unleashed some previously repressed sentiments.

Last edited by Richard8655; Dec 29th 2017 at 12:42 am.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
This is our impression too from the the news we hear from here. Granted it may not be overly pervasive, but based on numerous incidents it seems to be on the rise nevertheless. Brexit seems to have unleashed some previously repressed sentiments.
The knuckle draggers were always there. Certain news outlets are now just reporting them as a tidal wave of hate unleashed by Brexit as it lends itself to the political narrative they wish to create. It's notable that those that don't live in the UK perceive a problem whereas those that do live in the UK do not.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The knuckle draggers were always there. Certain news outlets are now just reporting them as a tidal wave of hate unleashed by Brexit as it lends itself to the political narrative they wish to create. It's notable that those that don't live in the UK perceive a problem whereas those that do live in the UK do not.
Well, it would have been a questionable narrative for the Polish Embassy in London to voice these concerns last year if there was nothing there:

“The Polish Embassy in London has said it is "shocked and deeply concerned" by reports of xenophobic abuse directed against the Polish community following the Brexit vote.”

Brexit: Polish Embassy responds after spark in reports of hate crime and racial abuse | The Independent

It’s not surprising that non-immigrant UK residents would not necessarily perceive many of these issues.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The deterioration has been incremental. Those living in Britain have not noticed the incremental changes. Those outside the shores of Albion who return are more likely to see it.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 5:06 am
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes absolutely spot on, those with a vested interest would have us believe it's common and widespread when the facts are very different. In the scheme of things it's a small number of incidents by a tiny % of the population. Not a great thing to see but we shouldn't exaggerate the scale of it.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:44 am
Just Joined

So many messages! We are planning our first trip to the U.K. next year (4 weeks time) and are looking forward to seeing what it is like before we make our final decision. It all depends on how the girls and I feel when walking the streets of Reading and visiting schools.
@Richard8655 you are spot on - Brexit has lent a hand to racism. I grew up in the North - East of England and had no racial issues until all this Brexit began to brew. Hence we decided to spend our summer somewhere else rather than Home (U.K)
Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you! We are planning on coming in January to look at schools and see what vibes we get.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 6:51 am
Banned

So many messages! We are planning our first trip to the U.K. next year (4 weeks time) and are looking forward to seeing what it is like before we make our final decision. It all depends on how the girls and I feel when walking the streets of Reading and visiting schools.
@Richard8655 you are spot on - Brexit has lent a hand to racism. I grew up in the North - East of England and had no racial issues until all this Brexit began to brew. Hence we decided to spend our summer somewhere else rather than Home (U.K)
I may be totally wrong but it almost seems as though you are looking for reasons not to return. Can I ask where you are currently living ?
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozziechris
I may be totally wrong but it almost seems as though you are looking for reasons not to return. Can I ask where you are currently living ?
I’m based in Qatar at present been here nearly a decade! Girls have spent their childhood here and it is a safe environment. They are out playing with friends till late, go shopping and have no concept of safety as it is extremely safe here!
TBH the lifestyle change will be a struggle, but we know here can’t last forever as the economy is beginning to struggle since the embargo began.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 8:22 am
Banned

I’m based in Qatar at present been here nearly a decade! Girls have spent their childhood here and it is a safe environment. They are out playing with friends till late, go shopping and have no concept of safety as it is extremely safe here!
TBH the lifestyle change will be a struggle, but we know here can’t last forever as the economy is beginning to struggle since the embargo began.
We bought our kids here from Australia, they love it. I have never felt unsafe in this country, ever. Our kids go out and do normal kids stuff and they are safe. Anywhere in the world would probably feel unsafe compared to somewhere like Qatar but I could never imagine living somewhere like that myself.
The UK is a safe country using any criteria you could come up with.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Well if you follow the news racism is on the rise everywhere in the world but I doubt it's that bad in the UK and again just depends on the location. Racism even exists if people are from the same race. You mentioned the Polish Embassy in London is concerned. Ironically the Polish are all over the world but when you go to Poland you hardly see anyone from a different race and the government is closing the doors for refugees too so it's all relative. Even Qatar was mentioned but to me that place would be racist as they don't allow all types of clothing and even when it comes to marriage foreigners are not really accepted either, not to mention religion. Europe is very open in that sense.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 29th 2017 at 10:19 am.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

400,000 Ukrainians welcomed into Poland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.