Reload this Page >

work contract/payment place.

work contract/payment place.

Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

natt3h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default work contract/payment place.

Hi all,

I'm about to start a new job for a UK company setting up their operations in Hong Kong and I wonder if anyone can help advise on the contract/payment terms.

The company is UK based/registered, but main operations are in Dubai, and I will be moving to Hong Kong to set establish an office there... so my question is this:

If my contract is signed established from the UK am I okay to be paid by the Dubai office in to my Hong Kong bank account?
I'm trying to figure out if I should perhaps be paid directly in to my UK bank account, or whether I'll have problems because of the three country thing. Either way, there will be paper trails for all of it, though I'd rather be on the safe side and get advice from people in the know.

Thanks in advance all - really appreciate the fantastic community here.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work contract/payment place.

What are your circumstances and motivation for asking this question?

You have posted in the family visa forum, so are you anticipating try to use your income to support spouse/family visa application? ..... If not this question should probably be moved to another forum.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

hi, yes i'm asking this question in anticipation of using the income to support my wifes visa application in a few months.

I'm aware that I need to have a job paying over 18.6k for 6 months, but i dont see any mention of rules where the income is generated etc.
As the contract is set from the UK but they payments are made outside I just want to make sure that I can still use the income to support my wifes application. If anyone has had a similar circumstance and could help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again
Old Jun 18th 2017, 11:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The income needs to be your income that will continue when you live in the UK. When your spouse moves to the UK, you need to be living in the UK - in other words you cannot get a spouse visa for your spouse and continue to live and work outside the UK. So when you say you are "moving to Hong Kong you won't be eligible to sponsor a visa for your spouse while you are living in Hong Kong irrespective of where you are paid.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Ah yes, this isn't a problem as it's a 6 moth assignment then I'll be returning to the UK, at which time I'll apply for the visa.
The income is mine, it's above the required annual amount and I will be living in the UK when I apply for the visa for my wife, though I'll have been living in the UK for around a month when I apply for the spouse visa. I just am uncertain as to whether my salary going from Dubai in to Hong Kong will be an issue, as it doesn't say whether the salary needs to be paid in to a UK bank account or not.

Apologies if I've not been clear, I appreciate your help!
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I think it only says the funds have to be instantly accessible and held by you for the previous 6 months. So long as your contract of employment is with a UK company AND you are based in the UK , albeit being seconded overseas from time to time, I don't think it matters. If you were working in the UK would they just pay into your UK bank account?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply!
The option is there to be paid in to my UK account yes, but not while in Hong Kong.

The last thing I want to do is to have to wait any longer than necessary to put my application in, as I'm 100% sure you're all aware of the upset it causes being far away from loved ones for that long!
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by quiltman
I think it only says the funds have to be instantly accessible and held by you for the previous 6 months. ....
I think you are confusing the "savings" and "income" routes.
Originally Posted by natt3h
Ah yes, this isn't a problem as it's a 6 moth assignment then I'll be returning to the UK, at which time I'll apply for the visa.
The income is mine, it's above the required annual amount and I will be living in the UK when I apply for the visa for my wife, though I'll have been living in the UK for around a month when I apply for the spouse visa. I just am uncertain as to whether my salary going from Dubai in to Hong Kong will be an issue, as it doesn't say whether the salary needs to be paid in to a UK bank account or not. ....
AFAIK it doesn't matter where your salary is paid so long as it continues when you return to the UK. This would be analogous to you having to a job overseas paying at least £18,600 pa and holding a job offer in the UK for job paying at least £18,600 pa (starting within 3 months).
Old Jun 21st 2017, 3:01 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your response, all.

I appreciate the help.