Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Women born early 50's - UK state pension changes - how will it effect.

Women born early 50's - UK state pension changes - how will it effect.

Old Nov 11th 2015, 8:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Women born early 50's - UK state pension changes - how will it effect.

Originally Posted by nun
The letter code is vital here Class 1A is very different from Class 1D. Just get a pension forecast. It's easy to request and comes in a few weeks.

I was going by the fact I was always a full time employee. I would have no idea if my NIC class was other than that.

Yes. We completed the forms yesterday and posted them off.

Hi Capp. Is a bit complicated isn't it.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women born early 50's - UK state pension changes - how will it effect.

Just to update in case any of the following is useful:

I called the pension people today.
As you know, the UK is transitioning over to a new pension system
Transitional people (of which I am one) are calculated as per both old style and new pension and are always given the higher of the two calculations.
I asked if I could pay "top up" contributions
I was told to contact them post April 2016 when the new pension will be in play and they will better know the amounts of the top up contributions. They will also put me through to an advisor at that point who can assist with whether or not to do this (or if I can do this).
There is a max pension amount under the new rules
You can top up up to that amount but not beyond it.

It was a complicated conversation, but the person I spoke to handled it very well.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 24th 2015 at 3:48 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, good to know.
Old Nov 24th 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I have 34 years of contributions
But also (apparently) the max number of years I can have under the new rules is another 7 qualifying years
Once again (apparently) I only need to make voluntary contributions for an additional 4 years (out of a possible 7) to get to the max pension I can.

I don't understand this fully but sort of.

I suggest anyone who is unclear, or is wondering how all this applies to them, calls the pension centre and speaks to them. I wouldn't leave it till next April, 2016 as I suspect they will be overwhelmed with callers then.

S
Old Nov 24th 2015, 7:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. Thanks for the update Snowy.

I'm still waiting for the pension forecast. Phoning from New Zealand would not be easy.
Old Nov 25th 2015, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

No, I appreciate that.
I have no idea but I'm guessing that it must be worse than calling from BC, Canada (time zone wise).

But you may find you need to speak to them in the end even after getting your statement, for clarification (as I did). I notice you can email, but that they won't deal with personal queries whereas on the phone they will talk you through your situation.

S