Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

wiring money between US and UK

wiring money between US and UK

Old May 1st 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default wiring money between US and UK

My USA spouse will be joining me on a settlement visa next month.

She wants to transfer a sum of money from her local US bank to a UK account but will not be in a position to open the UK account until she arrives.

The issue is that her US bank has no facility for online international wire transfers and can only make a wire transfer if she visits the bank in person (not possible in her circumstances).

Any ideas or options how she can wire the money over or should she open up a new US bank account that specializes in online or telephone banking? If the latter, any suggestions of a good online bank?
Old May 1st 2016, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wiring money between US and UK

Just like everyone else in the US is recommended to do, use a currency exchange service.

Xe.com or the numerous others that are licensed to operate in which ever state she happens to be in. Set that up for her US account before she leaves and then when she's in the UK and has an account, use that to transfer the money.

Get a better rate too.
Old May 1st 2016, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Just like everyone else in the US is recommended to do, use a currency exchange service.

Xe.com or the numerous others that are licensed to operate in which ever state she happens to be in. Set that up for her US account before she leaves and then when she's in the UK and has an account, use that to transfer the money.

Get a better rate too.
Ok, never used them before.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Also, have a look at Transferwise. They've been getting good reviews.
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Also Currency Broker, International Money Transfers – TorFX is a good exchange
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We've used worldfirst for many years.
Please be aware that you will be required to open an account with these money transfer companies and their security procedures for making sure you are a real person can take several weeks. Whichever one you choose, sign up well in advance so that all is ready for when you need to make the transfer.

Also, make sure that they are able to do business in whichever state you live in - not all companies operate in all states.
Old May 2nd 2016, 5:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I opened up an account with Transferwise today, and made a transfer today, from Canada to the UK, which will be in my bank on Friday.

My account with Xe.com was opened a few years ago, but I don't remember it taking more than a couple of days to set up.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Setting up the process now.
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I opened up an account with Transferwise today, and made a transfer today, from Canada to the UK, which will be in my bank on Friday.

My account with Xe.com was opened a few years ago, but I don't remember it taking more than a couple of days to set up.
I was referring specifically to companies having to do business in the US. I would hate for the OP to wait " a couple of days" before needing the money transferred only to find out that they had a company that 1) couldn't do business in their state (I meant USA of course) and 2) that account verification takes at least a week. Which was my experience.
Old May 2nd 2016, 8:13 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

OK. The USA always seems to be more complicated.