Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Peasant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by scot47
Here is a plan. Come back. Work for three years. THEN go to uni. Hey presto, domestic rates for student fees, and also eligibility for student loans.
I guess that's an option but I don't really want to work for three years before uni as I am keen to get started with my degree. I suppose I could if I had no other option though
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Peasant
I guess that's an option but I don't really want to work for three years before uni as I am keen to get started with my degree. I suppose I could if I had no other option though
Work three years and do Open University (Britain's largest University) part time while you are working.
Courses - The Open University
Just take less than a full load of classes the first year while you get into the habit of study. Even if you never complete an OU degree you will make a better student and you will have a clearer idea of what you want out of life. Or at the very least you will have a jump start on later studying and find it easier to excel.

Depending on your field you may be able to try to get a scholarship which will pay the entire fees for you at the same time.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Work three years and do Open University (Britain's largest University) part time while you are working.
Courses - The Open University
Just take less than a full load of classes the first year while you get into the habit of study. Even if you never complete an OU degree you will make a better student and you will have a clearer idea of what you want out of life. Or at the very least you will have a jump start on later studying and find it easier to excel.

Depending on your field you may be able to try to get a scholarship which will pay the entire fees for you at the same time.
That's a great idea. I will definitely think about that
Old Mar 24th 2017, 2:43 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It's mainly just the student loans that I am concerned about. I don't think it would be possible for me to go back if I had to pay international fees as they are so expensive.
Is there much difference between the home fees and the international fees now? Either way, try a forum/ Google search to get your head around what getting 'domestic' status for student loans entails.

Originally Posted by scot47
Here is a plan. Come back. Work for three years. THEN go to uni. Hey presto, domestic rates for student fees, and also eligibility for student loans.
Yes, that's a fine plan if the aim of university study is solely a degree. We're currently putting our first daughter through university here in Australia and it isn't just about the degree she exits with. Taking more than a year out before starting means it is likely that you're really in quite a different space to your cohort and can increase social isolation, etc. Works for some but not the simple plan you present it as.

That's a great idea. I will definitely think about that
Make sure you take the time to think about what you want from university more broadly. Have you compared university loan system in Oz to the UK? Have you compared the actual courses you are thinking about doing?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for that response - it gives me some hope at last! I will definitely consider doing that. My parents have worked and paid taxes in the UK pretty much all of their lives so that would definitely be worth mentioning.

Hi, I have mentioned our situation in past threads but it was a while ago since last mentioned so to save you some work scrolling back through past threads I will quickly tell you our story. Two sons spent 14 years in Aus we moved back and our eldest went to Uni straight away and was not classed as an overseas student by either the Uni or UCAS (whom you have to apply to for a uni course and place) our youngest went to college to study GCSE's in maths, English and Science and also an Advanced Diploma, when he finished two years later he was also granted a Uni place and was also not classed as an overseas Student. We might of just been lucky but we told the truth when filling out forms etc online, we also spoke to the University course Tutor and their enrolment department to introduce ourselves and also to ask for information etc. We do know of other students who went overseas with their families and were also granted home status even though they spent most of their lives living abroad, the majority also said that it was not their choice to be taken overseas and that they planned on staying in the UK and not returning to their adopted countries after University. Any help just ask. Good luck
Old Mar 27th 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
... were also granted home status even though they spent most of their lives living abroad, the majority also said that it was not their choice to be taken overseas and that they planned on staying in the UK and not returning to their adopted countries after University. Any help just ask. Good luck
However, being a dual citizen puts the kibosh on claim of being an unwilling or temporary emigrant. And you don't want to give up dual citizenship to save a few shekels on University fees.

By the way, your first choice of Liverpool is an excellent University, as is the OU in its own (but very different) way. If you could get a job on Merseyside that would be great, the cost of living and the quality of living for young single people (nightlife) are great in and around Liverpool. Are you sure you don't want a career in the Merchant Navy? There are multiple scholarships for that and Liverpool has a strong maritime provenance.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

However, being a dual citizen puts the kibosh on claim of being an unwilling or temporary emigrant. And you don't want to give up dual citizenship to save a few shekels on University fees.

By the way, your first choice of Liverpool is an excellent University, as is the OU in its own (but very different) way. If you could get a job on Merseyside that would be great, the cost of living and the quality of living for young single people (nightlife) are great in and around Liverpool. Are you sure you don't want a career in the Merchant Navy? There are multiple scholarships for that and Liverpool has a strong maritime provenance.

Our two sons have dual nationality and the Universities also knew of this but the people we know who applied (and mentioned they were only children etc when they migrated)also had dual citizenship and were still offered home status. Our eldest son completed his University education at Liverpool John Moore's (after studying at Derby Uni) he commuted from home but there are lots of options for student accommodation both in Manchester and Liverpool. Home status in England is were the fee's are less than overseas students and that the student loan companies offer you loans to help with accommodation etc, both our Sons were offered this although our eldest paid his own way so had no debts.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, I have mentioned our situation in past threads but it was a while ago since last mentioned so to save you some work scrolling back through past threads I will quickly tell you our story. Two sons spent 14 years in Aus we moved back and our eldest went to Uni straight away and was not classed as an overseas student by either the Uni or UCAS (whom you have to apply to for a uni course and place) our youngest went to college to study GCSE's in maths, English and Science and also an Advanced Diploma, when he finished two years later he was also granted a Uni place and was also not classed as an overseas Student. We might of just been lucky but we told the truth when filling out forms etc online, we also spoke to the University course Tutor and their enrolment department to introduce ourselves and also to ask for information etc. We do know of other students who went overseas with their families and were also granted home status even though they spent most of their lives living abroad, the majority also said that it was not their choice to be taken overseas and that they planned on staying in the UK and not returning to their adopted countries after University. Any help just ask. Good luck
Hi, sorry for the really late reply but I completely forgot I had made this post.

That's really great that both your sons managed to get home fees. I will definitely mention that I was only a child when we moved here and I didn't want to come in the first place (which is actually true).
Can I ask how it was possible for your eldest son to start uni staright away? I thought that you finished school in year 12 in Australia, does that not mean he would have to wait until the September after he finished school in Australia (assuming school in Australia finishes in November/December) to go to uni in the uk? I hope that makes sense but basically I just thought I would have to wait another year before I could start uni in the uk because they do an extra year of schooling in the uk. I'm not really sure about this stuff so I'm probably completely wrong
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, sorry for the late reply

Yes I've heard lots about the night life in Liverpool. I was actually kind of interested in joining the army or something like that for a while so maybe the Navy could be a good choice. I'm not really sure that type of career is for me though because I'm not really cut out for that stuff but I may look into it. Does the Navy do any sort of gap year training or anything like that because I know the army does and it looks quite interesting?
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 7:10 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was this?