Why we are going home

Old May 6th 2007, 8:23 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why we are going home

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Had that little scene so many times whilst in UK in january. Cannot work out why everyone calls the UK shop assistants miserable , most spoke to us, be it just a quick "thanks love" or a "where are you from, ohhhhhhh wish I was you, australia ohhhhhhhhh that must be paradise." Always gave them a big smile and told them it has the same problems as anywhere else but stinking hot and we were glad to be out of it for a while. Poor beggars thought we were mad

Enjoy your trip back, we loved every minute.
All the shop assistants I have come across so far have been polite and friendly. The other day in Sainsburys one of them was sat there sitting looking puzzled, started scanning my shopping, and suddenly said "Oh....hello...knew I'd forgotten something". I delight in telling how lucky they are to have a chair to sit on, and to choose whether or not they're packing the bags!!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 10:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
All the shop assistants I have come across so far have been polite and friendly. The other day in Sainsburys one of them was sat there sitting looking puzzled, started scanning my shopping, and suddenly said "Oh....hello...knew I'd forgotten something". I delight in telling how lucky they are to have a chair to sit on, and to choose whether or not they're packing the bags!!!!
I don't know whether I was just lucky last time I went home, but every shop assistant was so nice! They were helpful and polite, without being false and gushing. My mate kept saying that he didn't believe it cos it was unusual, but reading stuff here I'm not so sure. I had a similar chat to yours with an assistant in Boots in Bristol, couldn't believe the stuff I was taking back cos I can't get it here, and was stunned when I said I love to go home on holiday. She said she thought constant sunshire would stop people being unhappy! Then she broke loads of rules by selling stuff in 12s that you can normally only buy in 3s, happy to help me stockpile when she knew why!
Old May 6th 2007, 6:52 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't know whether I was just lucky last time I went home, but every shop assistant was so nice! They were helpful and polite, without being false and gushing. My mate kept saying that he didn't believe it cos it was unusual, but reading stuff here I'm not so sure. I had a similar chat to yours with an assistant in Boots in Bristol, couldn't believe the stuff I was taking back cos I can't get it here, and was stunned when I said I love to go home on holiday. She said she thought constant sunshire would stop people being unhappy! Then she broke loads of rules by selling stuff in 12s that you can normally only buy in 3s, happy to help me stockpile when she knew why!

When I was in Boots I was SO grateful that no-one came up to me and offered help. If I need help.........I'll ask for it!!! I sometimes avoid chemists in Oz, because I just want to be left alone to browse and look!! I also used my Nectar card in Sainsburys..........she swiped it and said "oh you've got £5 on there - do you want it off your shopping?". The Oz equivalent of that is Flybuys - what a waste of time that is!!! I've been saving for years and still haven't got anything worthwhile out of it!!
Old May 6th 2007, 9:32 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in Boots I was SO grateful that no-one came up to me and offered help. If I need help.........I'll ask for it!!! I sometimes avoid chemists in Oz, because I just want to be left alone to browse and look!! I also used my Nectar card in Sainsburys..........she swiped it and said "oh you've got £5 on there - do you want it off your shopping?". The Oz equivalent of that is Flybuys - what a waste of time that is!!! I've been saving for years and still haven't got anything worthwhile out of it!!
So glad that you are enjoying your visit Mrs B. I've found that most assistants in the shops here are really friendly and helpful too. If you need help or advice, you ask for it and they give it - it's so good to just browse in a shop without being hassled every thirty seconds. On the odd occassion that the assistant has looked a bit grumpy, I've started a conversation and they've been only too happy to chat.

I personally feel that assistants here get a rough deal as many customers are downright rude to them. My daughter works part-time in a shop when she isn't in college. She's only an 18 year old kid doing a bit of work to pay for her nights out but has actually been reduced to tears from abusive customers, shouting at her and blaming her for things that quite clearly are nothing to do with her. I just wonder if those customers dishing out the abuse would speak to the Chief Executive in the same way. Doubt it somehow.
Old May 7th 2007, 12:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same with chemist's shops here. The worst bit is that I just want to browse cos all the products are new to me and so I don't actually know what I want. One reason why I've resorted to stocking up when I'm back home is because I hate being questioned all the time about why I want some particular cream and want condition its ofr etc- and I'm talking off the shelf stuff, not pharmacist-controlled products. I can buy the stuff at home and bring it over, or get it sent,without any of the hassle and without having to go into the life history of my embarrassing ailments with soem complete stranger. Does annoy me though cos it makes life so difficult!

As for Flybuys, complete waste. In 5 years, all The Bloke has got to show for it is a Lego set! Yet he will kick up merry hell if I forget to use my card on Coles or anywhere!