Why do they bother?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:32 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do they bother?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bit difficult to do anything as its a rental house. The Bloke adores air con, but believes it should be on all the time - had it in the last place and it was like living in a freezer! I used to put on woolly jumpers to go indoors, when it was 35 degrees + outside! I'm a natural night owl though so the going to bed late doesn't really worry me that much. I just think sometimes people that haven't lived in Qld don't really understand the ongoing heat and how draining it is.
I don't blame him I work in the outdoors so live in air con at home

Last edited by toandfro; Jan 13th 2007 at 7:07 am. Reason: really need to reteach my fingers
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Ok, its an "average" Saturday - I went to bed late as that way I'm knackered so I sleep in the 24 degrees we had last night. Got up late, hot, humid, sticky, soaked to the skin with sweat putting out the rubbish and sorting out the washing. I've now taken refuge in the coolest corner of the house. Its 28 degrees which is kak, but it's get much hotter yet.The Bloke is working, then wandering round the shops, then he'll come home and sit in front of the TV till bedtime cos he feels the heat and won't move outside the house unless forced.

In the UK, I'd have been up earlier, walked down to the supermarket and gone wandering round Brighton's Lanes and the fab little shops - can't even dream of that here - its just too hot for a 40 minute walk unless you want to be a wet rag when you get there. And even then its just a faceless Chermside Mall. So I rarely go shopping, as I can't drive, and he has the car anyway. Back home, I'd get the bus back with the shopping, curl up with lunch and The Times, watch a bit of TV, potter about, then be out ths evening with mates for a drink or a meal or just a drive. here my few mates have retreated home to distant suburbs and I'll see them again at work on Monday.

I feel I'm isolated, and I feel a lot of my life is ruled by the heat. Back home you could still go places, regardless of the weather, as cold gloomy wet days are less physically draining than hot humid ones.
Muchof the same
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:49 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
... and Hutch is the head Abbot.
OMG! YES! He is! WTF is he doing here then? Spying? Beware....Hutch alert has been activated

Hutch = OZ version of Tokyo Rose...just not as pretty
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:35 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, its an "average" Saturday - I went to bed late as that way I'm knackered so I sleep in the 24 degrees we had last night. Got up late, hot, humid, sticky, soaked to the skin with sweat putting out the rubbish and sorting out the washing. I've now taken refuge in the coolest corner of the house. Its 28 degrees which is kak, but it's get much hotter yet.The Bloke is working, then wandering round the shops, then he'll come home and sit in front of the TV till bedtime cos he feels the heat and won't move outside the house unless forced.

In the UK, I'd have been up earlier, walked down to the supermarket and gone wandering round Brighton's Lanes and the fab little shops - can't even dream of that here - its just too hot for a 40 minute walk unless you want to be a wet rag when you get there. And even then its just a faceless Chermside Mall. So I rarely go shopping, as I can't drive, and he has the car anyway. Back home, I'd get the bus back with the shopping, curl up with lunch and The Times, watch a bit of TV, potter about, then be out ths evening with mates for a drink or a meal or just a drive. here my few mates have retreated home to distant suburbs and I'll see them again at work on Monday.

I feel I'm isolated, and I feel a lot of my life is ruled by the heat. Back home you could still go places, regardless of the weather, as cold gloomy wet days are less physically draining than hot humid ones.
I can imagine what that feels like, I spent most of my time in Brisbane hopping between air conditioned hotel to air conditioned malls and car. The air in Oz is so hot sometimes that even sitting in the shade is unpleasant, it must be very draining to have to work and sleep in temperatures like that, not good when it starts affecting one's social life either.

Sometimes here in NZ we've had fans on in the bedrooms at night during the summer because it does get warm and quite humid The big problem with our climate is that it is so changeable, you can't really rely on it that much to stay dry or not be windy. Could be on the beach one day getting sunburnt and the next indoors sheltering from the rain.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TopCat3
I think it is a great article, well-written, the passion and vitriol carefully moderated by dry humour and directness that hits the spot without being offensive or overly disparaging. Thanks for the link.

I can't comment on Dubai but it must be hard for a woman who is not part of a hetero couple, which it seems was her situation.

Haven't lived in Melbourne but isn't what she is saying akin to what Barry Humphries is saying when he is being "Dame Edna"?

I used to like the remoteness but as there is more sand in the bottom of my life's hourglass than the top, I'm beginning to see its disadvantages, especially now that travel to Europe is so easy (EC passport) and so cheap (EasyJet etc). Those things didn't exist 20years ago when I was getting ready to leave the UK. I feel I want to experience more in the next 20 years of my life, which will take me to my mid-seventies (crikey!!!) than I could staying "down here".

Special thanks to Blowfly for acknowledging and answering my post so well. MInd if I ask what part of Qld you're in? No need to be too specific. "Top end" or "Brisbane metro" or "Sunshine hinterland" type of info is all I'm interested in. Sorry to learn you are not happy. At least you know how you feel and what you want. I don't.

Hi I live in central Qld,perhaps I would feel better if I wasn't so isolated.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blowfly
Hi I live in central Qld,perhaps I would feel better if I wasn't so isolated.
OMG! :scared: No wonder you are so miserable.
Maybe if you were in a vibrant city like Sydney you would feel like a different person.
Regional Aust is a whole different kettle of fish. I know when I moved 500Km up the NSW coast to the Coffs Harbour area for a few months, how different life was. I was chewing the carpet with boredom after 6-9 months and came back to Sydney after 14 months. And that's a coastal area with holiday attractions etc.
No, it's Sydney or nowhere for me. I don't even have any inclination to see any more of Australia now. I've seen most of it except far north Qld and the Kimberley area of WA, done all the cities, seen the centre etc.

Please keep your chin up (it helps the sweat drip off ) and make an effort at some stage to visit the cities if you can afford to, to stay sane. Take care
TC