Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:07 pm
Merlot

Default Re: Why do some people resent people who are happy in the UK?

Originally Posted by kiwichild
They aren't happy with their lives and maybe feel they have to run the UK (and those who return) down so as to justify to themselves their reason for moving and staying put. Sad really.
Well said

Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:35 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Well said
Thank You
Old Apr 9th 2005, 1:43 pm
Merlot

Thank You
Funny story this week is that at a family wedding last weekend, I had to endure an English couple who had migrated to Perth, WA a few years back. They were back for a holiday.

Firstly, to get past their big heads was a challenge. They never shut up harping in about this, that and the other they had in Australia. Power to them, if they have worked hard and are happy, so be it.

BUT, when I asked if they were happy, the answer was they would come back tomorrow if they had the same lifestyle (Mortgage free house, pool, two cars, etc). The under current was they had this but no personal happiness/contentment and were hell bent on proving to family and friends back in the UK that they had "Made it".

To me they were so far off making it! Shame that money was their only pleasure.

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:04 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Funny story this week is that at a family wedding last weekend, I had to endure an English couple who had migrated to Perth, WA a few years back. They were back for a holiday.

Firstly, to get past their big heads was a challenge. They never shut up harping in about this, that and the other they had in Australia. Power to them, if they have worked hard and are happy, so be it.

BUT, when I asked if they were happy, the answer was they would come back tomorrow if they had the same lifestyle (Mortgage free house, pool, two cars, etc). The under current was they had this but no personal happiness/contentment and were hell bent on proving to family and friends back in the UK that they had "Made it".

To me they were so far off making it! Shame that money was their only pleasure.

M
sadly it seems so many fall down thinking these things are important. Money and aqusitions are valuable, but what is in the soul and heart, much more so.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:18 pm
Merlot

sadly it seems so many fall down thinking these things are important. Money and aqusitions are valuable, but what is in the soul and heart, much more so.
Seems we travel on the same wave length!

M

Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Is it seen as really trendy in the UK if you have lived somewhere like the US or Australia?

When I was back in 2000, I never "boasted" about having lived in the Bahamas and US for 17 years, in fact I tended to avoid talking about it unless someone asked a specific question. Generally, people didn't get too excited if they knew I'd been in the States - though where I lived in Scotland, people were pretty well grounded and proud to be from Scotland, I think.

I notice on TV shows that presenters often wear T-shirts or ball caps or other clothes with "NYC", "Miami" or some other US place name. Think it's a bit of a shame they don't take more pride in their own country and wear a T-shirt with "Bognor" on it or something (well, maybe not Bognor, but you know what I mean).
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:44 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by dunroving
Is it seen as really trendy in the UK if you have lived somewhere like the US or Australia?

When I was back in 2000, I never "boasted" about having lived in the Bahamas and US for 17 years, in fact I tended to avoid talking about it unless someone asked a specific question. Generally, people didn't get too excited if they knew I'd been in the States - though where I lived in Scotland, people were pretty well grounded and proud to be from Scotland, I think.

I notice on TV shows that presenters often wear T-shirts or ball caps or other clothes with "NYC", "Miami" or some other US place name. Think it's a bit of a shame they don't take more pride in their own country and wear a T-shirt with "Bognor" on it or something (well, maybe not Bognor, but you know what I mean).
I think if you go over to any holiday resort in Spain or the like you will see these British T-shirts been worn with pride whilst in the gutter, such as

Brits on the P**s
S****horpe Slappers
Drunken Hens from Hartlepool

The list goes on.

Or seeing the England Soccer shirts been worn with pride whilst scrapping in the streets or being arrested in Portugal.

I am joking with these as I do agree with your point, no true national pride.

M