Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Whether to buy parent's flat?

Whether to buy parent's flat?

Old Nov 29th 2014, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

MDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whether to buy parent's flat?

Hey all

I returned to the UK a few months back and my elderly father wants me to buy his flat as an investment for myself (and possibly as somewhere to stay in the future). The good thing is that since he's been a tenant for several years he can get a good discount (more than half price) on a 'right to buy' scheme. I'm tempted but there are issues such as the flat can only be bought in my father's name and there are other potential challenges.

Has anyone else been in this/similar situation? Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2014, 10:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whether to buy parent's flat?

A few points to consider:

Firstly, you do need to protect yourself. Only you know how good your relationship is with your father and if you have any brothers or sisters, how much they might be expecting to inherit.

I'd discuss the deal with a solicitor. Depending on the rules under which your father is buying, it might be possible for you to lend the money formally to your father, like a mortgage. The house would be in his name, but you'd have the right to get your money back if it was sold.

Secondly, if it is a flat, you need to look at how much you are likely to end up paying in ground rent and maintenance charges for the building or the estate.

You also need to consider how easily the flat could be sold. In other words, how good an investment it really is.

Right to Buys often are a bargain, but you don't want to end up with a property that is impossible to sell and expensive to maintain.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

MDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond reputeMDiligent has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thanks for those points and the need to protect myself etc. If I live with my father for at least one year then I'm eligible to buy it jointly with him. There are other potential issues further down the line though so I'm going to think about it for now. Cheers
Old Nov 30th 2014, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

If it's council, they have the worst reputation for high maintenance fees. Typically they will charge a lot to the peeps who have bought their flats to cover the cost for the people who are still tenants.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Oh ok... do you know how high fees can be, say for a town in northern England? Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDiligent
Oh ok... do you know how high fees can be, say for a town in northern England? Cheers
I would ask some neighbours or phone the council as it can vary a lot, depending if there is a shared boiler for hot water or waste chutes, gardens etc etc. You need to find the amounts for your specific case.

Of course even then they may for example decide to replace the roof and charge the owners £5K each to cover the cost for the whole block as they cannot charge the tenants.

I'm not trying to scare you. I own a leasehold flat myself, albeit not ex-council. It was my belief that freeholders are not allowed to do substantial work without getting the leaseholders' permission. We had work done on the outside of our building (just a Victorian house converted to 4 flats) and they did seek permission from the owners. It cost £1500 each but worth it because the front did need work).

Maybe they don't always follow the law though, you do read of bad cases.

Last edited by LondonSquirrel; Dec 1st 2014 at 1:39 pm. Reason: correction in spelling
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you go ahead, your solicitor will obtain details of the maintenance charges for you to examine before you proceed.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks again for that.. cheers
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 1:59 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Whether to buy parent's flat?

Beware: there are some highly relevant issues raised here when considering whether or not to buy a local authority (council) or housing association flat (or house) -

Buying Mothers Council House - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

I got a bill for works on my flat from council for work they going to do I must pay - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Right to Buy relative's council flat? - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Buying a council flat - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Pro's and con's of ex-council flat - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Will there be a long lease on the flat? Some info about leases here:

FAQ Flats, Leases, Freeholds Share of, don't let it do your head in! - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

You say that your dad is elderly. You need to know the definition of "Deprivation of Assets" if he needs to go into a care home:

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN....pdf?dtrk=true

My personal opinion is that it's [I]not [/I]a good idea to buy the flat from the council - even more so when the tenant is elderly. Too many risks.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:20 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy I would only buy it if it is in your name only. Buying it in your father's name sets you up to be hit for inheritance tax on your own property when the time comes.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 8:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Depends on the value of the flat. Outside London, very few flats are going to reach the income tax threshold, which I think is currently £325,000.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Depends on the value of the flat. Outside London, very few flats are going to reach the income tax threshold, which I think is currently £325,000.
Inheritance tax.

I didn't realize the threshold was so low. Certainly got me thinking...
Old Dec 9th 2014, 5:23 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Inheritance tax.

I didn't realize the threshold was so low. Certainly got me thinking...
Sorry, that was a typo. I did mean inheritance tax.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Just came back to this thread, thanks for the extra useful comments and links... Well I don't think it'll be a good idea, prob too risky. Thanks again