Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to stay when moving back ?

Where to stay when moving back ?

Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to stay when moving back ?

For those of you who moved back to the UK without having secured a job first - how easy/difficult was to find short term (6-12 months) rental accommodation ? I presume accommodation agencies and private landlords will not be too keen on taking on unemployed tenants. But alas, for many jobs/interviews - you need to be in the country first - and that means looking for a short term let, or else trying your luck with friends/relatives.

Any personal experiences - or tips ?
Old Aug 24th 2016, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay when moving back ?

From what I understand, you would most probably manage to secure a 6 month lease if you paid it all upfront. Otherwise, maybe Airbnb?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

We moved into an airbnb for the first 10 weeks; this sorts us out to the end of Sept, when our furniture are due to arrive from Sydney. Meanwhile we rented a flat (moving-in end of Sept) for 12 months, paying 6 months upfront and providing tons of supporting documentation. We had references from our landlord/agent in Sydney, references and payslips from previous employers, character references, bank account statements, copies of British and/or EU passports etc. The more documents the better. You may be asked to provide a name of a guarantor, who resides in the UK and is willing to commit to paying your rent if you default. If you do not have family in the UK or very good (and well-off) friends, this could be a problem. At the moment it is a renters market (the property market is very quiet post Brexit) so this may help.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 28th 2016, 1:06 pm
          Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
          ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

wow - seems like the agencies really do ask for a lot of documentation. Scouring around on the various popular rentals websites, a lot of them do specify that you must be in full time work (professional).

I may have the option of staying with relatives in the first instance - just to get back into things after almost 10 years of being away. Once the job situation gets sorted (assuming I haven't already sorted something out by the time I leave) then it should be slightly easier to find rented accommodation - though my long term ism will be to buy. Eventually. All in the fullness of time I think.
          Old Aug 28th 2016, 5:53 pm
          wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ah207
          wow - seems like the agencies really do ask for a lot of documentation. Scouring around on the various popular rentals websites, a lot of them do specify that you must be in full time work (professional).

I may have the option of staying with relatives in the first instance - just to get back into things after almost 10 years of being away. Once the job situation gets sorted (assuming I haven't already sorted something out by the time I leave) then it should be slightly easier to find rented accommodation - though my long term ism will be to buy. Eventually. All in the fullness of time I think.
          I have had no issues with having a job offer in writing detailing salary and hadn't actually started work. Lots of paperwork though and many use the landlord hub, who are unnecessary and annoying