Where to stay in London?

Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to stay in London?

Originally Posted by paul32x
I lived in MK before I emigrated and I still have a business there, so go back regularly, I always stay here:
http://www.hotels.com/ho435699/tl-mi...ngdom/#reviews

The carvery there is lovely.
Sadly, not available for our travel dates. I'll try to look at direct booking or other sites to see if they really are sold out!

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Will you have a car in Milton Keynes ?
Yes.

On another note - tickets booked for The Lion King - front row balcony!
Old Jul 12th 2013, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastieexpat View Post
Yes.

I normally book my cars here nowadays, very cheap, and you usually end up collecting from an international chain:

http://www.easycar.com/
Old Jul 12th 2013, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Sandra1 will become famous soon enough

I recently stayed at Kensington Rooms on Cromwell Road (near most major museums). Approx. cost $160-220 depending on type of and size of room and also time of year. Room small but immaculately clean and I thought a good bang for your buck! VERY GOOD DEAL.
Old Jul 14th 2013, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really niceKats. is just really nice

I have stayed at Citadines South Kensington, and found it to be well priced and well located. They have studios and apartments with small kitchens so you can save money on food. The studios are pretty small - I would go for an executive studio for a bit more space.

http://www.citadines.com/en/uk/londo...ent_types.html
Old Jul 18th 2013, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we decided on Club Quarters in Lincolns Inn Field. A little more than we wanted to pay, but it's the closest to a guarantee of quality we could find!

With taxes (don't you just HATE VAT?) it came out to close to $650 for the three nights!

Ah well, we're not doing it too often, so a little splurge will just mean it'll take longer to pay off the credit card bill!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

spent a weekend in London a couple of weeks ago and will happily recommend the newly built Travelodge hotel at Vauxhall.

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/5...Vauxhall-hotel

Newley built so it was spotless, all you can eat breakfast buffet and stella at under 4 quid a pint.

40 pounds a night for a family room, did me the wife and our two kids fine. No noise issues and its right next to vauxhall tube station and just a couple of miles walk to waterloo bridge and the london eye, open top bus stop etc.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

How did you get 40 quid, Bob?

Best I could do is 303 for the three nights (including a Saturday), and that's the super-saver rate!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
How did you get 40 quid, Bob?

Best I could do is 303 for the three nights (including a Saturday), and that's the super-saver rate!
Our London trip was booked back in February. At that time we tried to get a family roon at the waterloo travel lodge but it was all booked up so we booked a room at the vauxhall one (even though it was yet to open) for 40 pounds. I think breakfast was an extra 6 pounds.

We booked the train to London at the same time to get a the cheapest price on that too.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:31 am
Just Joined

UKskydiver is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were you I would come out of central London and get a room in somewhere like Kings Cross. You should be able to get a room including breakfast in a nice square somewhere for about 70 pounds sterling (sorry can't find a pound symbol on my US keyboard lol).
I did this with my wife Jan 2012 then we got straight on the underground with a travel card to do the sights over three days. If you get a train into the city there is a promotion. Take an above ground train to the city and you qualify for half price or free tickets to some of the sights including the Tower of London. We couldn't do it as I flew to heathrow and got the tube into the city. It is well worth it to you though and you are not limited to tickets per party. Try google under british rail in London. Should be easy to find. The room we got was fine as a base but if you have a larger party or children you may have to go to a larger hotel chain.
Kings cross area is a good location though. And its not the dirty old brass station it used to be. My Wife is a 27 year old type cast californian and she was quite safe.
Good luck and take her to the millenium wheel. Well worth it and well worth paying the extra 5 pounds to jump the queue.
Good Luck
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Guindalf
We're going home at the end of September and, as I lived near London, I rarely had to stay there!

The family is in Milton Keynes, so we'll be staying up there, but we're planning on spending three nights in town so my American wife can see some sights. We're going to stay Friday to Monday and have tix for the Steelers game on the Sunday, so getting to Wembley and back would be a consideration.

She'd like to do some of the typical touristy things like the Tower of London and maybe some museums, that kind of thing - maybe even catch a West End show (tix from the booth in Leicester Square).

Money's a bit tight, so we're trying to find somewhere reasonable to stay for those three nights that gets us close to the sights but doesn't break the bank.

Any suggestions?

We are staying here in sept
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/2...gs-Cross-hotel, as recommended by polly May see you there
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul32x
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastieexpat View Post
Yes.

I normally book my cars here nowadays, very cheap, and you usually end up collecting from an international chain:

http://www.easycar.com/
I just checked and I though they were high. What do I know?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Those overnighting between international flights at LHR might be interested to know that the Holiday Inn Ariel is not bad value for 90 pds a couple. Plus 8 pds return for the shuttle bus. The price may depend on booking ahead, though.

My wife and I used to take the tube in to Russell Square, where the Crown Hotel provided basic beds & linen, with shared bathrooms, for 60 pds or so. Our experience with Heathrow chain hotels has in the past been dreadful - and the accommodation agencies inside the terminal are rip-offs pure and simple. This time (late July) was different, and I wanted to share the good news.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Where to stay in London?

Check out (for all budgets/families etc.):

http://www.londontown.com/hotels

Tbh whenever possible, I stay in South Kensington (ie. Gloucester Road/Cromwell Road) vicinity. It's a fab location for the V&A, Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Kensington Palace Gardens and lots of local restaurants/pubs/shops/supermarkets etc. All walkable from this vicinity.

Best of all are the tube links from Gloucester Road Underground Station (Piccadilly Line to Heathrow Airport plus District and Circle Lines for easy connections to all of central London and beyond). Also London buses
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

pooc is an unknown quantity at this point

Airbnb.com always works for me! Or if you dont mind taking the train stay at a heathrow hotel, as someone mentioned premier inn or travelodge are around £70ish and you can just get the piccadilly line straight into Central, stops at all the touristy places, Kensington, Piccadilly, Leicester Square and the like. HTH