Where should we go?

Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

MrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to beholdMrsEgeland is a splendid one to behold
Default Where should we go?

Hey,

Well, unfortunately I am no further along with my savings to go back to the UK for a year. Still it doesn't stop me planning.

My parents live in and around Liverpool, but considering my husband loves his Norwegian mountains and has negative feelings towards my parents, I wanted to find a place that he would feel at home in.

Of course I'd love to move back to my folks, but it seems out of the question. So any suggestions? I need him to fall in love with UK so that he will willingly move us back permanently. Also there is a question on how much we can afford to spend for the year we're there... Any ideas?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Where should we go?

If he loves mountains so much, you might want to try parts of Wales, the north especially. Parts of N Wales, such as Llandudno, Conway & Betwys y Coed are very mountainous and close to the coast too. It's also not too far from Liverpool where you say your family are, so it might be a compromise because you're not too close, but are within about 90 minutes drive time if you need to get there pronto
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Almost anywhere in Scotland is within a short drive of mountains.

Also, take a look at Yorkshire
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would think about the Peak District. Beautiful, not mountainous like Scotland or Wales, but lovely area. I like Liverpool really, lived there for 6 years, but it is not where I would go if you want him to fall in love with the country.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Mapped: the best places to live in England and Wales - Telegraph
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It depends, do you need to live close to a particular area for work?
I not I recommend North Wales too, lovely mountains, and train links to Liverpool so you can go off for the day. Lots of former Liverpool residents around here too.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sheffield is very pleasant, relatively inexpensive and has easy access to the Peak District.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:48 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Now I have been to Sheffield a few times but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a pleasant place to live...sorry any Sheffield folks

But the Peak District is very lovely but rolling mountains rather than forest. I love north/mid wales...beautiful. I'm from South Wales so will always choose their beautiful coastline over anywhere else.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Now I have been to Sheffield a few times but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a pleasant place to live...sorry any Sheffield folks. .....

There are parts of Sheffield that I couldn't afford to live in unless I won the lottery. That said there are many pleasant suburbs on the west side if Sheffield. The first house I remember living in was one such house, a semi, in walking distance of shops and schools, and with a view of the moors (in the far distance). The area is still affordable, .... and more pleasant than some parts of South Wales. .... Both Yorkshire and South Wales, and most other areas/ cities, do have their armpits!

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 20th 2014 at 3:07 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Now I have been to Sheffield a few times but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a pleasant place to live...sorry any Sheffield folks

But the Peak District is very lovely but rolling mountains rather than forest. I love north/mid wales...beautiful. I'm from South Wales so will always choose their beautiful coastline over anywhere else.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 3:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

What's that saying - "It's grim up north"? I'm not so sure about that myself, but I lived in south Wales for a while and there were places in that region that were as grim as they come (but shoulder-to-shoulder with some stunning mountain areas).

I remember once driving through traffic in Porth, on a cold, rainy, dark day. It felt like I was in just about the most miserable place in the whole United Kingdom. Depressing doesn't begin to come close.

As Mr P said, there are good and bad parts everywhere so if you have enough money, it almost doesn't matter what area you move to. But if like most of us your budget is limited, location is perhaps more important.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:41 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry!!!!

But any resounding memories of visiting my friend when she lived there were grim streets, boarded up shops and an economically depressed city. Although the money they put into the centre was impressive getting there wasn't. I wasn't doing a my bit is better than you're bit... Port Talbot, Merthyr in South Wales all poor economically with unflattering landscapes. The only thing I was pointing out is that you're moving from the fiords, Sheffield might not be the best place to help you feel at home. Neither is the area I came from, not enough trees! And for the op getting the right place is imperative to help a reluctant partner settle.

Edited to add... My friends were well off when they were there, it wasn't as if she was a student in some bedsit.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Sheffield has vastly improved in the last ten years. The west of the city remains leafy middle class suburbs but the city centre has been revamped and even the rougher eastern parts of the city are starting to gentrify. If the OP is looking for a pleasant and affordable city then she can't go too far wrong. I'm a southerner myself and have few good words to say about most northern cities but Sheffield is very underrated.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
...... I'm a southerner myself and have few good words to say about most northern cities but Sheffield is very underrated.
Shhh! Don't tell everyone!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Shhh! Don't tell everyone!
Haha, too late, secret's out!

Is Sheffield Britain's most underrated city break destination?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.