Where to live in the UK

Old Jul 19th 2014, 3:39 am
Just Joined

bmc9578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live in the UK

Hello,

We are moving back to the UK soon and would like some advice on where to live. I have gotten a few job offers as a teacher and I am unsure of where to go. I am married and we have a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old, so we want to be somewhere safe, that has good schools and fun things to do for the kids. My job offers are in Dunstable and in Peterborough, however as teachers we can probably get positions in other areas.

I have heard Luton is not an ideal place, so can anyone name some other nice places to look for houses in bedfordshire? What is Bedford like? What about Milton Keynes?

As far as the Peterborough offer, I don't know much about that area either? Is Peterborough nice and safe? Any other areas close by that you would recommend?

I guess it's bedfordshire or Cambridgeshire? Which would you recommend?

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live in the UK

Originally Posted by bmc9578
Hello,

We are moving back to the UK soon and would like some advice on where to live. I have gotten a few job offers as a teacher and I am unsure of where to go. I am married and we have a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old, so we want to be somewhere safe, that has good schools and fun things to do for the kids. My job offers are in Dunstable and in Peterborough, however as teachers we can probably get positions in other areas.

I have heard Luton is not an ideal place, so can anyone name some other nice places to look for houses in bedfordshire? What is Bedford like? What about Milton Keynes?

As far as the Peterborough offer, I don't know much about that area either? Is Peterborough nice and safe? Any other areas close by that you would recommend?

I guess it's bedfordshire or Cambridgeshire? Which would you recommend?

Thanks
Let's move to ... Milton Keynes | Life and style | The Guardian

(I don't personally know much about MK - the MD from my husband's office has his home there, as does another very senior manager....I guess they live in the large 'exec' houses. I've only ever been to the Milton Keynes Bowl for concerts.....remember going to a lovely old pub in a nearby attractive village - Stoney Stratford....)

Moving to Bedfordshire, does anyone know it well? | Mumsnet Discussion

I don't know much about Peterborough...but I did go there to renew my British passport in person a couple of years ago...it has an impressive cathedral and a busy shopping area (I remember going to John Lewis and Lakeland). However I was surprised at how many eastern Europeans were there....I guess many of them working in the agricultural industry in the surrounding area.

We know of an expat family (he's English, she is Finnish) with their two little boys who relocated from New Jersey to Kettering, Northamptonshire a couple of years ago - which isn't too far from Peterborough - and they're very happy there.

You can read up on many UK towns in the Guardian newspaper's "Let's Move To......" as above....they have these reports on Cambridgeshire towns such as Ely, Wisbech, Huntingdon etc.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Milton Keynes is a lifestyle choice, one of those places you either love or loathe. It does take quite some time to get used to the layout, but I am told once you do, moving around MK is easier than most towns. And the shopping centre is incredible
Bedford I think is lovely. The centre near the river is fabulous but farther out is rather samey.
Luton I dont really know - very busy though.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 11:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Peterborough well. Good schools are Kings and Jack Hunt better areas are Longthorpe, Orton Wistow, Orton Watervile and Orton Longueville. There is a golden triangle of nice villages, search area between Petrborough, Oundle and Stamford.

Probably it's best feature is Ferry Meadows Country Park.

On the negative, lots of immigration related issues to the east, as people have come across for agricultural work around Spalding and Boston
Old Jul 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely avoid Luton, went to Uni there, horrible place.