Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Old May 20th 2016, 9:29 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Job offer in Plymouth

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I pwill let you know in due course, i know liitle bout plymouth just now but as i am taking up a lecturing position at the university i may be bettered informed shortly
Thank you kindly.

You don't teach engineering do you?
Old May 20th 2016, 9:36 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Thank you kindly.

You don't teach engineering do you?
No...i teach adult nursing, palliative care and sociology! Nothing like engneering!
Old May 20th 2016, 4:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I would be interested in your impressions of Plymouth. The Little Lion is interested in the marine engineering/science courses at Plymouth Uni in a couple of years. I don't know the town well, although we will be visiting this summer.
Well, my impressions of Plymouth are inevitably superficial, since I'm just an occasional visitor, but I like the place well enough. I'd certainly consider living there.

I have a friend, a London civil servant, who has a sister who married a sailor and has lived in the city for most of her adult life. My friend, after many years acquaintance with the city, is intending to retire there to live near her sister, so I feel it can't be that bad.

My husband was being treated at Derriford hospital for several months. Derriford hospital is on the outskirts of the city. While he was in the clinic, I'd usually get a bus from Derriford to the centre. That took me through a number of ex-council estates, but they looked nice, not run down, and with some fantastic views towards the sea. Nearer the centre there is some attractive Georgian and Victorian housing.

The Drake Circus shopping centre in the centre is very new and smart, but it is in the middle of drab post-war development, to fill in the gaps left by bombing, which is now looking very sad. Exeter is much better for shops.

The areas round the waterfront, on the other hand, are very attractive, with great views, lots of good places to eat, and little shops. There is some very expensive housing in that area too.
Old May 26th 2016, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

KBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to allKBahn is a name known to all

We lived in Plympton for 10+ years before relocating to Munich and later the USA. It's difficult to make a recommendation on where you should look without some idea of:
1). House prices you can afford
2). Your preference between urban v rural, old v new, garden or not, etc...

Exeter has some very similar areas in the city to Plymouth, so be careful at jumping to conclusions - also Plymouth is a much bigger city (over 2 times the population) so there is always going to be more work opportunities there too....

If you want nice residential areas around Plymouth without paying the daily tolls for the Tamar Bridge or ferry, look north and east / southeast. There's lots of nice small towns in the South Hams - generally east is cheaper than north. If you don't mind the bigger communities, look at Plymstock and Ivybridge.

The southwest is a beautiful part of the country - we have investment property in Exmouth and love to go back and visit. Good luck!