Where to live!

Old Jun 19th 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live!

You should also consider the flight paths for London.
Most areas around London are affected and the flights start around 4.30am.
When people say it is 1 hour from Heathrow - then it could be 2 hours.
The traffic - especially the M25 is horrendous.
I am driving into London next week and my arrival and departure will be timed to avoid the rush-hours.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 4:12 pm
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Southsea.

Nice coastal town and adjacent to Portsmouth (Gunwharf etc). More affordable than London-commuter-distance towns you have mentioned.

Portsmouth Grammar or several other pay-schools.

35 mins to Eastleigh airport for Europe flights.

1hr 15mins to LHR or Gatwick

And also Curdridge, Durley, Hedge End, Colden Common and Locks Heath I think make excellent choices😊
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The public schools in South Bucks are as good, if not better than a lot of private schools. Housing is expensive, but having access to good public schools may offset that. That is assuming that your kids can pass the entrance exams and there are places available.
My year there were around 10% to 15% of kids got into Oxbridge, which I feel is quite high.

Commute time to Heathrow is about 20 mins of a good day. For Gatwick, not so good, add the time from Heathrow to Gatwick, probably around 90 mins on a bad day. The M3 has been shut for the last few weeks. Not sure when that will be finished.

Also Berkhamsted School and Ashlyns get good results.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You should also consider the flight paths for London.
Most areas around London are affected and the flights start around 4.30am. .....
I don't really agree with that sentiment. I used to live under the final approach flight path the LHR, at Kew, and even there the only plane that was disruptive was Concorde. I think the average plane is quieter today than it was more than 20 years ago when I lived there.

90% of the time (when the winds blow from the west or south west) all flights from LHR take off to the west, so the aircraft noise problem is mostly to the west of London, towards Windsor and further west. Obviously it's different the days when the wind comes from the east and planes take off directly over London.

Unless something has changed, there are very few flights before 6am, but you could almost set your clock by the sound of the first aircraft arriving at LHR, passing over Kew around 5.55am.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't really agree with that sentiment. I used to live under the final approach flight path the LHR, at Kew, and even there the only plane that was disruptive was Concorde. I think the average plane is quieter today than it was more than 20 years ago when I lived there.

90% of the time (when the winds blow from the west or south west) all flights from LHR take off to the west, so the aircraft noise problem is mostly to the west of London, towards Windsor and further west. Obviously it's different the days when the wind comes from the east and planes take off directly over London.

Unless something has changed, there are very few flights before 6am, but you could almost set your clock by the sound of the first aircraft arriving at LHR, passing over Kew around 5.55am.
When I am in London with the windows open in warm weather I always get wakened by the first transatlantic or Asian arrivals in the morning.
I am in London 3 - 4 times a year visiting relatives.
Moving a mile or so to either side reduces the noise levels.
I agree that it is almost impossible to avoid aircraft noise around London but it is something that the OP can consider.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I agree that it is almost impossible to avoid aircraft noise around London but it is something that the OP can consider.
Aircraft noise around any airport is a consideration but this is a massive exaggeration.

I lived in London for over 30 years; one location was just North of Heathrow, another was central London. I never ever experienced any commercial aircraft noise.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Aircraft noise around any airport is a consideration but this is a massive exaggeration.

I lived in London for over 30 years; one location was just North of Heathrow, another was central London. I never ever experienced any commercial aircraft noise.
I agree - I lived in Hendon and that was aircraft noise free.
The OP seemed to be looking outside of London and all I was trying to do was warn them (wherever they are looking) to consider the flight paths.
Remember that if the 3rd runway at Heathrow goes ahead then more areas will be affected.
If this is not an issue for the OP then fine.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:33 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ilkley.
Ilkley Grammar and Ermysteds catchment areas, and Bradford Grammar if you're looking at private.

15 mins from Leeds/Bradford airport, 90 mins from MAN; 30 mins from Leeds for main line trains in all directions; 40 mins to M1, M62, A1.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jun 20th 2017 at 2:35 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you - will consider the flight paths - hadn't thought of it until mentioned here. More places to add to my list - fabulous (many thanks) - google maps is fast becoming my constant companion! No one has mentioned Eastbourne area .... any thoughts?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mustang sally
.... No one has mentioned Eastbourne area .... any thoughts?
Are you close to retirement?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

mustang sally is an unknown quantity at this point

No! Can't all be retirement age as there are schools down there!
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mustang sally
No! Can't all be retirement age as there are schools down there!
It's not called the Costa Geriatrica for nothing
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

PimRoad is on a distinguished road

If you're from near York why would you even consider moving anywhere else?

There's an hourly train, 24/7 from York to Manchester Airport, takes 1hr 38m. Alternatively it is 45 min to Leeds Airport, or 2 hours from London by train or 2+ hours from Edinburgh by train. All the important National Parks are 2 hours drive or less. The natives are friendly. The depth and variety of History is profound. A semi costs 250k or less, detached 300k or so. And it's got a Wall, one first started by the Romans!

I'm retiring from Washington DC, so I'm coming from a country which has a bad case of Wall envy just now. Considerations for somewhere to retire to included: walkability, busability, trainability, near ferryability and airportability; a house made of brick or stone in a community of brick or stone; a sense of pride in the community's History (and it helps that I am connected to that same History).

Almost the entire United States has sprawling suburbs of vinyl sided houses, even the obscenely expensive ones. Very few actual nuclear towns, outside of maybe New England, whose winters are brutal. It's especially difficult if you like multi-modal transport options for getting around, without having to rely on a car for every significant (or insignificant) trip. While in England you can start walking almost anywhere, and take footpaths local and long-distance that are all densely interconnected, everything in the US is a walled garden. Take the Appalachians for example. Well it's a 2 hour drive to get there in the first place: no public transport. one ridge has a footpath and National parks : the Appalachian Trail, and the Shenandoah NP and Smoky Mts NP, which have, I grant you, good trail systems. But every other ridge in the 2000 mile long and 100-300 mile wide Appalachian-Allegheny mountain system is private property, no trespassing, they have guns and they shoot. In the somewhat temperate, pastoral states of Maryland and Pennsylvania, with lots of forest clearance for dairy and arable, you simply cannot go walking on that farmers land: there are no recognized footpaths, and no tradition of walking, since the Algonquian tribes were just about rubbed out 3-400 years ago.

If you want an active life/retirement that includes huge variety of walking, and bike riding, with the ability to plan 'open-jaw' trips completing the circuit by bus or train, accessible and reasonably attractive towns, accommodations and eateries, you cannot beat Europe - and England is still very much Europe. The USA is impossible in this regard.

I want to be able to gracefully separate from the car over the next 20 to 30 years, without limiting my ability to get around. No car in most of the United States, and you might as well be in a prison.

Last edited by PimRoad; Jun 23rd 2017 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
South, South, South all the way!!! We live in Southanpton (not in the city, just on the outskirts, 15 minute drive from home to the city centre). Love it here. Peaceful, wonderful primary school my little one is currently at, you have the New Forest on your doorstep, Bournemouth beach, Sandbanks, Isle of Wight for a nice day trip, Southampton airport 10 minutes away, buses and trains, lots of supermarkets, we have TK Maxx, Home Sense, Next, a huge sainsburys and marks and Spencers within waking distance, central London is an hour and a half away, Hearhrow and Gatwivk not much over an hour, there's Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth for great shopping outlets with restaurants along the water front, there's cinemas and bowling and restaurants within 10-15 minutes away (nice big cinema and bowling and some nice restaurants in Eastleigh which is less than 10 minutes away). We're on the edge of the city but on the edge of the countryside at the same time. There's parks and woods and then there's west wittering which is a beautiful sandy beach (google it). Has a pebble beach section to it too. You really couldn't ask for a better place to live if you ask me!
Would love to know where you're moving from and why if you don't mind me being nosy. My husband is American and we've lived over there and travelled extensively. We talked about living there again in order to buy a house, rent it out and move back to the uk so we could get a retirement nest egg going but looking into it we don't think we could ever go back as we'd lose too much here. So I love to hear other people's stories!
ahem

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin.../#post12245896
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PimRoad
If you're from near York why would you even consider moving anywhere else?

There's an hourly train, 24/7 from York to Manchester Airport, takes 1hr 38m. Alternatively it is 45 min to Leeds Airport, or 2 hours from London by train or 2+ hours from Edinburgh by train. All the important National Parks are 2 hours drive or less. The natives are friendly. The depth and variety of History is profound. A semi costs 250k or less, detached 300k or so. And it's got a Wall, one first started by the Romans!

I'm retiring from Washington DC, so I'm coming from a country which has a bad case of Wall envy just now. Considerations for somewhere to retire to included: walkability, busability, trainability, near ferryability and airportability; a house made of brick or stone in a community of brick or stone; a sense of pride in the community's History (and it helps that I am connected to that same History).

Almost the entire United States has sprawling suburbs of vinyl sided houses, even the obscenely expensive ones. Very few actual nuclear towns, outside of maybe New England, whose winters are brutal. It's especially difficult if you like multi-modal transport options for getting around, without having to rely on a car for every significant (or insignificant) trip. While in England you can start walking almost anywhere, and take footpaths local and long-distance that are all densely interconnected, everything in the US is a walled garden. Take the Appalachians for example. Well it's a 2 hour drive to get there in the first place: no public transport. one ridge has a footpath and National parks : the Appalachian Trail, and the Shenandoah NP and Smoky Mts NP, which have, I grant you, good trail systems. But every other ridge in the 2000 mile long and 100-300 mile wide Appalachian-Allegheny mountain system is private property, no trespassing, they have guns and they shoot. In the somewhat temperate, pastoral states of Maryland and Pennsylvania, with lots of forest clearance for dairy and arable, you simply cannot go walking on that farmers land: there are no recognized footpaths, and no tradition of walking, since the Algonquian tribes were just about rubbed out 3-400 years ago.

If you want an active life/retirement that includes huge variety of walking, and bike riding, with the ability to plan 'open-jaw' trips completing the circuit by bus or train, accessible and reasonably attractive towns, accommodations and eateries, you cannot beat Europe - and England is still very much Europe. The USA is impossible in this regard.

I want to be able to gracefully separate from the car over the next 20 to 30 years, without limiting my ability to get around. No car in most of the United States, and you might as well be in a prison.
Sending you a sympathetic and encouraging note: not too many people here on BE place the desire to live without a car in their top three musts, but we are in the minority with you. Having come from Florida only 3 months ago (where it's do or die without a vehicle), we are in Norwich and living just fine without the dreaded automobile. It can be done!