Where to Live?

Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to Live?

Originally Posted by verystormy
We have recently returned from living in Australia and are living in a tiny village near the market town of Strathaven Scotland and are very happy with our choice. The village (Sandford) is very pretty, a conservation village, easy distance to Glasgow and reasonable to Edinburgh and about 45 mins to the coast and some great beaches. The area has great countryside (google spectacle Ee falls) and rent is very good. We have a very good cottage for a lot less than your budget. Only down - though I think its a plus - we get a lot of snow. Already had two decent falls, but because we are surrounded by dairy farms the roads are always good. And in our village we don't have any shops or things, though do have a great village hall that does lots of village activities such as a cinema once or twice a month (buy a ticket and take own drinks and nibbles). Strathaven is very pretty and is mainly great independent shops.
Thank you Very Stormy! Strathaven is also on my list. Though not coastal I have read many good things about that area and we LOVE snow!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hello cdf
You want to live near a body of water or the sea.
You haven't said if you intend to drive but you should also consider bus services and train services.
You would be eligible for free bus travel and reduced fares train travel.
Consider reasonable access to shops like supermarkets and also access to healthcare including hospitals.
You may be in good health just now but that could change and you should consider that when making your decision.
If you are considering Scotland then you could do worse than the towns around Ayr with direct train links to Glasgow or towns in Fife with direct links to Edinburgh.
Thank you Cyrian. Indeed we hare hoping to do without the expense of a car. So proximity to local shops and transport services would be very important!
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, such a broad question from which you'll get a wide range of responses from people liviving in certain areas of the UK that 'may not' match with your taste, then again 'Isle of Bute' may just be your 'cup of tea', as would Dundee or somewhere in the greater area around Glasgow or Edinburgh

What you are asking is quite the task for the fact that you've been away for 40 odd years.

I have zero information as to 'where is best to live', I can only offer as follows

Are you considering a trip over (recce) for a few weeks before making the move - if so, then you would likely narrow it down to one or two areas of within 100 square miles eg: Lanarkshire, Argyll etc

That done (all at a cost budget $5000 - $10,000), then you need to spend at least one-week in each of the two areas looking around, looking on the net to see whats for rent as well as visiting a real estate or letting agent.

If you are not planning on a 'recce', then its pick a place, do the distant sign a lease without seeing the place - or get to the UK, stay in a 'furnished holiday home' rental for 3-4 months & start the search - other than doing the 'recce' first (an added cost) this is something that returning expat BE members that do not have friends or relatives have been known to do.

You can google places that you think 'might be it', the demographics, crime, climate, access to transportation etc, zoopla as well as rightmove to search for rentals

Good luck with your plans

Thanks as always! Yes, I plan a trip over next year to visit Bute and I want to pick 2 other places of interest, Argyll and Lanarkshire being of interest
Old Dec 1st 2016, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curleytops
Try looking in the North East. It has a reputation for being grim, but its not all grim, and, like anywhere else you will find nice neighbourhoods and not so nice neighbourhoods. One of the biggest problems there is high unemployment but that won't be an issue if you're retiring. My own home neighbourhood in South Shields is steps away from a great little shopping centre, has excellent public transportation links and is within walking distance of some beautiful beaches and coastline. There are plenty of properties to rent in the price range you mentioned and I would guess you could work around the issue of pets with a larger security deposit. There are plenty of communities in the surrounding area that would offer similar rents, shopping, public transport and beaches etc.

My husband and I recently moved back to the Northeast to a somewhat smaller community. Newcastle is close by but we live in a rural environment and we are loving it. We're inland but the beach (also very close to our hearts) is not so very far away. I know that at the moment there are several available properties in town around the £450 mark and the people are really friendly as well. The town has a decent little high street and good public transport if you need to go further afield. Let me know if you want any further details.
Thank you Curly Tops! Your photo could be one of me at that age with ginger hair, lol.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Try looking in the North East. It has a reputation for being grim, but its not all grim, and, like anywhere else you will find nice neighbourhoods and not so nice neighbourhoods. One of the biggest problems there is high unemployment but that won't be an issue if you're retiring. My own home neighbourhood in South Shields is steps away from a great little shopping centre, has excellent public transportation links and is within walking distance of some beautiful beaches and coastline. There are plenty of properties to rent in the price range you mentioned and I would guess you could work around the issue of pets with a larger security deposit. There are plenty of communities in the surrounding area that would offer similar rents, shopping, public transport and beaches etc.

My husband and I recently moved back to the Northeast to a somewhat smaller community. Newcastle is close by but we live in a rural environment and we are loving it. We're inland but the beach (also very close to our hearts) is not so very far away. I know that at the moment there are several available properties in town around the £450 mark and the people are really friendly as well. The town has a decent little high street and good public transport if you need to go further afield. Let me know if you want any further details.
Hi: So what town do you live in, or what are if you prefer
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Shhhhh!. The North East is a poverty stricken wasteland peopled by morons who speak a foreign tongue and eat their children.

(Divn't tell them daft buggers aboot reality pet)
Novo you disappoint me. You forgot the bit about how they bury their relatives in the back garden
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdfergus
Hi: So what town do you live in, or what are if you prefer
We are in Prudhoe just south west of Newcastle.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you Curly Tops! Your photo could be one of me at that age with ginger hair, lol.
Hubby was like that when he was 5 as well and he had ginger hair.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

I see several very nice houses to let within our budget! I shall investigate further Thank you
Old Dec 1st 2016, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Very Stormy! Strathaven is also on my list. Though not coastal I have read many good things about that area and we LOVE snow!
I googled the Falls, beautiful and great story! I am seeing good properties in Strathaven, though not in Stanford proper. Is the area doable without a car?
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:48 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Prudhoe just south west of Newcastle.
Oh, from what you posted earlier I'd thought you were in Ryton. Prudhoe is canny. We were at the Castle a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, from what you posted earlier I'd thought you were in Ryton. Prudhoe is canny. We were at the Castle a few weeks ago.
The castle's within walking distance, I'm looking forward to having a wander over when I eventually get the house sorted.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Two-bedroom apartment from our Housing Association on the iskle of Bute is approx £330 a month. For those despreate to do a bit of gardening - allotments arfe available. Life here without a car is perfecvtly ok. Good bus and ferry services. We put up the drawbridghe when the last ferry sails at 7 pm - so we get peace and quiet.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:01 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Two-bedroom apartment from our Housing Association on the iskle of Bute is approx £330 a month. For those despreate to do a bit of gardening - allotments arfe available. Life here without a car is perfecvtly ok. Good bus and ferry services. We put up the drawbridghe when the last ferry sails at 7 pm - so we get peace and quiet.

Does that £330/mth include water & what approx would the council tax be?

Right now are there available properties for rent on Bute from the 'housing association' that the OP could get fairly quickly?

What would you estimate is the non-Scots population living on Bute?

Last edited by not2old; Dec 3rd 2016 at 11:06 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
#1on my list to visit😊

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.