Where to Live?

Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default Where to Live?

So, I just received my new UK passport!!!! Took less than 2 weeks to get

Now it is time to get serious about finding the right place to live for the rest of our days. We will both be 66 yrs old when we return. Looking to spend no more than 450 pounds pcm in rent where we can have pets. None now, just hoping! We will be living on US social security income which many members have told us will suffice (combined amount that is) We are looking for somewhere quiet, walkable to shops etc. I was born by the Thames and really would love to live by the sea or a large body of water! Scot47 has sorely tempted us with the Isle of Bute but I would like opinions on other areas. Specifically, why would one choose Scotland over England or Wales? I have lived in Scotland (Argyll) love Yorkshire and 1/2 my family are from S. Wales. I have no interest in the S.E where I was born, too crowded, expensive, etc!

So, I am hoping the wonderful members of this forum (who have already helped me so much) can give me some honest feedback. Thanks to you all!

Last edited by cdfergus; Nov 30th 2016 at 10:48 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:10 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Live?

The amount you have to spend on rent is going to severely curtail your choice of area to live in. I hope you have £450 rather than $450, but even that would not get you more than a two bedroom flat in my area of North Devon.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Oops! I meant 450 pounds!!!
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great resource to see where you might be able to afford to rent or buy.

Where can I afford to live? - BBC News
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Perth! Unfortunately I have not been able to get this link to work on either google chrome or IE. I shall try it at home later
Old Dec 1st 2016, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We have recently returned from living in Australia and are living in a tiny village near the market town of Strathaven Scotland and are very happy with our choice. The village (Sandford) is very pretty, a conservation village, easy distance to Glasgow and reasonable to Edinburgh and about 45 mins to the coast and some great beaches. The area has great countryside (google spectacle Ee falls) and rent is very good. We have a very good cottage for a lot less than your budget. Only down - though I think its a plus - we get a lot of snow. Already had two decent falls, but because we are surrounded by dairy farms the roads are always good. And in our village we don't have any shops or things, though do have a great village hall that does lots of village activities such as a cinema once or twice a month (buy a ticket and take own drinks and nibbles). Strathaven is very pretty and is mainly great independent shops.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hello cdf
You want to live near a body of water or the sea.
You haven't said if you intend to drive but you should also consider bus services and train services.
You would be eligible for free bus travel and reduced fares train travel.
Consider reasonable access to shops like supermarkets and also access to healthcare including hospitals.
You may be in good health just now but that could change and you should consider that when making your decision.
If you are considering Scotland then you could do worse than the towns around Ayr with direct train links to Glasgow or towns in Fife with direct links to Edinburgh.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:14 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, such a broad question from which you'll get a wide range of responses from people liviving in certain areas of the UK that 'may not' match with your taste, then again 'Isle of Bute' may just be your 'cup of tea', as would Dundee or somewhere in the greater area around Glasgow or Edinburgh

What you are asking is quite the task for the fact that you've been away for 40 odd years.

I have zero information as to 'where is best to live', I can only offer as follows

Are you considering a trip over (recce) for a few weeks before making the move - if so, then you would likely narrow it down to one or two areas of within 100 square miles eg: Lanarkshire, Argyll etc

That done (all at a cost budget $5000 - $10,000), then you need to spend at least one-week in each of the two areas looking around, looking on the net to see whats for rent as well as visiting a real estate or letting agent.

If you are not planning on a 'recce', then its pick a place, do the distant sign a lease without seeing the place - or get to the UK, stay in a 'furnished holiday home' rental for 3-4 months & start the search - other than doing the 'recce' first (an added cost) this is something that returning expat BE members that do not have friends or relatives have been known to do.

You can google places that you think 'might be it', the demographics, crime, climate, access to transportation etc, zoopla as well as rightmove to search for rentals

Good luck with your plans

Last edited by not2old; Dec 1st 2016 at 12:44 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdfergus
So, I just received my new UK passport!!!! Took less than 2 weeks to get

Now it is time to get serious about finding the right place to live for the rest of our days. We will both be 66 yrs old when we return. Looking to spend no more than 450 pounds pcm in rent where we can have pets. None now, just hoping! We will be living on US social security income which many members have told us will suffice (combined amount that is) We are looking for somewhere quiet, walkable to shops etc. I was born by the Thames and really would love to live by the sea or a large body of water! Scot47 has sorely tempted us with the Isle of Bute but I would like opinions on other areas. Specifically, why would one choose Scotland over England or Wales? I have lived in Scotland (Argyll) love Yorkshire and 1/2 my family are from S. Wales. I have no interest in the S.E where I was born, too crowded, expensive, etc!

So, I am hoping the wonderful members of this forum (who have already helped me so much) can give me some honest feedback. Thanks to you all!
In Republic myself but why not consider Northern Ireland? Not too familiar with areas but doesn't look that bad here although no pictures of inside https://www.propertypal.com/17-newto...strevor/214750
You can be in Belfast and Dublin in no time.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
This is a great resource to see where you might be able to afford to rent or buy.

Where can I afford to live? - BBC News
Mmm, I am sending it from Alabama, and as you are in the States too you should be able to get it? If you still having trouble just google where can I afford to live BBC map.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:37 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
In Republic myself but why not consider Northern Ireland? Not too familiar with areas but doesn't look that bad here although no pictures of inside https://www.propertypal.com/17-newto...strevor/214750
You can be in Belfast and Dublin in no time.
Coastal Northern Ireland, near the 'Republic' border, what about in & around Coleraine, rents in the £450/mth should be doable? + the OP being a senior would get the free 'smart pass' (all Ireland travel pass)
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Coastal Northern Ireland, near the 'Republic' border, what about in & around Coleraine, rents in the £450/mth should be doable? + the OP being a senior would get the free 'smart pass' (all Ireland travel pass)
The link I posted was this area. Not that far North and looking on maps it seems very nice and affordable. People do forget that Northern Ireland is still Britain:-) and certainly an alternative to Scotland. This is a link to area Carlingford & Cooley Peninsula | Official Destination Website
Attached Thumbnails Where to Live?-cfapture.jpg  

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 1st 2016 at 11:51 am.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking in the North East. It has a reputation for being grim, but its not all grim, and, like anywhere else you will find nice neighbourhoods and not so nice neighbourhoods. One of the biggest problems there is high unemployment but that won't be an issue if you're retiring. My own home neighbourhood in South Shields is steps away from a great little shopping centre, has excellent public transportation links and is within walking distance of some beautiful beaches and coastline. There are plenty of properties to rent in the price range you mentioned and I would guess you could work around the issue of pets with a larger security deposit. There are plenty of communities in the surrounding area that would offer similar rents, shopping, public transport and beaches etc.

My husband and I recently moved back to the Northeast to a somewhat smaller community. Newcastle is close by but we live in a rural environment and we are loving it. We're inland but the beach (also very close to our hearts) is not so very far away. I know that at the moment there are several available properties in town around the £450 mark and the people are really friendly as well. The town has a decent little high street and good public transport if you need to go further afield. Let me know if you want any further details.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hello cdf
You want to live near a body of water or the sea.
You haven't said if you intend to drive but you should also consider bus services and train services.
You would be eligible for free bus travel and reduced fares train travel.
Consider reasonable access to shops like supermarkets and also access to healthcare including hospitals.
You may be in good health just now but that could change and you should consider that when making your decision.
If you are considering Scotland then you could do worse than the towns around Ayr with direct train links to Glasgow or towns in Fife with direct links to Edinburgh.
Yes, quite.
At 66 you may be OK with a car dependent location now, but you won't be at some future time. It can be quite a boon to live only a few paces from a bus stop. Even if the bus services are infrequent.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 4:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Try looking in the North East. It has a reputation for being grim, but its not all grim, and, like anywhere else you will find nice neighbourhoods and not so nice neighbourhoods. One of the biggest problems there is high unemployment but that won't be an issue if you're retiring. My own home neighbourhood in South Shields is steps away from a great little shopping centre, has excellent public transportation links and is within walking distance of some beautiful beaches and coastline. There are plenty of properties to rent in the price range you mentioned and I would guess you could work around the issue of pets with a larger security deposit. There are plenty of communities in the surrounding area that would offer similar rents, shopping, public transport and beaches etc.

My husband and I recently moved back to the Northeast to a somewhat smaller community. Newcastle is close by but we live in a rural environment and we are loving it. We're inland but the beach (also very close to our hearts) is not so very far away. I know that at the moment there are several available properties in town around the £450 mark and the people are really friendly as well. The town has a decent little high street and good public transport if you need to go further afield. Let me know if you want any further details.
Shhhhh!. The North East is a poverty stricken wasteland peopled by morons who speak a foreign tongue and eat their children.

(Divn't tell them daft buggers aboot reality pet)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.