Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where have you/will you settle once back in UK?

Where have you/will you settle once back in UK?

Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:36 am
DMT
Just Joined

DMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where have you/will you settle once back in UK?

I've been following this forum for quite sometime now. After spending the last 15yrs in Brisbane, we plan to return to UK next year.

Just wondered where you plan to settle? Will it be back to where you came from, or somewhere new?

For us, it's a very hard question, as we don't have to consider schools (kids are grown up) and OH is self employed. Our only real consideration is our budget for our new home.

I've read opinions on not returning to where you came from, but of course it has the added bonus of readymade friendships and familiarity, though we did choose to leave there all those years ago.

I long for a feeling of belonging again, and am worried if we choose somewhere new I still wont feel like I'm "home".

Your thoughts please?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where have you/will you settle once back in UK?

Hi DMT and welcome I think a lot depends on the individual in the same way that some people adjust and settle into their newly adopted country when they leave the UK and some never do. As you're returning with your spouse, you may well find you feel at home wherever you decide to live because you're "in it together". I grew up on Tyneside in the northeast but when I returned home it was to Folkestone in Kent as that is where my then husband-to-be was working at the time. I'd never ever been there in my life but it immediately felt like home to me. I would have been quite happy to settle there long term, unfortunately, my husband was made redundant from his job and we were only there about 18 months after I arrived.

On the move again, we relocated to Scarborough in North Yorkshire and we were both over the moon to be living there. I can't think of any place on earth that's had the effect on me that North Yorkshire did and can honestly say it was instantly home to us both. Sadly, it was not to last as college cutbacks hit us again. Leaving there was one of the saddest days of my life. We now live in West Cumbria and both hate it. What makes it worse for us is the fact that the work here was short lived (F/E colleges are not the most secure places to work these days) and it feels like we moved to this place neither of us is happy with for nothing. However, despite my feelings about this area, England still feels like home and I know there are better things ahead for us. In some of the darker moments I've asked myself the question "Do I want to go back to Canada to live?" and the answer is always a resounding "No".

We'd both love to live in our home town in the Northeast again but given a choice between there and our adopted home North Yorkshire would be a tough decision. I think being together makes the difference and if you both feel the same about coming back to the UK then you're half way home already. All the best with the move.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We don't come from Birmingham but moved there for my husband's job before emigrating to the USA. We were there for 9 years and have just moved back; he got a job back at his old workplace.

It's something we also pondered when deciding where to accept a job. We don't have family in this area but have some friends and I would say that is helpful. The move is very stressful anyway and some familiarity is a plus. We didn't go back to exactly the same place but decided to go more urban as we are empty nesters.

Our families are a bit odd but if you get on with yours then a move nearer them would also be nice.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 9:15 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Londoner by birth; I can't afford to live there now, but that's no hardship, because I don't think it is a good place to retire to.

My husband and I had lived in North Staffordshire, on the edge of the Peak District, for a decade before we moved to Canada. We loved it there and for most of the eight years we were in Canada, we were making plans to move back.

But, in the end we decided not to go back because the area is changing and we thought we'd be disappointed that we couldn't resume our previous lifestyle. I don't think you can ever really go back, because places change and those changes are far more obvious if you've been away.

That left us in the same position as you -- we could move anywhere where we could afford a house. After that, the decision making process went roughly like this:

Southern England because of climate. South West England because of house prices, and because South-East England is so congested.

South Devon or Dorset? Too expensive.

Mid Devon? Too wet. North Devon it is then.

Then it was a question of finding the right house. I looked at hundreds (literally) on RightMove. I was looking for somewhere in a small town or large village, close to main transport routes. We ended up buying a house in a small hamlet in one of the most remote parts of Devon because we fell in love with the area and the house, but I accept that this probably isn't our final home.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Kent, outer London suburbs, but I have no friends or family there now. My sister lives a bit further out, rural Sussex. My wife and I lived for many years in Minehead, Somerset. We still have friends there. Thinking about buying in England, Minehead has a lot going for it, since houses and flats are plentiful and cheap/moderate and Minehead is a superb centre for country walking, cliff top walking, pubs etc. ...

Almost arbitrarily, though, we decided to look in Norwich or north Norfolk, a place neither of us had ever been, and we certainly knew no one there. I spent ten weeks there on my own, last winter, and the two of us are going back there for a few weeks (flying today, actually.) I suppose everyone's different in terms of sociability. I'm fine talking to old ladies I meet on the bus, at the library, at jumble sales etc. But I don't feel I need friends and family living nearby... Like Sally, my family are odd, so are my friends so I'm fine with casual relationships with old ladies at bus stops.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 1:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm originally from Kent, outer London suburbs, but I have no friends or family there now. My sister lives a bit further out, rural Sussex. My wife and I lived for many years in Minehead, Somerset. We still have friends there. Thinking about buying in England, Minehead has a lot going for it, since houses and flats are plentiful and cheap/moderate and Minehead is a superb centre for country walking, cliff top walking, pubs etc. ...

Almost arbitrarily, though, we decided to look in Norwich or north Norfolk, a place neither of us had ever been, and we certainly knew no one there. I spent ten weeks there on my own, last winter, and the two of us are going back there for a few weeks (flying today, actually.) I suppose everyone's different in terms of sociability. I'm fine talking to old ladies I meet on the bus, at the library, at jumble sales etc. But I don't feel I need friends and family living nearby... Like Sally, my family are odd, so are my friends so I'm fine with casual relationships with old ladies at bus stops.
I grew up in Catford, so can't have been that far away from you, and my mum lives in Sussex. My brother lives in Sevenoaks and I have a cousin in Folkestone. But, realistically, mum isn't going to be around for much longer, and my brother is planning to move down to Devon or Cornwall when he retires, partly to be near me.

On the other hand, when I was a kid my parents took us to Romney Marsh for the summer holidays, and I still love to go walking in the area. If I could afford one of the old houses at Appledore, or somewhere similar, I might be tempted.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

I am going back to Coventry for the time being. Hoping I wont have too much trouble finding work, and eventually get to retire. Would he happy then to buy my park home or static caravan somewhere in the country.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 2:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Where have you/will you settle once back in UK?

Oooh, one of the posters here J.JsOH lives in Norfolk......it's a large county though so I don't know where he is located.

A couple of years ago I couldn't get a new passport issued quickly in London, so I went to Peterborough instead. It was the July 4th weekend (our wedding anniversary) and we were very lucky to be able to get a last minute booking at the Cley windmill B&B in north Norfolk (on the coast at Cley-next-the-Sea). It was wonderful and the breakfast was sublime.

Cley Windmill | Accommodation :: Dining :: Weddings :: House Parties :: Norfolk

We went walking along the pretty country lanes near the windmill and took the coastal walk past the marshes to try and see the seals (sadly we didn't spot any) but the whole area is quite lovely. We enjoyed the local region, visiting the Queen's country home Sandringham, the lovely Holkham sands, pretty Wells-next-the-Sea and Blakeney (had a great meal in a pub there). I loved eating the fresh seafood and samphire is a very popular local side dish.

Blakeney, North Norfolk Coast, including Blakeney Point

Such a lovely part of England.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

have a great trip.

People are so chatty here! You only have to catch someone's eye to start a conversation. I did have a rather surreal moment when a lady at the bus stop started 'talking' to me but didn't have any voice. None at all.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
North Devon it is then.

Then it was a question of finding the right house. I looked at hundreds (literally) on RightMove. I was looking for somewhere in a small town or large village, close to main transport routes. We ended up buying a house in a small hamlet in one of the most remote parts of Devon because we fell in love with the area and the house.
what are the house price range in rural, remote North Devon, say for a cottage or a row house?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I find it difficult to answer that. The Land Registry gives £153,000 as the current average price for a terraced house in Devon as a whole. We paid much more than that for our terraced ('row') house a year ago, but there are a number of reasons why, such as a fifth of an acre garden, a sea view etc.

What I can say with confidence, on the basis of my study of the market over several years, is that overall the north Devon coast is cheaper than the south, but probably more expensive than central Devon. And, generally, the more remote the house the cheaper it is, the main exception being if the property has holiday rental potential, which in Devon puts the price up a lot.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 5:41 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I had a look at RightMove to find properties to answer your question. To give you an idea of how remote we are, RightMove currently list no properties for sale within one mile and only four within three miles!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We already had a flat in London and we live there. We love it! Both our children moved out of London but at the moment, we would not consider moving.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Born in Somerset but grew up in Burrrrrmingum and studied/lived in Worcester for 7 years. After approx. 23 years away, I returned to South Wales for a short while and then have been in the Glasgow area since early 2007.

The locations since I came back were purely "because the job was there" (I can only work where there are universities and then only universities that have my discipline, and only then if there is a job - and vacancies don't come up that often in universities).

Can't say I am especially enamoured with living way up here in the central belt of Scotland, for various reasons. I am lucky enough to live in a nice semi-rural area where I can walk and cycle all over, but have Glasgow within about a 40-minute drive (though I almost never drive there except my daily commute to work). So, while I can't complain about the accessibility of what I like to do (walk and cycle, and do the gardening) but I feel even more of a foreigner here than I did in the US, even after being here for over 7 years.

If it weren't for job reasons, I definitely wouldn't stay here, and plan to move when I retire. While I may move to, or close to, Birmingham, I am also open to other areas. I likely won't go too far from Brum, probably within an hour's drive. I plan to do a scope-around in Yorkshire just out of interest, because I keep hearing so many good things about it, but it isn't currently on my priority list. Maybe after visiting there it will be.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary C
I am going back to Coventry for the time being. Hoping I wont have too much trouble finding work, and eventually get to retire. Would he happy then to buy my park home or static caravan somewhere in the country.
Mary C, we were born and bred in Coventry but didn't return there!

Curly Tops we picked North Yorkshire off a map, found a small town between Harrogate and York and moved there.
Absolutely love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.