Where do you call "Home"?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:52 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Homesick in Sydney

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Ah, hush.

Have to toddle, so I'll catch you all laters, taters.

I'll give some thought to the home/sense of belonging/thing that's missing/whatever we can't put our fingers on thing and see if I can come up with anything else more useful.
see ya's later
you know this is all your fault anyway, i wouldn't have posted in here if it weren't for you
Old Jul 6th 2007, 5:49 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
see ya's later
you know this is all your fault anyway, i wouldn't have posted in here if it weren't for you
Welcome to the fold.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:04 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where do you call "Home"?

i probably should stop myself here but it's something i have to ask
when you refer to "people back home" don't you ever stop to consider that "home" is where you're at currently?
i don't mean to pick you in particular, it's something i notice regularly and seems strange to me
I have CONSTANTLY corrected people on the use of the word 'home', if I refer to the 'other place' then it is 'the UK' ... 'England' sounds wrong for some reason. And I believe it is little things like that that will show a commitment that will be respected ... or something.

Home is where the mortgage is ... heart ... whatever.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

when you refer to "people back home" don't you ever stop to consider that "home" is where you're at currently?
i don't mean to pick you in particular, it's something i notice regularly and seems strange to me
England is my 'home'. I call it home, even though i don't live there. I live in OZ. But i will never call OZ my 'home'. I am English so therefore UK is my home. I am just 'visiting' OZ and having a break.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

After reading a lot of this i'm feeling a bit confused and realised something. It wasnt until i had made the concious decision to return that i did actually return to calling UK "home". I think maybe i was trying to convince myself Australia was home when deep down inside i never really felt it was.
If i take a path i usually throw myself into whatever it is 100% and i guess thats why i refused to call England home when i was trying to establish myself. Now that i know i am not here much longer it never will be.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
After reading a lot of this i'm feeling a bit confused and realised something. It wasnt until i had made the concious decision to return that i did actually return to calling UK "home". I think maybe i was trying to convince myself Australia was home when deep down inside i never really felt it was.
If i take a path i usually throw myself into whatever it is 100% and i guess thats why i refused to call England home when i was trying to establish myself. Now that i know i am not here much longer it never will be.
Me too. When I was feeling settled here, I did think of here as home, it doesnt have to a permanent place though & as GG said, its in your head - where you feel happy, comfy etc at a given time.
When I was deciding to stay or go, in effect I was 'homeless'. On deciding to to head back, England became home again - does that make sense.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:55 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Me too. When I was feeling settled here, I did think of here as home, it doesnt have to a permanent place though & as GG said, its in your head - where you feel happy, comfy etc at a given time.
When I was deciding to stay or go, in effect I was 'homeless'. On deciding to to head back, England became home again - does that make sense.

Well to me it makes perfect sense. I left England in search of a home....I found it not in the physical sense, but inside my head/heart. I can totally understand people who have discovered that the UK is in fact their home.

After all, emigrating is a voyage of discovery
Old Jul 6th 2007, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
I have CONSTANTLY corrected people on the use of the word 'home', if I refer to the 'other place' then it is 'the UK' ... 'England' sounds wrong for some reason. And I believe it is little things like that that will show a commitment that will be respected ... or something.

Home is where the mortgage is ... heart ... whatever.
at last... just glad to know i'm not the only one
i know it shouldn't bother me but it does, well it does when the OH says it :grrr:
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
England is my 'home'. I call it home, even though i don't live there. I live in OZ. But i will never call OZ my 'home'. I am English so therefore UK is my home. I am just 'visiting' OZ and having a break.
i'm English but England isn't my home
so why are we different?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:04 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

at last... just glad to know i'm not the only one
i know it shouldn't bother me but it does, well it does when the OH says it :grrr:
It is very weird and something that has grated with me from Minute 1 ... it's like they don't realise the commitment you have made, especially if it come from your OH, as you have said.

It's just an automatic reaction now ... "How are things at home?", "You mean my family in the UK?" ... etc, etc.

I got a hearty laugh recently when I honestly answered a perfectly innocent enquiry of 'Where do you come from' at a party with my QLD suburb ... happy days.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:08 am

Welcome to the fold.
it's all over for me now, the jollyness and frivolity, the lettuce discussions and silly games
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:09 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

i'm English but England isn't my home
so why are we different?
Because you're happy here.

People unhappy in Aus have more to gain (and therefore focus on that) than those of us who are happy in Aus. We have more to lose. And so we worry about that.

Home is just a word. Don't let how someone else thinks about it worry you. Even if that someone else is J.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:10 am
Cup of tea, Father?

it's all over for me now, the jollyness and frivolity, the lettuce discussions and silly games
I'll chat lettuce prices with you, chuck.

I aint playing no stoopid three word story, though.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Because you're happy here.

People unhappy in Aus have more to gain (and therefore focus on that) than those of us who are happy in Aus. We have more to lose. And so we worry about that.

Home is just a word. Don't let how someone else thinks about it worry you. Even if that someone else is J.

Agree with you there mate.

Gedge, I think us women are a lot more attached to people than you guys are. We need our friends and family around us, whereas you guys seem to be content with the smaller family unit. I know I still miss my Mum like crazy, and she's been gone for 3 years now. My OH couldn't care less if he never spoke to his Mum or Dad again.

That's not to say guys don't miss people, but they are happy for a quick chat with them once in a while, women need that 'closeness' that unfortunately Australia takes away because of the distance.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:15 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I think I try and say back in the UK or here in Oz. I think because I still haven't quite settled in either place and not sure about home yet. I live in a house but not yet a home...if that makes sense.

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.