Where do you call "Home"?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you call "Home"?

Originally Posted by Sally
I think sometimes when we say "home" we mean it in the sense of "the homeland". Depending on the age at which we left, we will have a cultural bond with the UK to a greater or lesser extent. Even my son who came here aged 12 has really struggled with this.
Although my daughter has lived half her life away from the UK she is now saying she would like to spend some time there. She finds a pull drawing her back. Who knows where she will end up.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:04 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although my daughter has lived half her life away from the UK she is now saying she would like to spend some time there. She finds a pull drawing her back. Who knows where she will end up.
What you need is a home on every continent
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:06 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Homesick in Sydney

Originally Posted by Geordie George
FWIW (very little) here's my thoughts on the matter.

Aus is home. I live here. I enjoy living here. I like Aus. In fact, I don't - it's stronger than that. I love the place. This is home in the emotional sense _ I feel tied to the place and like I could put down strong roots here. UK is home in the family sense. I miss the people, but not necessarily the place. Although there are elements about the place I am looking forwards to, too (mainly pubs ). So, through family and friends, I have ties to the UK, which makes it home (this will work vice versa when we're back in Blighty - Aus will always be home, too).

Home isn't a real location, for me. Home is a place in your head, where you feel comfortable and happy and safe. Where your stuff is doesn't really matter. Aus will always figure, because it's a place I associate with feeling at peace - just like in the UK.

I'm sounding far too zen and like I might have been dabbling in illicit substances, so I'm going to step away from the keyboard now. But I hope some of it made some sense.
it's worth a lot to hear, thanks
i'm wondering if i'm in the wrong frame of mind to figure this out
perhaps being too practical is my problem, because to me "home" is where i am right now
but then again i feel like i'm missing something, that sense of belonging that i mentioned earlier... but no that isn't quite right either because i do belong to something, my own family, wife and child(ren ) the life that we are living is what i belong to, not some memories of places i've once been

i fear a lack of oxygen to the brain isn't helping me explain
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:07 am

so would you say that your daughter feels like the UK is home?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:19 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
i fear a lack of oxygen to the brain isn't helping me explain
Tell whoever's strangling you to let you go; you've got thoughts to thunk.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

i probably should stop myself here but it's something i have to ask
when you refer to "people back home" don't you ever stop to consider that "home" is where you're at currently?
i don't mean to pick you in particular, it's something i notice regularly and seems strange to me
I live here but I dont call it living, so there for it is not home.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so would you say that your daughter feels like the UK is home?
No...she was 11 when we moved...she is now 22. She has spent 7 yrs in the US and 4 at uni in Canada...so North America is her home now. Saying that there does seem to be a certain pull/curiosity for her about the UK. I have to say I was quite surprised when she told me this last week.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally
What you need is a home on every continent
I know...I'm working on it.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:27 am

Tell whoever's strangling you to let you go; you've got thoughts to thunk.
11ks in a lunch hour might have something to do with it my virtual running buddy
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

11ks in a lunch hour might have something to do with it my virtual running buddy
What!! You shouldn't be spending you lunchtime partaking in frivolous activities you should be on BE.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:30 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Virtually speaking, I am virtually running. Virtually, like. 10-10, good budgie.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:38 am

No...she was 11 when we moved...she is now 22. She has spent 7 yrs in the US and 4 at uni in Canada...so North America is her home now. Saying that there does seem to be a certain pull/curiosity for her about the UK. I have to say I was quite surprised when she told me this last week.
if she decides to go live in the UK for a long period she might then call it home as it's a valid as calling the US home, no?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:39 am

Virtually speaking, I am virtually running. Virtually, like. 10-10, good budgie.
knew i could count on you
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

if she decides to go live in the UK for a long period she might then call it home as it's a valid as calling the US home, no?
Errr...I suppose.

Funnily enough when I'm in the UK I refer to the US as home...go figure.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 4:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

knew i could count on you
Ah, hush.

Have to toddle, so I'll catch you all laters, taters.

I'll give some thought to the home/sense of belonging/thing that's missing/whatever we can't put our fingers on thing and see if I can come up with anything else more useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.