Where Did Everyone Start?

Old Apr 17th 2015, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Faye68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where Did Everyone Start?

I'm sure this has been addressed hundreds of times and I've been scanning the threads for months. There's so much that has been helpful and I'm so grateful for this site.

This past year we've spent planning our move back to the UK from Turkey, where we've been living for too too long. I'm getting frustrated with it all now, it's really getting on top of me. Trying to find out everything via the internet is difficult, and making several trips back and forth is financially not feasible.

I think what's getting me down is the impotence of not being able to get the major stuff sorted before we go. My head has been aching for a whole year what with looking at different locations for a nice place to settle down (Londoner but don't have the energy anymore to live, work and raise our youngest 4th grader there!), looking at how to rent, looking for where there are good schools, looking for jobs, etc. Can't do one without sorting the other but you can't really get started until you're there it seems, which is frustrating. The possibility of just a few weeks stuffed into my parents' house turning into months is a nightmare. Especially if the scare stories about being unable to rent easily is true.

I have been applying for jobs but that's a dilemma in itself. I find a job that sounds great but it's in a location we really don't want or vice versa. I'm going to come out about a month ahead of the whole family, just so I can at least get some interviews and location scouting done. Is that what most of you did? If not, how did you secure a job without being called for interviews?

I'm normally very organised and get things done, but I think I'm at the point where I've filled my head with so much information and so many pro's and cons to each location that it just ended up confusing the hell out of me

So, basically, it's sort of a chicken-and-egg question. I am wondering from what did everyone start? Job? Location? School? Is there a formula to it all?
Old Apr 18th 2015, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where Did Everyone Start?

Originally Posted by Faye68
Is that what most of you did? If not, how did you secure a job without being called for interviews?

I'm normally very organised and get things done, but I think I'm at the point where I've filled my head with so much information and so many pro's and cons to each location that it just ended up confusing the hell out of me

So, basically, it's sort of a chicken-and-egg question. I am wondering from what did everyone start? Job? Location? School? Is there a formula to it all?
I went through this when we decided that we would be moving back. Like you I am organized and I am a planner so this has been a tough situation for me. So I had to get logical. I defined the perimeters of where I would like to move - South east southwest region. Then we narrowed down some cities or counties, based on where I can find jobs (and where I have seen jobs in my field advertised)

I finally recognized that my hands are tied in doing anything else until i find a job. We need a spouse visa for OH and I am the sponsor. So I am going ahead of everyone. I have put in applications that will close soon and interviews should be right when I get there should I get selected. Once I have a job then the rest will fall into place.

Only apply to jobs in areas you would want to live.

Best of luck to you and your family!

(please excuse the american spelling still using US english on my laptop)
Old Apr 19th 2015, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Faye68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bnet36
I went through this when we decided that we would be moving back. Like you I am organized and I am a planner so this has been a tough situation for me. So I had to get logical. I defined the perimeters of where I would like to move - South east southwest region. Then we narrowed down some cities or counties, based on where I can find jobs (and where I have seen jobs in my field advertised)

I finally recognized that my hands are tied in doing anything else until i find a job. We need a spouse visa for OH and I am the sponsor. So I am going ahead of everyone. I have put in applications that will close soon and interviews should be right when I get there should I get selected. Once I have a job then the rest will fall into place.

Only apply to jobs in areas you would want to live.

Best of luck to you and your family!

(please excuse the american spelling still using US english on my laptop)
That's it, exactly! The exact same situation we're in

I'd decided to come on ahead as well anyway, so your answer confirms that it's the right decision.

I will definitely take your advice to narrow down my area. It does clarify things and I feel I'm out of the fog a bit, so, thank you! The problem I was beginning to have is that there are so many areas of the UK I found I wanted to live in ) Once we knew we didn't want London then England suddenly seemed rich of possibilities; I wanted Yorkshire, no the South, no Suffolk no Cornwall, it was just endless and everywhere looked so beautiful!

I think it's sensible to stick South-ish, a bit more of the devil we know so to speak. I kind of feel that even though I don't want London anymore I do still want to be near enough to some sort of familiarity and friends.

DH is non-UK too but at the moment the residency issues aren't top of the list for us since he travels overseas for weeks at a time in his current job. So we won't be going down that exhausting route until we're all settled and got our breath back. We've been married 20 years with two kids so we're sort of in shrug shoulders mode and will let things take its course while he comes in and out on his multiple visa.

I've tried to use foresight and kept up things in the UK so that the children and I have been classed as ordinary citizens (regular trips at least twice a year, paying a utility bill at my parents, active bank account thanks to freelance proofreading work with UK companies) although I did not claim child benefits which I felt would be dishonest. However, it meant that my eldest got offers from universities for this year as a home fee student as that's where I feel strongly about expat children having certain rights especially after the fees fiasco. It may also make things easy renting a place as I don't have to declare to anyone that I'm an expat and thus face getting ripped off.

Anyway, thank you and best of luck to you, too
Old May 20th 2015, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

cow biscuits is an unknown quantity at this point

Faye68 - we were almost the same but decided on being within an hour of one side of the family which helped but only a little - England is actually a big and diverse place when you are looking in terms of relocating.

We then looked at where we could get jobs in our professions by looking at recruitment websites and seeing where possible positions were concentrated. We also looked at transport links i.e. proximity to motorway, mainline stations, line to London etc.

Also on rightmove etc just to get an idea not so much on price but as to which areas had the most coming up for rent/sale as no point planning to move somewhere where there was only one rental a month coming up when you ideally want several a week coming up.

Finally as you narrow it down even more we moved on to schools and more specifically if over/under subscribed.

I hope that helps, how are you getting on? It has taken us almost a year from casual conversation about 'what if we were to move back' to actually being almost there - notices handed in, house on the market, school places sorted - just need to book the flights...
Old May 22nd 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

It is tough but you're going to have to break it down into chunks otherwise it'll be overwhelming.

This is how we did it:

1. Focus on admin side first. Get the kids passports sorted (they are dual citizens). Get mine renewed. I also got citizenship sorted in the USA as I'd been there on a green card the whole time (24 years to that point). Start paying off any outstanding credit.

2. Get a location decided upon. For us this was to be closer to family and actually have a family support network, which we didn't in the USA. This meant being within a few miles of family. This also meant not necessarily being in a high-employment area so we had to look at what our financial picture would be in broad strokes. Could we afford it? But what was the alternative? Be in the London area back in Surrey (where I'm from) and earn (much) more but have higher living costs too AND have the same lack of family support again. We ended up opting for the South West and having a better quality of life and family within a short walk.

3. Focus on my wife's visa situation. She's a USC so we had issues to worry about in terms of me working and sponsoring her application. But luckily for us she was able to get a transfer and along with it an ICT visa. Now we've been here for 4 months we're approaching the point of doing the Spouse visa application and being able to use her salary towards it now (thankfully).

4. Where to live. We spent time getting an idea of the rental market in the area we had focused on and then I came for a recon mission and looked around the areas harder and without the rose tinted glasses of internet estate agent sites. Very helpful. I also did a few school tours so we could do more research into those online.

For us it finally came together after three or more years of hard work. Sold the USA house and moved into a temp rental. Sold a lot of stuff and gave away even more. Dealt with a container and got that sorted. Trust me when you're down to the most stressful last few weeks, the heavy lifting has been done. But you need to take time and get your ducks in a row because this 'ain't an easy process by any means.'

Good luck to you and hopefully my rambles help just a little.

BTW, was it all worth it? A huge yes. My kids already have English accents (except when they're angry or upset LOL). The bluebells were (are) amazing this Spring. I voted for the first time in 26 years!! I get to see the sea every day. I get excited to do to Sainsbury's to do the shopping... sounds silly but I still see things every trip there that I had forgotten about. I made dentist appointments today for us all with our new NHS dentist. My kids have healthy school meals every day at school and they are both so happy. We're making a wonderful circle of new friends AND I get to have a cup of tea with my Mum anytime I want it. Lovely.
Old Jun 27th 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

caf973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
It is tough but you're going to have to break it down into chunks otherwise it'll be overwhelming.

This is how we did it:

1. Focus on admin side first. Get the kids passports sorted (they are dual citizens). Get mine renewed. I also got citizenship sorted in the USA as I'd been there on a green card the whole time (24 years to that point). Start paying off any outstanding credit.

2. Get a location decided upon. For us this was to be closer to family and actually have a family support network, which we didn't in the USA. This meant being within a few miles of family. This also meant not necessarily being in a high-employment area so we had to look at what our financial picture would be in broad strokes. Could we afford it? But what was the alternative? Be in the London area back in Surrey (where I'm from) and earn (much) more but have higher living costs too AND have the same lack of family support again. We ended up opting for the South West and having a better quality of life and family within a short walk.

3. Focus on my wife's visa situation. She's a USC so we had issues to worry about in terms of me working and sponsoring her application. But luckily for us she was able to get a transfer and along with it an ICT visa. Now we've been here for 4 months we're approaching the point of doing the Spouse visa application and being able to use her salary towards it now (thankfully).

4. Where to live. We spent time getting an idea of the rental market in the area we had focused on and then I came for a recon mission and looked around the areas harder and without the rose tinted glasses of internet estate agent sites. Very helpful. I also did a few school tours so we could do more research into those online.

For us it finally came together after three or more years of hard work. Sold the USA house and moved into a temp rental. Sold a lot of stuff and gave away even more. Dealt with a container and got that sorted. Trust me when you're down to the most stressful last few weeks, the heavy lifting has been done. But you need to take time and get your ducks in a row because this 'ain't an easy process by any means.'

Good luck to you and hopefully my rambles help just a little.

BTW, was it all worth it? A huge yes. My kids already have English accents (except when they're angry or upset LOL). The bluebells were (are) amazing this Spring. I voted for the first time in 26 years!! I get to see the sea every day. I get excited to do to Sainsbury's to do the shopping... sounds silly but I still see things every trip there that I had forgotten about. I made dentist appointments today for us all with our new NHS dentist. My kids have healthy school meals every day at school and they are both so happy. We're making a wonderful circle of new friends AND I get to have a cup of tea with my Mum anytime I want it. Lovely.
This was really helpful... We are looking to return to UK, I'm English, husband is American.
Now working on UK passports for both children.

We are hoping hubby gets transfer with his employer; they have a head office in Guildford. If that doesn't happen well apply for a visa here in U.S. First and then come over. Unless there's another way??

What is the current job market like? We are looking at Guildford area.

We dont have any UK bank accounts set up - how hard is it to get these done? Were you able to rent somewhere ok if you have no credit history established?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

HI

It's important that you organize as much as you can do before you leave. Bring any Insurance documents for your car to prove you have no claims as it helps with your British insurance. You can hold off looking for areas for a short while as your child will be starting school in September so maybe rent or stay with relatives first and have a good look around the areas first, I am not sure of your budget but a lot of the "good" areas down South are expensive so bare that in mind if your on a small budget. Once you decide on an area you can then look at schools and work etc. It is hard for someone who can be very organized, I am fairly organized but there are some things that will take a little time to "sort out" and not having any "ties" to where you may be heading can be both exciting but also slightly overwhelming, saying all of those things we (my family and I were not really tied to an area etc) managed it. Good luck with everything
Old Jun 29th 2015, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're renting is a different story, but how does it actually work if you want to buy a home in the UK these days (coming from abroad)? Someone wants to return to the UK and they have a mortgage in France (example): They sell the house for 200K and mortgage left on the house was 50K. Exchange rates aside, let's say they have £150K cash, but want to buy a house in the UK that costs £200K. They will need a small mortgage in the UK of £50K, but with all the restrictions etc. will they actually ever get a mortgage? These days they look at your credit history and most of the time you need a permanent contract and can't be in probation period. Just wondering how it is, especially for people who have pets and are a bit older.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you're renting is a different story, but how does it actually work if you want to buy a home in the UK these days (coming from abroad)? Someone wants to return to the UK and they have a mortgage in France (example): They sell the house for 200K and mortgage left on the house was 50K. Exchange rates aside, let's say they have £150K cash, but want to buy a house in the UK that costs £200K. They will need a small mortgage in the UK of £50K, but with all the restrictions etc. will they actually ever get a mortgage? These days they look at your credit history and most of the time you need a permanent contract and can't be in probation period. Just wondering how it is, especially for people who have pets and are a bit older.
Oh, I've just seen another thread with this question
Old Jun 29th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

cow biscuits is an unknown quantity at this point

CAF - we have just rented somewhere, my mother in law went to look at it for us, we knew we wouldn't have a credit history so we are paying 6 months rent in advance - we knew that was likely so factored it into our plan months ago.

Others have been able to get accounts with HSBC in their host country before heading back but no HSBC branch where we live so have opened one with Barclays International, which was quick and easy but we do have to keep minimum balance of GBP25k with them which I know not everyone can do but it is only until we get to the Uk then we can get an account with Barclays UK and close the international one and release the pledged amount, hope this helps, we fly out next Monday and I am beyond excited