Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is a statutory declaration for name .... British passport application

What is a statutory declaration for name .... British passport application

Old Oct 28th 2017, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Aliya89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a statutory declaration for name .... British passport application

So, i applied for my childrens british passports from the US 2 weeks ago.

I sent off all the documents, my passport and birth certificate.

Last night, i received an email saying that there was a minor spelling mistake in my passport or birth certificate.

Here is the email.

Dear ALIYA
RE: PASSPORT APPLICATION FOR ***
Thank you for your passport application for your children **** & *****
In order to proceed with your application, please send us proof of your change of name from Aliyah to Aliya. As our records shows that this is a minor name change for yourself, we have to establish that you are the same person that is shown on your passports and full birth certificate. For this we would require a statutory declaration or affidavit, signed and dated of when this happened.
Please note that Statutory Declarations must comply with the relevant legal requirements which apply to them in the country in which they are produced. Please check the official government website for Statutory declaration/affidavit or contact the relevant High Commission/Embassy/ Consular office for details of those requirements and how you can comply with them
The Statutory Declaration must contain the following wording which is required by law. I (name) do solemnly and sincerely declare that as follows .......... and I make this Solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the Statutory Declaration Act 1835.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER ON YOUR REPLY ENVELOPE.

I asked my dad how this happened, and why my name spelling is different on my passport from my birth cert... he says he has no idea.

Someone please tell me what a statutory declaration is.... i don’t have any proof of name change. My passport has always been issued to me as Aliya (passport) and not Aliyah (birth cert)
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a statutory declaration for name .... British passport application

Like an affidavit - a statement sworn by you or others in front of a notary public and stamped by that notary/
Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Aliya89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is a statutory declaration for name .... British passport application

Thanks..
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A UK Deed Poll would also do the trick. Or you could just revert to your birth name.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.ukdeedpolloffice.org/adult-deed-poll/

i have a memory from my studies long ago that in the jurisidiction of Scots Law, the deed poll is not used or takes a different form.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And lo and behold the Great Google confirmed what was implanted in my decaying brain cells

Changing Your Name in Scotland