Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Old Jun 21st 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Originally Posted by mrken30
I have used this to move USD to GBP, transfer happened in a few seconds.
But not transferring Vietnamese Dongs to GBPs, which is what Saigon456 is referring to.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
But not transferring Vietnamese Dongs to GBPs, which is what Saigon456 is referring to.
True, but Vietnam and the United Kingdom are listed as participating countries. But only from the UK to Vietnam. I wonder if that is a mistake.

https://www.citibank.com.vn/english/...l_transfer.htm
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking back a chunk of cash in Canadian currency will mean losing quite a lot on the exchange rate. Where did you propose to convert the cash from Canadian $ into £sd ?
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which banks require employment documentation? .... They might ask for it, but it isn't necessary to open an account, at least not in the US or UK - alternative sources of income are acceptable, at least so long as they're legit.
They may well ask for a work permit and proof of tax payment. May be US and UK banks don't.
To arrive with a bag full of Dong in UK wouldn't be useful. Which bank would buy it? If a forex trader buys Dong it will be with a noticeable loss for the seller.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:01 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigon456
Thanks but I don't even come close to fulfilling the eligibility criteria on this page...

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/hsbc-prem...HowtoApply_Btn
Go to the bank in Vietnam and ask how much it would cost you to set up for a few months whilst you do the transfer. You know how it works in Asia. Everything is feasible for a charge.

Or you know, say f it, and leave the money behind whilst complaining about what the internet says rather than getting up and going and trying.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 12:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
They may well ask for a work permit and proof of tax payment. May be US and UK banks don't. ....
Well if the source of the funds wasn't documented, declared and taxed then the OP may have a huge problem. As far as I can tell, a non-Vietnamese who can show that the money was obtained legitimately, and presumably declared for tax purposes, should be able to transfer money out of Vietnam, albeit with some hoops to jump through.
.... To arrive with a bag full of Dong in UK wouldn't be useful. Which bank would buy it? If a forex trader buys Dong it will be with a noticeable loss for the seller.
That much is certainly true - I am not sure that most bureaux de change establishments in the UK would take dong at any price.

I also suspect that anyone prepared to exchange dong for physical US$ will give you a pretty crappy exchange rate, and in any case you'd lose another 10% on exchanging US$ for pounds sterling in the UK.

In truth if the money can't be wired out of Vietnam using above-board means then there isn't a cheap, low-risk method to get the money back to the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 27th 2017 at 12:54 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well if the source of the funds wasn't documented, declared and taxed then the OP may have a huge problem. As far as I can tell, a non-Vietnamese who can show that the money was obtained legitimately, and presumably declared for tax purposes, should be able to transfer money out of Vietnam, albeit with some hoops to jump through.
That is what Saigon456 (not the OP) seems to be saying in #17 above. That is his real problem rather than how to transfer the money.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

mention was made in the FB group of going to a gold seller. Informal currency exchange apparently.

OP can turn up in the UK with up to the currency equivalent of 10K EUROS cash not have to declare it.

If it's more than 10k Euros then the OP has a problem - maybe go and declare their earnings, pay the tax due if the amount is sufficient to warrant it.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 5:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
- maybe go and declare their earnings, pay the tax due if the amount is sufficient to warrant it.
I agree. Clearing up the mess by legitimizing the money at source, i.e. in Vietnam, is going to be the preferred solution unless he risks imprisonment or very substantial fines.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has run into a problem that used to be very common - Exchange Control. Vietnam doers not permit unfettered export of foreign currency.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
The OP has run into a problem that used to be very common - Exchange Control. .....
It was in the UK, until May 1979.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Saigon456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
mention was made in the FB group of going to a gold seller. Informal currency exchange apparently.

OP can turn up in the UK with up to the currency equivalent of 10K EUROS cash not have to declare it.

If it's more than 10k Euros then the OP has a problem - maybe go and declare their earnings, pay the tax due if the amount is sufficient to warrant it.
This is what I'm doing. I will buy 8,700 GBP in Saigon from a gold shop and take to UK. You are only supposed to take out $5000 from VN but many friends have taken out upwards of 20,000 Euro before so I'm not too worried.

Problem is when we sell our apartment which is worth about $70,000. My wife (Viet) is currently looking at the rules which may allow Viet nationals to carry cash proceeds from property sales to a new country if they obtain the appropriate visa to live there, and then she can declare it at the airport and pay whatever duties apply (anyone know more about duties on declared cash into the UK?). Will update soon about this method.

The only other option would be the HSBC premier account route. I'd like to apologize to OriginalSunshine who suggested this a while ago and I said I didn't qualify but actually if the wife had an HSBC premier account in VN (You need 1 billion VND to qualify) then you automatically qualify for an HSBC premier account in the UK. So new plan would be...

1) I go back to UK and get a job
2) 6 months later we apply for her visa.
4) When the visa comes through she sells the apartment and opens HSBC premier account in VN. Puts all proceeds from sale in there (about 2 billion VND).
5) She comes to UK on her visa and opens up HSBC premier account in UK.
6) We transfer money from VN to UK with the only charge being for the exchange rate. (She can prove the source of funds from the property sale documentation).

Number 5 is easy to do yes? A spouse with a family visa can open a bank account in UK?

Last edited by Saigon456; Jun 28th 2017 at 6:18 am.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Anyone have experience with a spouse on a family visa opening a bank account in UK? Easy enough?
Old Jul 4th 2017, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

"This is what I'm doing. I will buy 8,700 GBP in Saigon from a gold shop and take to UK. You are only supposed to take out $5000 from VN but many friends have taken out upwards of 20,000 Euro before so I'm not too worried."

As long as you can prove a legal source when getting caught with 20.000 Euro on arrival.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
As long as you can prove a legal source when getting caught with 20.000 Euro on arrival.
I'm only taking 8,700 GBP with me to UK as mentioned above. (The nothing to declare limit).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.