Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

rsb86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Hi
Myself and my wife are thinking of moving back to England from Canada. We have some savings here whilst we have been working, instead of transferring all the money into our U.K. Bank account via the bank or online currency FX sites, I want to take back a lump sum as cash .. approx $10,000 - $15,000.
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Originally Posted by rsb86
Hi
Myself and my wife are thinking of moving back to England from Canada. We have some savings here whilst we have been working, instead of transferring all the money into our U.K. Bank account via the bank or online currency FX sites, I want to take back a lump sum as cash .. approx $10,000 - $15,000.
Seriously, a simple Google gives you the answer:
https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

Why would you want to physically carry that amount of cash with the risks involved?
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

rsb86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the legal amount of physical cash we can bring back into England?

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Seriously, a simple Google gives you the answer:
https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

Why would you want to physically carry that amount of cash with the risks involved?
You can bring in up to 10K euros without having to declare it. You can bring in larger amounts but you have to tell customs about it and presumably satisfy them that you are not money laundering.

So be prepared to show where the money came from. Sale of house? they'll want to see the documents and the paper trail of the sale and progress of the money into your bank account.

Sale of shares/investments? the same

long term savings? Bring every bank statement showing the accumulation of the money.

What about exiting Canada? Restrictions there?
Old Jun 6th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
What about exiting Canada? Restrictions there?
Same answer, different currency!

CAN$10k or more must be declared going in or out of Canada.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsb86
Hi
Have you researched how much it will cost to convert the cash into £s?

You can go to TransferWise and easily see how much you will get on a transfer of such an amount. You may be surprised at how good it is compared to converting cash once you arrive.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Saigon456 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Have you researched how much it will cost to convert the cash into £s?

You can go to TransferWise and easily see how much you will get on a transfer of such an amount. You may be surprised at how good it is compared to converting cash once you arrive.
Vietnam doesn't allow bank transfers abroad (I can use my Viet cards to withdraw cash at ATM's in UK but this will cost a fortune.) so the only choice once I sell my apartment is to bring cash over to the UK and declare it, and produce documentation of the sale right?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigon456
Vietnam doesn't allow bank transfers abroad (I can use my Viet cards to withdraw cash at ATM's in UK but this will cost a fortune.) so the only choice once I sell my apartment is to bring cash over to the UK and declare it, and produce documentation of the sale right?
Gotcha, and as you say, bring documents to prove where the cash came from.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

And make sure you declare it!
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:24 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Get an HSBC Vietnamese account. Transfer local currency to gbp in local account.

Then use global transfer of gbp in Vietnam to gbp in Uk

We have the same issue in Malaysia and this is our legal workaround.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Get an HSBC Vietnamese account. Transfer local currency to gbp in local account.

Then use global transfer of gbp in Vietnam to gbp in Uk

We have the same issue in Malaysia and this is our legal workaround.
You can't do that in Vietnam as far as I've been told. International transfers are not allowed.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:51 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You can't do that in Vietnam as far as I've been told. International transfers are not allowed.
I just tried converting vietnamese dong to sterling on WorldFirst website and it doesn't do it at all. It looks like you are correct.

Do you know if there are limits on what you can physically carry out with you?
Old Jun 10th 2017, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I just tried converting vietnamese dong to sterling on WorldFirst website and it doesn't do it at all. It looks like you are correct.

Do you know if there are limits on what you can physically carry out with you?
It's supposed to be 5,000USD. Not sure if that's per person or as a family.

I guess I will just carry the surplus on my body.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 10:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.citibank.com.vn/english/...l_transfer.htm

Citi Global Transfer service lets you transfer money real-time from your Citibank account to other Citibank accounts or aboard. It is easier to use, faster and more cost effective than traditional Telegraphic Transfer (TT).

Eligible customer to open International USD Account for outbound transfer Citi Global Transfer:

- Foreigners living and/or working in Vietnam, age 18 and above.

-All account holders must be foreigner to open Joint International Account USD. Duo nationality with Vietnamese nationality is not allowed.
This service is only applicable for existing foreign passport account holders.
Customer needs to open an USD International Account.
The payee will need to be added and activated before you can transfer funds to the payee account.
There's also some useful info in this post: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/trans...matthew-lourey

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 10th 2017 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 10:41 pm
Austin. TX.

oh this reminds me...

I asked on an FB group about Vietnam and transferring money. They said you can do it if you have a work visa and you can show where the money came from and might need other documents, it might take a few days but your bank can then transfer the money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.