Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What do you think of this article?

What do you think of this article?

Old May 31st 2016, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you think of this article?

Originally Posted by Editha
Downton Gabby, I agree with Pulaski too. Far from narrowing down the choice, you do seem to be going round in circles. The best thing you could do is have a holiday in the UK and use your time here to scout out the best places to live. But, I have as much scepticism as the others about how serious you really are about relocating.

I agree and a winter let (not being smart here, I promise) would allow sufficient time for full scouting and seeing how supermarkets work with self-catering and the costs would be much much lower. Plus one could get acclimated, as they say.

The irony is that the last person who was coming to the UK on holiday to do scouting prior to settling who had never been to the UK (from Seattle as I recall) then went through the entire process all over again of asking where to scout - Berkshire - Home Counties - Eastbourne - Torquay - Knutsford - Manchester - Bath - blah blah blah, apparently did the trip and that was the last we ever heard so we have zero idea of whether the counsel was worthwhile and whether we should consider something else or a different approach for the next-comer. And there were others with Irish passports and all that that entailed then.

Hence in part the frustration aired here on this thread.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 31st 2016 at 11:31 am. Reason: on this thread
Old May 31st 2016, 12:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Downton Gabby, I agree with Pulaski too. Far from narrowing down the choice, you do seem to be going round in circles. ....
Thank you.
.... The best thing you could do is have a holiday in the UK and use your time here to scout out the best places to live.
Way back, in the dim and distant past, that suggestion was made and discounted because DG has a dog, and she won't leave it in the US and can't tow it around the UK while she stays in hotels or holiday rentals.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 31st 2016 at 12:26 pm.
Old May 31st 2016, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thank you. Way back, in the dim and distant past, that suggestion was made and discounted because DG has a dog, and she won't leave it in the US and can't tow it around the UK while she stays in hotels or holiday rentals.
On the This may be a challenge... thread that kicked off at 6:31pm on May 25th there are responses to the dog issue incl my suggesting that East Dorset - Purbeck was prime dog country but the OP has not responded to any of the posts on there.

I think that we are 'on board' that there is a dog involved and there are holiday let landlords who have niche markets if they allow dogs. Hopefully some of those landlords also do winter lets with those properties so the towing should not be too heavy-duty if the 'search' can be somewhat localised. Heavens! we must all accept that we don't or can't live in utopia in spite of what we might say in the avatar section.

It could be worse - jasey from South Africa had four dogs and three cats or something like that and we were still able to come up with some answers particularly for areas which are agricultural and even within 60 miles of London in some cases.

Believe me, in this part of the world there are loads of dog owners and moving them around incl on public transport is not made to be an issue. The dog is important too as it gives everybody an excuse to open up and chat.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 31st 2016 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Believe me, in this part of the world there are loads.....
Old May 31st 2016, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all who have offered such wonderful suggestions. I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness shown and the time spent giving very detailed and kindly expressed suggestions.

To those of you have decided it would be appropriate to insult me, I'm going to refrain from saying anything much in response other than to say that at the end of the day none of us know each other and our life circumstances. I will not defend myself as I have done nothing here to apologize for and have certainly never demanded answers as was stated.

I have noticed that once one person decides to insult someone else, others jump on the bandwagon in short order and follow along.

In any case, I'll be very careful in future about what I ask, as I do not wish to be subjected to any more nastiness that has come from some people.

Last edited by Downton Gabby; May 31st 2016 at 8:03 pm.
Old May 31st 2016, 8:00 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
follow along.

In any case, I'll be very careful in future about what I ask, as I do not wish to be subjected to any more nastiness.
What nastiness? All of these people have been giving you advice and information for two years.
Old May 31st 2016, 8:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thank you to all who have offered such wonderful suggestions. I truly appreciate the thoughtfulness shown and the time spent giving very detailed and kindly expressed suggestions.

To those of you have decided it would be appropriate to insult me, I'm going to refrain from saying anything much in response other than to say that at the end of the day none of us know each other and our life circumstances. I will not defend myself as I have done nothing here to apologize for and have certainly never demanded answers as was stated.

I have noticed that once one person decides to insult someone else, others jump on the bandwagon in short order and follow along.

In any case, I'll be very careful in future about what I ask, as I do not wish to be subjected to any more nastiness.
I sincerely apologize if I offended you, I was trying to HELP you get useful answers. You have gone down a path that others have trodden before you, asking repetitive/ very similar questions and getting fewer and fewer answers. Honestly, asking the same or very similar questions is not going to get you more information.

You have probably noted that you got fewer answers to your most recent question compared to your previous posts. That wasn't my fault, but was totally predictable for the reasons I have tried to explain, but which you have been unwilling to accept.

I certainly wasn't trying to insult you - honestly I have better things to do with my time than lob insults at someone I don't know and will never meet.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 31st 2016 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2016, 11:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Has the OP ever visited the UK? A two week roaming holiday would cover any and all of the areas she is considering to live in.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Has the OP ever visited the UK? A two week roaming holiday would cover any and all of the areas she is considering to live in.

To be honest as it's been over two yrs now. I also don't think the Op was at all serious about a move to the UK. Had it been the other way around and someone asked her about where to live in the USA for that length of time ..she would have given up on them by now. Put a pin in the map.. would give you about the same chance as all this time consuming advice
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, she has never visited the UK; and the holiday/visit has been suggested numerous times but due to various reasons cannot be undertaken.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No, she has never visited the UK; and the holiday/visit has been suggested numerous times but due to various reasons cannot be undertaken.
Can't visit the UK but intends to move there?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, if she did visit, she'd realise what a hell-hole it is and wouldn't want to move there.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
To be fair, if she did visit, she'd realise what a hell-hole it is and wouldn't want to move there.
Bollocks to that. You can't brand an entire nation 'a hell-hole'. Well, you can and you did but it's still bollocks!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bollocks to that. You can't brand an entire nation 'a hell-hole'. Well, you can and you did but it's still bollocks!
Of course it's bollocks. It's called satire.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Of course it's bollocks. It's called satire.
Sorry about that. For all I knew, you were just being a knob. I'll know better next time
Old Jun 7th 2016, 1:44 am

It's all about her dog, which she won't board while she makes a rece trip, and obviously bringing the dog on vacation would mean three transatlantic trips, which is a bit pricy, and would limit her lodging options while in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.