Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

We're moving back home ...

We're moving back home ...

Old Jun 28th 2015, 4:26 am
Just Joined

mandevilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're moving back home ...

We've lived in the USA for twenty some years ... my husband recently retired... we'd like to spend our remaining years with our family. Now we have definitely made our decision there is so much to plan and think about ... where do I start? I'm sure there are a lot of pitfalls ...I would like to ship at least some of our belongings back... I'll appreciate any tips to help me get my head around this Thank you.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're moving back home ...

A bit more info need. Are you both British Citizens? Dual citizens?
with some more detail you'll get lots of advice from the good folks on BE.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Yes we are both dual citizens. My husband worked in UK for 20 years before we moved here.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 8:05 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

A list of websites you may find useful
Old Jun 28th 2015, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Editha.

We already receive British pensions.

Can anyone recommend shipping companies ...

...private medical care providers ... estate agents... there's such a lot to think about... any info will be appreciated.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:05 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandevilla
Thank you Editha.

We already receive British pensions.

Can anyone recommend shipping companies ...

...private medical care providers ... estate agents... there's such a lot to think about... any info will be appreciated.
I did a post in reply yesterday, but it seems to have got lost.

Shipping companies. This is going to depend on where you are living in the USA. I suggest you start a separate thread headed something like 'Shippers from Kentucky to UK'. That way you might get replies from ex-pats who've moved back from your area and know the firms to use.

Private medical care: The usual insurer in the UK is BUPA. But, you will be covered by the NHS from the moment you become a permanent resident in the UK (i.e. the moment you get off the plane). Private insurance is not essential, but even if you want it, there is no necessity to take out cover before you arrive. I suggest that with so many other things to do, medical insurance could wait until you are settled.

Estate agents: Look at RightMove (on the over-50s list). Almost every house for sale in England is on the list. Warning: browsing the site can become addictive!
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

A couple of other points:

Don't use the Rover's Return forum for this kind of query. Post in the main UK forum.

Banking is another issue you'll have to consider -- making arrangements for transferring funds to the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

Very well done EDITHA. The replies are spot on. One more thing. It would be better to rent first before buying. Also get your names down on the Council reigister asap in the area that you wish to settle. This also gives you the help in opening bank accounts when they do credit checks.

Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2015, 8:55 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I've asked BEVS to move this thread to the main forum.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much ... there is much valuable information here ... I feel that it's becoming a bit clearer.
Do we have to inform anyone to become permanent resident?
Do we just go to any doctor?
We have kept our British bank account however I was wondering how to transfer funds?
Thanks again!

Last edited by mandevilla; Jun 30th 2015 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Do we have to inform anyone to become permanent resident?
No.
Do we just go to any doctor?
Yes. It helps if you have your old NHS numbers, but not essential. It is up to the GP surgery to track down your old number if you don't have it.

We have kept our British bank account however I was wondering how to transfer funds?
You can use a firm such as XE,or make wire transfers from your bank, depending on the circumstances. I'm used to transferring funds from Canada to the UK. Different conditions may apply in the USA, so it would be helpful if one of the USA ex-pats advised you.

PS, you've done well keeping your UK accounts alive. We did too. Nowadays it seems to be a right pain in the posterior trying to set up UK banking facilities from abroad.

Last edited by Editha; Jun 30th 2015 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Just jumping in here regarding private medical insurance. I took out one with BUPA as I had been covered by them while I was abroad (cost me a fortune!) but the one here was not so expensive but only covered me if I was already diagnosed or hospitalized under the NHS. Then BUPA would kick in. I know there were better plans but I did not want to pay more so, after a year, I gave it up.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 12:04 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I had a BUPA policy for years and never made a claim on it. I wouldn't bother now. Consultant's fees in the UK are not too steep, so you can always speed things up a bit by paying privately for a consult. I've done that several times.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the feedback... I'm really feeling encouraged ... I was feeling very discouraged ... we decided a long time ago we would retire back to UK ... my husband retired in February ... he began to suffer memory lapses ... not long after he was diagnosed with dementia ... it was such a shock... I'm still struggling to get my head around it. I need to be home with the support of my family.
Anyway ... thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it... I'm now thinking that it is doable.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 4:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I'm dealing with dementia in a parent at the moment. That's bad enough, but having a partner affected must be horrible. Do get as much support from this forum as you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.