The Welcome Mat?

Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Welcome Mat?

I read recently that the numbers of returnees had increased dramatically in the last few years, well up from the figures in that graph. Being one of them I fully understand.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Attachment 113411

.........................?

Crikey it's weeny! Click to enlarge I guess.
Glad you got it to work but don't know how accurate that data is. If it's from the exit cards, then I know Polly will say she permanently leaves twice a year
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
To me at least the posts dont come across as angry but frustrated. The constant need to defend any criticism of Australia in a section for people leaving the country. Why does it bother them if they are truly happy? My wife commented the other day about how many expats there are that wont accept even the slightest positive about the UK because deep down they arent happy where they are but are totally unable for all sorts of reasons to change their situation. I see it all the time, not so much here but on another totally rabid expat forum.
Your wife is right, there can be many bad feelings about the UK, and I used to hear so many when I lived in Australia. It was as if that country was the most perfect in the world when of course we know that most others have their own beauty and advantages, including the UK.

We don't usually know the personal and financial circumstances of people who move from one country to another, bad neighbours, unpleasant colleagues at work, disputes with family members, marriage breakups, money matters, the weather and so on. There are certainly many reasons why ex pats become disenchanted or feel that their lives need some sort of boost, and it can lead to becoming disproportionately critical of the country where they are living.

I could easily sit here and type out things I disliked about Australia, but equally I know there are aspects I like. The same with England, it doesn't hurt to give different views on a forum.

I'm really pleased that distances are so small here despite family members believing it is too far to visit me, their perception of distance and time is not the same as mine.

I find no difference when chatting with strangers, I can easily do it with tourists around Torbay's tourist spots just as I could with students walking along Adelaide's North Terrace. I think the welcoming mat depends on our attitudes.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Glad you got it to work but don't know how accurate that data is. If it's from the exit cards, then I know Polly will say she permanently leaves twice a year
It's a bit spooky . There's two images there now, yet when I posted there was only one.....

Exit cards? Do we have to fill something in? The graph is from the Australian Immigration Dept. Why would people write that they were leaving permanently when so many have dual citizenship?

...........anyway, I put the thing up because I said I'd seen it. It's an awful faff. Don't like links...

Mr Angry
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You're right, I certainly do The cards are only for statistical purposes and no notes from them go on DIAC files, so every time I leave I fill them in hoping that I won't have to come back.....

And yes, thats where the graphs and the much quoted figures of departing migrants come from - there's no other possible source.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I meant AS A TOTAL JOKE that she seemed to be a bit of a magent, attracting the comments she mentioned. I just dont take life too seriously and assume others dont as well, sometimes I am wrong in that assumption.
Racism ain't a joke mate. When its happened to you a few times it can only be taken seriously. But as mentioned was grateful for your apology and hadn't given it any thought after that.

As far as I was concerned done dusted home and hosed.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 12:39 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You're right, I certainly do The cards are only for statistical purposes and no notes from them go on DIAC files, so every time I leave I fill them in hoping that I won't have to come back.....

And yes, thats where the graphs and the much quoted figures of departing migrants come from - there's no other possible source.
We cancelled that out when we left permanently last year I ticked going on holiday so thats 4 that arent included in the stats.
My wife works with a bloke who used to live in Brisbane and has no intention of every going back. There is also another 'Aussie' family in the village that returned recently. Anecdotally at least the numbers seem to be increasing noticeably.