The Welcome Mat?

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Welcome Mat?

Originally Posted by aries
I felt welcomed when I emigrated to Australia in 1960, and although there was the usual banter of me being a Pom, it was friendly.

Over the years I've lived back here and in Germany for up to a year at a time, but I was surprised that coming back for good I am constantly asked why I would bother.

They could be right, my expat time away amounted to 51 years, perhaps more than most members of BE, Australia being as much home to me as Britain which in many respects now feel like an alien society.

But is there any real evidence that more expats are returning
, except perhaps from Spain? Clearly reading many posts on BE I can see there is an excitement about returning, however we should also take into account that many more expats are happy to stay in their adopted countries and don't use BE to air their feeling.

This article is interesting http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index...urn-home-11201
I said I'd look for this. The graph is from the Dept of Immigration.........

.................and the clumps of hair all around this chair is testimony to the effort to put it up!

Tried: Insert image/copy and paste/drag and drop.

(It is..was, showing permanent returnees)
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I said I'd look for this. The graph is from the Dept of Immigration.........

.................and the clumps of hair all around this chair is testimony to the effort to put it up!

Tried: Insert image/copy and paste/drag and drop.

(It is..was, showing permanent returnees)
Hopefully my own link will work.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/newre...ply&p=10832960

It states ". . . those who move away from Britain may in fact be more inclined to stay in their new country than return to the UK."

" . . . few British expats who are living and working abroad are currently planning to move back to the UK for their retirement. While 43% of expats worldwide want to move back to their home country for retirement purposes, this is only true of 23% of British expats."

However, I must wonder if these figures include Brits who emigrate and naturalise to become permanent citizens of their adopted countries. Do they then cease to be ex pats?

I have family members who went to Australia in the fifties and sixties, welcomed, integrated, naturalised, and have never wanted to come back even for a holiday. I've never understood their mindset and they don't understand mine, I've been to and fro on ships and planes always wanting to savour the different life styles.

But of course nowhere is perfect, and ultimately we all end up the same way no matter where we are . . . welcomed by the Grim Reaper!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

As you've quoted me, I'll respond Still.
I didn't quote you, I quoted Chris.

Oh, I'm confused now!

No, checked back and I quoted Chris. Interesting I didn't have a reply when I said it was hurtful, but there you go. Onwards and upwards.

Beautiful day today here in ol Blighty, slightly breezy but lovely sunshine :-)

Last edited by Still Game; Aug 3rd 2013 at 3:47 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 5:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have found it doesnt pay to be overly sensitive about what a person you dont know says on the internet Sorry you found it hurtful, it wasnt the intention.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
I didn't quote you, I quoted Chris.

Oh, I'm confused now!

No, checked back and I quoted Chris. Interesting I didn't have a reply when I said it was hurtful, but there you go. Onwards and upwards.

Beautiful day today here in ol Blighty, slightly breezy but lovely sunshine :-)
Post 66: My name in the quote window; I respond.

The hurtful thing you raise again, clearly was, because you've raised it! That is between you and another poster.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hopefully my own link will work.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/newre...ply&p=10832960

It states ". . . those who move away from Britain may in fact be more inclined to stay in their new country than return to the UK."

" . . . few British expats who are living and working abroad are currently planning to move back to the UK for their retirement. While 43% of expats worldwide want to move back to their home country for retirement purposes, this is only true of 23% of British expats."

However, I must wonder if these figures include Brits who emigrate and naturalise to become permanent citizens of their adopted countries. Do they then cease to be ex pats?

I have family members who went to Australia in the fifties and sixties, welcomed, integrated, naturalised, and have never wanted to come back even for a holiday. I've never understood their mindset and they don't understand mine, I've been to and fro on ships and planes always wanting to savour the different life styles.

But of course nowhere is perfect, and ultimately we all end up the same way no matter where we are . . . welcomed by the Grim Reaper!
Your link rather bizarrely takes me to the window where we type up response, not the post itself! It is where I expressed difficulty in trying to get that graph up.

Perhaps aries, you could have put up some advice about getting an image-or link to an image, up, rather then yet again this competitive defence of Australia!

..............people return to the UK/people express their reasons for doing so/they express it in a section called 'Returning to the UK'/within forum rules they are entitled to do so/there is a section for Australia-it has several subsections.......................yet:

..............incessantly any sniff that people want to actually leave Australia engenders what you have just put up!!

WHY? Why is Australia/are Australians/.....but vastly more importantly settled expats so completely defensive?

It is INCESSANT! It is the 'my Daddies biggerin yours' childishness.
IF Australia is such a 'dream' then why is there such an inferiority complex?
You have your section, what is the problem? Why so insecure about Australia? I know Australia is young. Does it have to be so immature as well?

To be very honest with you, I suspect so very many posting in this section don't give one damn for those who feel such a compelling need to market Australia here on 'returning..'
They have more important things to deal with.

...and again: the graph I tried to put up in a returning section-about those returning,-is from the Dept of Immig.
It goes up to 2010...(could be returnee numbers have plummeted since and everyone has decided to 'Live The Dream'. Gawd!)

I'll try again later. Links eh? Besides-what would the Dept of Immigration know about anything?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:35 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Your link rather bizarrely takes me to the window where we type up response, not the post itself! It is where I expressed difficulty in trying to get that graph up.

Perhaps aries, you could have put up some advice about getting an image-or link to an image, up, rather then yet again this competitive defence of Australia!

..............people return to the UK/people express their reasons for doing so/they express it in a section called 'Returning to the UK'/within forum rules they are entitled to do so/there is a section for Australia-it has several subsections.......................yet:

..............incessantly any sniff that people want to actually leave Australia engenders what you have just put up!!

WHY? Why is Australia/are Australians/.....but vastly more importantly settled expats so completely defensive?

You have your section, what is the problem? Why so insecure about Australia? I know Australia is young. Does it have to be so immature as well?

To be very honest with you, I suspect so very many posting in this section don't give one damn for those who feel such a compelling need to market Australia here on 'returning..'

...and again: the graph I tried to put up in a returning section-about those returning,-is from the Dept of Immig.
It goes up to 2010...(could be returnee numbers have plummeted since and everyone has decided to 'Live The Dream'. Gawd!)

I'll try again later. Links eh? Besides-what would the Dept of Immigration know about anything?
If you copy and paste the address from the explorer bar into the post, you can add a link to any page. This was a google search for immigration data - http://www.google.com.au/#gs_rn=23&g...w=1301&bih=613

If you want to attach a file that you have on your own pc - at the top of the reply box is a paper clip. Click on this, browse for file and then upload. When the file has uploaded, you can close the box and submit your reply. Attachment appear as below
Attached Thumbnails The Welcome Mat?-frog3.png  
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you copy and paste the address from the explorer bar into the post, you can add a link to any page. This was a google search for immigration data - http://www.google.com.au/#gs_rn=23&g...w=1301&bih=613

If you want to attach a file that you have on your own pc - at the top of the reply box is a paper clip. Click on this, browse for file and then upload. When the file has uploaded, you can close the box and submit your reply. Attachment appear as below
Bingo! Many thanks old.sparkles. I'm aware that this advice is probably somewhere on the site...
Thanks again.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

It is curious that I posted the wrong link, I must have been distracted by your many angry posts on BE.

I don't overly support Australia even though I probably have more experience of the country than most. I merely think it is necessary in some way to balance your difficulties with that country.

Last edited by aries; Aug 4th 2013 at 5:34 am.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

It is curious that I posted the wrong link, I must have been distracted by your constant angry posts on BE.

I don't overly support Australia even though I probably have more experience of the country than most. I merely think it is necessary in some way to balance your difficulties with that country.
I know. It was my fault

Don't you worry yourself about 'my' difficulties with that country-I am not alone, and anyone else who has these 'difficulties' are able to surmount then with the helpful assistance of others, without the recurrent need to be shown that they have got things wrong.

It's a nice section. It deals with Returnees. And it is self evident that they are able to advise each other and give tips and information, so not to worry eh?

Mr Angry
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It is curious that I posted the wrong link, I must have been distracted by your many angry posts on BE.

To me at least the posts dont come across as angry but frustrated. The constant need to defend any criticism of Australia in a section for people leaving the country. Why does it bother them if they are truly happy? My wife commented the other day about how many expats there are that wont accept even the slightest positive about the UK because deep down they arent happy where they are but are totally unable for all sorts of reasons to change their situation. I see it all the time, not so much here but on another totally rabid expat forum.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Post 66: My name in the quote window; I respond.
it was the magnet part I was responding to

The hurtful thing you raise again, clearly was, because you've raised it! That is between you and another poster.
I accepted his apology, haven't thought about it since.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Still Game
it was the magnet part I was responding to

I accepted his apology, haven't thought about it since.
Just curiosity (I honestly mean that), what's the magnet part?

Editing because I've picked up your post Chris.

I'm sorry still game, now I see what you meant about magnet.
I am fiddling about trying to get an image up, and though that magnet was a.....er, some kind of uploading tool..

.............please, please, I am not one to back away from conflict, but it was my post that raised this again. I feel responsible for it. Much as I get on with you Chris, I would not have liked this said.

Look, I'm sorry: both of you.

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 4th 2013 at 8:59 am. Reason: Diplomacy attempt.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:51 am
Banned

I meant AS A TOTAL JOKE that she seemed to be a bit of a magent, attracting the comments she mentioned. I just dont take life too seriously and assume others dont as well, sometimes I am wrong in that assumption.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Welcome Mat?-_56835137_leaving_aus_304.gif

.........................?

Crikey it's weeny! Click to enlarge I guess.

Last edited by TheEmperorIsNaked; Aug 4th 2013 at 9:04 am. Reason: Trying.....very trying..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.