Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to N Ireland

If by any chance you were born in Northern Ireland (it sounds like you have connections there) then you have other options - based on your likely entitlement to Irish citizenship.
Otherwise, even if not an Irish citizen, you can move yourself and your wife to Dublin without meeting the financial requirements. Read up on "Surinder Singh" if that sounds appealing.
It's ironic if you can move to Dublin but not to Belfast in that case.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Antrimsteven is an unknown quantity at this point

If you hold British passport can you just not move back to uk,no questions asked and your wife would have married in so she could come too.i thought it was that simple guess it's not.and you can refer to place however you please to most people no flak jacket needed,I say Londonderry my mate says Derry neither corrects the other because we are living together in peace and harmony like regular people,it's the minority on either side and the politicians who spread the hate in my humble opinion

Last edited by Antrimsteven; Jun 18th 2017 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antrimsteven
If you hold British passport can you just not move back to uk,no questions asked and your wife would have married in so she could come too.i thought it was that simple.
It's not, at least not for the OP's wife as she's a non-EEA/EU citizen.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's not, at least not for the OP's wife as she's a non-EEA/EU citizen.
Didn't know that I thought if anyone married a Brit they became a Brit as well so to speak
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know that I thought if anyone married a Brit they became a Brit as well so to speak
Not since 1949.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Guess I'll have to rethink the Thai bride then
Old Jun 18th 2017, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TrishP
As one born and raised there, I am very well aware. However, I have noted that it seems to be those who aren't Irish make more of a deal out of how to refer to the country than those who live there. "Up north" and "down south" are terms I grew up hearing on both sides of the border.
I'm pro UK born and lived here all my life I call it the free state or just down south or the republic whatever rolls off the tongue at a given time,have little interest in what political theme someone wants to add to each one for me their is none I refer to where I'm at as up north the province northern Ireland and sometimes refer to GB as the mainland.i quite often say Londonderry not as an act of rebellion against its historical name of just Derry but just as that's what I grew up calling it and it just rolls of the tongue naturally.derry is fine with me I heard that's what the people of the city wished it to be and they live in it IL undoubtedly add London to it now and again anyways
Old Jun 18th 2017, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A spouse of a British citizen has a restricted right to live in the UK - they need to apply for a visa and they and/ or their spouse needs to meet requirements such as a certain level of income or assets, but so long as they meet the requirements they can live in the UK.