Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Old Jun 8th 2017, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

pmarshall76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Hey all

I'm new here, I'm looking for the best option to move back to N Ireland with my parents, taking back my dual citizen son (need to apply for passport) and US wife. In august my 2 year green card expires and I can apply for residency (prove we are still married etc).

My parents moved from U.K. To N Ireland last year to retire and will happily put us up until we are on our feet.

I want to know the options for our family to move back together this year, I'm not to save yon the rules but I'm looking for a way to do this without splitting our family up in he process.

Any tips would be great and it's nice to be part of this site now.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 3:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to N Ireland

You refer to a "green card", so can we assume you're in the US?

After two years you can "apply for the conditions to be removed" from your green card, but after twelve months outside the US you permanent residence status will expire anyway. If you want to hold on to the right to live and work in the US in future, to keep your options open, you would need to postpone your departure from the US until next year because you can apply for US citizenship 90 days before the third anniversary of your arrival in the US, or your marriage to a US citizen, whichever is late.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

That's what I meant removal of conditions.

Once I get this I have to wait 90 days ??
Old Jun 8th 2017, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmarshall76
That's what I meant removal of conditions.

Once I get this I have to wait 90 days ??
Wait for what?

No, you can apply for US citizenship 90 days before the THIRD anniversary of getting your green card, so next year.

You can leave the US whenever you like, and removing the conditions has no bearing whatsoever on the fact that once you leave the US your days as a permanent resident aka green card holder, are numbered.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 5:31 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all

I'm new here, I'm looking for the best option to move back to N Ireland with my parents, taking back my dual citizen son (need to apply for passport) and US wife. In august my 2 year green card expires and I can apply for residency (prove we are still married etc).

My parents moved from U.K. To N Ireland last year to retire and will happily put us up until we are on our feet.

I want to know the options for our family to move back together this year, I'm not to save yon the rules but I'm looking for a way to do this without splitting our family up in he process.

Any tips would be great and it's nice to be part of this site now.
What do you mean your parents moved from the UK to Northern Ireland?
N. Ireland IS in the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you hold a British/UK passport? That will dictate what routes can you take.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Yes I hold a British passport.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen1964
What do you mean your parents moved from the UK to Northern Ireland?
N. Ireland IS in the UK.
I know that but they live in N Ireland now not mainland UK
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I hold a British passport.

So you either go the British Immigration route, whereby YOU have to sponsor your wife OR you all move to Europe to live and work and then apply for an EEA Family permit. Main difference is the cost of the Brit immigration visa and qualifying for the financial requirements.

For the Brit Immigration route read the following document carefully to see how you can qualify financially:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Basically you need income of 18,600 GBP per annum. If you currently earn this amount in the US AND you have a job to go to in the UK then you can apply now and all travel together. If not, you go to UK, get job and after 6 months apply.

Savings/investments can be used to top up shortage of income

How to apply for Settlement visa is below:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

For the EEA Family permit you all move to somewhere in Europe, live and work there for say, 9 months and then apply for the free visa.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview
Old Jun 8th 2017, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... Savings/investments can be used to top up shortage of income. ....
Or instead of income.

Either way the first £16,000 doesn't count. If you are using assets only then you need £62,500 (that incluxds the £16,000 that doesn't count) to sponsor a spouse or domestic partner. If you are using saving to "top up" then £17,000 only counts as £1,000 of savings.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 8th 2017 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Wow if that's the only way we are stuck here, who has that much money in these days.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow if that's the only way we are stuck here, who has that much money in these days.
It is not the only way - if you read the link I gave you you will find other options.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:21 pm

Lots of people do, if they own a house. A couple of paid-off cars would be a substantial fraction of that much. And anyone who hasn't accumulated that sort of sum by their mid 30's is heading for a pretty bleak retirement.

As you have been advised ready, if you're earning £18,600 already you just need a job offer in the UK for a job earning that much and starting within three months and you're good to go. The alternative is to go back and get a job earning that much and apply six months later.
Old Jun 8th 2017, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

I am a freelance wedding photographer and earn that :-)
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that but they live in N Ireland now not mainland UK
You're going to have fun in N. Ireland.
Not only is it in the UK, but depending on who you're talking to, you or may not refer to "the mainland".
Pack your flak jacket!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.