Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to England

Wanting to move back to England

Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

Remy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move back to England

I am a british citizen, but I have lived in British Columbia, Canada pretty much my whole life (20+years).
Recently I want to leave this place and move back to england, I am just a PR in Canada.

I have read this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313047

I just wanted to know if there was anything else I needed to know (as it is pretty old). It is pretty big change, I just want to know how to start my road to a new life.

Thanks for any help
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to England

What are you going to do to earn your daily bread ?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
What are you going to do to earn your daily bread ?
Ill work anywhere, at least to get started.

customer service, retail, tech support ect... currently looking up jobs right now actually
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You should consider getting Canadian citizenship before you leave, so you have the flexibility to return if you ever want to.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You should consider getting Canadian citizenship before you leave, so you have the flexibility to return if you ever want to.
Yeah I was planning on that, getting my duel citizenship.

It just takes a whole year or so, I wanted to move in the next month or two lol
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Remy85
Yeah I was planning on that, getting my duel citizenship.
Who ya planning on fighting, and why? (Just askin' )
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Who ya planning on fighting, and why? (Just askin' )
LOl noooo, just a couple reasons

I haven't been back to my birth place since I been 1 years old, I want to figure out why I have so much pride for England and experience where I came from... so to speak.
I have also become very tired of living where I am living right now (not depressed), I want a big change and this seems like the perfect time to do it. I have been thinking about moving back for awhile, but the last month has really pushed/motivated me to actually follow through with it, plus I am a British citizen I have a chance to work anywhere in Europe, most people can only wish to have that kind of opportunity
Old Aug 9th 2013, 12:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to think about this very hard and face some of the practicalities. First -- you do need that Canadian citizenship. You may be a British citizen but to all intents and purposes, Britain is a foreign country for you and you don't know whether you will be able to assimilate or not.
Secondly, it is true that British people can work anywhere in Europe, but that doesn't mean very much if you have no saleable skills. Unemployment is high in most European countries at the moment.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to move, then do things the smart way. Stay in Canada long enough to get your citizenship, and take that time to save as much cash as possible. Keep in mind you have no work history, credit history or rental history in the UK. You may find it incredibly difficult to find a job, and even finding a place to rent. If you read this forum, you will find many examples of returning ex-pats who find themselves having to pay anywhere from 3months to 12 months rent up front, since they have no recent credit history.

Do not leave yourself short of funds. Do not underestimate the logistics and ramifications of moving countries. I'm not trying to discourage you, or tell you not to go; I'm just saying play it smart and give yourself a safety net - do not let your current level of unhappiness put you into a bad situation in the UK.