Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Want to get out, but don't have a home in UK

Want to get out, but don't have a home in UK

Old Dec 18th 2002, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

mullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking cheers!!!!!!!!!

Nice one .I will be in touch once I have looked on some of the web sites.Think I will take the virtual tour of Queensland.I`LL BE BACK.
What part of the UK you from?
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: cheers!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mullen
Nice one .I will be in touch once I have looked on some of the web sites.Think I will take the virtual tour of Queensland.I`LL BE BACK.
What part of the UK you from?
Southampton, Hampshire. A much more "happening" place than here, but unfortunately it had too much crime, traffic, and the house prices were ridiculous!!! (Oh, and the weather was pretty awful too...)
Old Dec 19th 2002, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

mullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Nowt changes!

So nothing has changed in the six months since you left ....
Other than;
Crime is up
Traffic increasing
House price doubled
The weather has gone down minus zero last night.
Snow blizzards on route,must dash milk needs defrosting.
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

cascarbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Stick with it girl - you really do not want to come back here !! your over there getting depressed and we are here doing the same. we would swap with you yesterday. We are also going to head for somewhere we have never been before. Both of us giving up full time jobs and our home to find a better life...... you do not want to come back here. Hoping you can get through this happy xmas
Old Dec 27th 2002, 8:59 am
Nicki

Default Re: Want to get out, but don't have a home in UK

Hi there, I live near the Pacific in Canada. I like it here but it does rain alot in the winter. I think you would like S. California, which I visit once a year. Palm Springs and San Diego area are really nice. The climate is hot and dry, no humidity really. Actually San Diego has a great climate and is not too hot in the summer because of the ocean. Palm Springs is too hot in the summer really.
I have heard that Perth is hot and dry compared with Eastern Australia. What about New Zealand? I guess you want to get back to a continent that is close to others, huh? Well I don't know about going back to the UK. But S. Cal is good. If you can handle the rain, South Western BC Canada is great. The summer is hotter than the UK and it is beautiful here with the mountains. It has lots of recreation from boating, skiing, hiking etc. The rest of Canada is pretty cold in the winter and can be quite hot and humid in the summer.

Best Wishes
Nicki in Canada

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Hi there, I have been in Brisbane for 6 months - some may say too short a time to really make a valued judgement. However, for me, Australia is just too far away from civilisation...

I love the climate (so far, but haven't yet experienced the hell of humidity in summer) and there is certainly plently to see in the way of beautiful scenery etc. But then, hey, that's a holiday scenario isn't it???

We came out here to escape the following in the UK:

1. Rapidly declining education standards.
2. Rapidly rising crime rates
3. Feeling that the UK was being taken over by illegal immigrants
4. Overcrowded roads
5. The dire weather (I HATE dull, grey skies)
6. Cost of owning a small house in the South East (we sold our 4 bed
semi and bought a 4 bed detached with swimming pool on over an
acre over here)

+ a few other more minor reasons.

However, on balance, I find most Queenslanders to be far too laid back, with a "don't give a XXXX" about anything or anyone attitude. The school my children are at (supposedly the best in our area, State School wise) is OK, but my son has just returned home with his English homework marked correct for 4 out of 4 WRONG answers!!!

If the UK is as bad as we left it (and probably getting worse) - anyone got the answer to where to go next???!!!

P.S. What do you do when you've sold up your home in the UK and have no where to return to - it's not easy asking someone to put up a family of 4!!!

Thoughts/comments welcome.

Old Dec 29th 2002, 10:01 am
Just Joined

samsx2ht is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hi, this is a late reply to this post but I've only just found this site.

After 2 years in Switzerland we got our PR and moved to Melbourne in November 1999 then moved back to England in Jan 2000 - we cut and ran far too early. We missed family, didn't like the rules (we have 2 dogs and found it hard to take them on good long hikes anyplace), had an uncomfortable rental home and were too scared to spend our savings even on a car. Anyway the long and short of it is to say that family still don't visit us and we only live an hours drive away - people are always too busy. The weather is very wet and miserable so the dogs still don't get the long hikes in the winter, the house prices are astronomical. We are trying hard to make it work here but I think that eventually we will go abroad again.(Canada if possible) Try harder - I heard somewhere that to feel really at home somewhere it takes about 3 years, we've been back 3 years and I would say I am only now feeling comfortable with the friends I've made and that I think is the key to getting on.

Take your time, don't rush back but if you decide to come back then as somebody else said - at least you tried (and a lot harder than we did :-)

Good luck - I hope you find that special friend that makes it work for you.

Christine
Old Dec 29th 2002, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by samsx2ht
Hi, this is a late reply to this post but I've only just found this site.

After 2 years in Switzerland we got our PR and moved to Melbourne in November 1999 then moved back to England in Jan 2000 - we cut and ran far too early. We missed family, didn't like the rules (we have 2 dogs and found it hard to take them on good long hikes anyplace), had an uncomfortable rental home and were too scared to spend our savings even on a car. Anyway the long and short of it is to say that family still don't visit us and we only live an hours drive away - people are always too busy. The weather is very wet and miserable so the dogs still don't get the long hikes in the winter, the house prices are astronomical. We are trying hard to make it work here but I think that eventually we will go abroad again.(Canada if possible) Try harder - I heard somewhere that to feel really at home somewhere it takes about 3 years, we've been back 3 years and I would say I am only now feeling comfortable with the friends I've made and that I think is the key to getting on.

Take your time, don't rush back but if you decide to come back then as somebody else said - at least you tried (and a lot harder than we did :-)

Good luck - I hope you find that special friend that makes it work for you.

Christine
HI, thanks for that. sorry to hear Melbourne didn't work out for you. We're still in the "do we stay or do we go" stage at the moment - some things are really great over here, but it's the family and friends bit that is really killing it at the moment.

Time will tell I suppose - what part of Hamphire are you in - did you rent out your house in the UK or have you had to buy back into the crazy property market again?
Old Dec 31st 2002, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

samsx2ht is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, thanks for that. sorry to hear Melbourne didn't work out for you. We're still in the "do we stay or do we go" stage at the moment - some things are really great over here, but it's the family and friends bit that is really killing it at the moment.

Time will tell I suppose - what part of Hamphire are you in - did you rent out your house in the UK or have you had to buy back into the crazy property market again?
We live in Pamber End which is just North of Basingstoke and we did sell my house before we moved to Melbourne. The property market is unbelievable here. For a small 4 bed on a new estate in Basingstoke you will pay about £220,000

I wish I had found this site when I was moving :-) theres a lot of very good comments.

We were talking about wether we made the right desicion last night and we are both in agreement that we would have come home eventually but I wish we had done more there, seen more, experienced it more. I read a comment about the success is in the attitude and I think that is right. Our attitude towards Australia was all wrong, we should have seen it more as an adventure and not as a lifetime commitment. Its not a jail sentence :-)
Old Jan 4th 2003, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by samsx2ht
We live in Pamber End which is just North of Basingstoke and we did sell my house before we moved to Melbourne. The property market is unbelievable here. For a small 4 bed on a new estate in Basingstoke you will pay about £220,000

I wish I had found this site when I was moving :-) theres a lot of very good comments.

We were talking about wether we made the right desicion last night and we are both in agreement that we would have come home eventually but I wish we had done more there, seen more, experienced it more. I read a comment about the success is in the attitude and I think that is right. Our attitude towards Australia was all wrong, we should have seen it more as an adventure and not as a lifetime commitment. Its not a jail sentence :-)
I think your last paragraph is true. We've been in Perth now for 6 months and I could have easily gone home within the first two months.

It's getting easier, after 6 months I think I am only just starting to relax and enjoying the experience! We are going to give it 2 years and then see how we feel. I can see us returning to the UK eventually, mainly to be near family and friends, but you're right it isn't a jail sentence!!
Old Jan 5th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

yes that last bit 'we can always come back' reaaly takes the pressure off and makes the move a lot less daunting..

pommie shelia i've only been here a short while but do i sense a slight softening of your tone??

cheers

richard
Old Jan 5th 2003, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by r.bartlett
yes that last bit 'we can always come back' reaaly takes the pressure off and makes the move a lot less daunting..

pommie shelia i've only been here a short while but do i sense a slight softening of your tone??

cheers

richard
You are a very astute man (not many of those around!!!)

Yes, I suppose I have "softened" a bit - I too have adopted the "we don't have to be here forever" attitude and it has taken the pressure off. In addition, we are gradually meeting more people and that helps, of course.

My original "gripes" are still there - I'm very disappointed with the poor standard of education - in the last 7 months my two primary-school aged children have gone backwards - I still miss friends and family like hell, and certain things about Brisbane still get me down, but I'm going to give it a bit more time. My problem was I came over here with very, very rose-tinted glasses and when they came off it hit me big time!!!
Old Jan 10th 2003, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thanks Cinders, Ginny

Originally posted by sydneyrose
You wrote:
..."for me, australia is too far away from civilisation".....

Quite right, oz is far away

Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin Stalin, fascism, nazism, communism, WW1, WW2, the Russian Revolution, Armenian genocide, Holocaust, the Cold War........

there is no need for you to stay in an uncivilised country so far away from civilisation. europe.
And I can hear all the aborigines cheering you!
Old Jan 10th 2003, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems we've swapped one extreme of weather (i.e. wet, cold, windy, depressing) for another (i.e. hot, humid,). Where on earch is the "in between"??? (and don't say Europe - see above!!!).
I was going to suggest New Zealand. Not as warm, I think, but probably as humid. And it may be easy to get over there if you have permanent residency in Australia.

Another place I like a lot is San Diego, in California. It seems to have perfect weather all year, but it's in the USA (which doesn't bother me particularly but may have many of the problems you mentioned in your first post).
Old Jan 13th 2003, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by laurash
Hi Pommie Sheila
I completely understand what you are feeling having lived in Brissie for 5 months and found it the most boring and parochial place on Earth! However I don't think all of Oz is like that. If I were you I would go to Melbourne rather than straight back to England and give Oz one more chance. Even if you only rent it will be better than coming back here and finding it's a mistake. Give it another couple of years- it took my sister three before she stopped talking about England and now she's completely happy in Oz( Sydney). I don't say go to Sydney because I think melbourne is more suited to Brits who like culture and are not obsessed by the beach. She loves Sydney but hasn't tried anywhere else but Cairns!!!
NO NOT Melbourne-u talk about weather well its MUCH worse than Brisbane-it has no culture but it keps saying it does-only sport and more sport-
Old Jan 13th 2003, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Twofingersalute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
I was going to suggest New Zealand. Not as warm, I think, but probably as humid. And it may be easy to get over there if you have permanent residency in Australia.

Another place I like a lot is San Diego, in California. It seems to have perfect weather all year, but it's in the USA (which doesn't bother me particularly but may have many of the problems you mentioned in your first post).
I lived in long Beach California-8 yrs-USA is a great place!!