Reload this Page >

Visting the UK, driving confusion :/

Visting the UK, driving confusion :/

Old May 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visting the UK, driving confusion :/

Hi,

I am a British Citizen, but im a permanant resident of the USA and have been living in California for a few years now. I have a British drivers license (it has NOT expired), but i havent taken my US test as i dont need to drive here at the moment. I am planning a trip to visit the UK next month, and want to know how i go about driving or if i can.. i mean can i just use my UK license with my parents address where im staying? or am i not allowed to drive anymore?

Thx for the help
Old May 9th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visting the UK, driving confusion :/

If your licence is valid you can use it.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
If your licence is valid you can use it.
This is true and we may all have done it, but I don't think it's technically legal if you are not a UK resident. For instance there's an up to UKP1000 fine for not telling the DVLA you've changed address, and emigrating would surely apply
Old May 9th 2009, 4:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
This is true and we may all have done it, but I don't think it's technically legal if you are not a UK resident. For instance there's an up to UKP1000 fine for not telling the DVLA you've changed address, and emigrating would surely apply
Naaa....only applies if your moving around within the UK.

You just can't renew your license without being resident, but if it's still valid, it's valid.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
Hi,

I am a British Citizen, but im a permanant resident of the USA and have been living in California for a few years now. I have a British drivers license (it has NOT expired), but i havent taken my US test as i dont need to drive here at the moment. I am planning a trip to visit the UK next month, and want to know how i go about driving or if i can.. i mean can i just use my UK license with my parents address where im staying? or am i not allowed to drive anymore?

Thx for the help
As the address on it is your parents address and you can reasonably argue that is where you stay in the UK and can be contacted in the normal way via that address there isn't likely to be any problem.

If the address on the license was one where you once lived and now had no further connection with that address the license wouldn't be valid.

If you should be asked where you live give the address on the license and if asked say you are residing with your parents. No need to mention anything else unless asked a direct question.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you remember to drive on the left side of the road and negotiate roundabouts clockwise, giving way to traffic flows from the right, you will be just fine.
Old May 9th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Well..
Normal residence means the place where an individual resides because of personal and or occupational ties. To hold a driving licence issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will also mean that you will need to have a permanent address in England, Scotland or Wales.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...yC/DG_10035602
Translate that as you will.
Old May 9th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

I have my driving license registered at my parents house, which is my primary port of call. Seems to work fine when I'm back.

That's where the speeding tickets get sent, anyway!
Old May 9th 2009, 11:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NoHotAshes
Hi,

Thx for the help
Why not use your US licence? BTW if you use your UK license and are involved in an insurance claim you will probably find you have invalidated the insurance because you are not a UK resident.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why not use your US licence?
did you read the post?
Old May 9th 2009, 11:32 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why not use your US licence? BTW if you use your UK license and are involved in an insurance claim you will probably find you have invalidated the insurance because you are not a UK resident.
He said he hasn't taken his US drivers' test yet, so I would guess he doesn't have a US license to use.

~SG
Old May 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
did you read the post?
Give us a kiss.
Old May 9th 2009, 11:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
He said he hasn't taken his US drivers' test yet, so I would guess he doesn't have a US license to use.

~SG
Just logged in and I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'm afraid I didn't read it correctly. What I said about the insurance still stands though. If you are not a UK resident you have a heck of a job trying to get car insurance. When renting a car if I say I am a US resident most rentals have declined my UK licence and I have used my US one.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:03 am
Just Joined

NoHotAshes is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the replies everyone. im still kind of confused it appears this can be interpreted in different ways, so is it likely my license isnt valid or that i wont be insured, i was going to get myself added on my parents insurance for 2 weeks while im there... worse comes to worst its not a huge deal if i cant drive, just means i have to use... buses and trains
Old May 10th 2009, 2:55 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

I don't see a problem, you are visiting, you have a license which has no expired, and you have a UK address.
The only thing would be if you were stopped for a traffic offense and you license referred to your old address, but then again you would have the 24hrs to produce if your stopped for nothing serious.
I would carry ID with you at all times, just to be on the safe side...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.