Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

lots of questions about moving back

lots of questions about moving back

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

marcelle38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lots of questions about moving back

I have been living in the usa for 21 yrs and I am thinking of moving back. I have an 18mo old boy and need to plan carefully. I also have 2 dogs, one is part pit and sheperd, he doesnt look like a pit but i've read they are illegal in the uk. I also am guessing that I wont be entitled to any benefits for 6 months. does anyone know if they assist single moms with daycare?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: lots of questions about moving back

oh and I also own a house here in florida that I cant get rid of, do you think that will count against me getting housing or anything? or would they even find out about it if I dont mention it.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 3:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a U.S. citizen? If not, then getting your citizenship should be top of your priority list before you move back.

Where is you son's other parent and does that person have any legal/custodial rights?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by marcelle38
oh and I also own a house here in florida that I cant get rid of, do you think that will count against me getting housing or anything? or would they even find out about it if I dont mention it.
With respect, there are people in the UK on waiting lists for housing who have nothing... just sayin'. Not declaring it would be at best unethical and most probably fraudulent.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

I have been living in the usa for 21 yrs and I am thinking of moving back. I have an 18mo old boy and need to plan carefully. I also have 2 dogs, one is part pit and sheperd, he doesnt look like a pit but i've read they are illegal in the uk. I also am guessing that I wont be entitled to any benefits for 6 months. does anyone know if they assist single moms with daycare?
I would think that the first thing to find out is whether you can take your son out of the country, etc.

To be honest I think that you need to either get rid of it and make whatever money you can out of it, or declare it to the benefits people and see what they say.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

From what others have said they've not been able to find council accommodation just because they've returned to the UK penniless. The powers that be regard it has your choice to leave your home and return to the UK...not theirs and the UK taxpayers problem.

With regard to keeping your Fla house a secret...what happens when you sell it and want to transfer the money to the UK?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
From what others have said they've not been able to find council accommodation just because they've returned to the UK penniless. The powers that be regard it has your choice to leave your home and return to the UK...not theirs and the UK taxpayers problem.
The Lady is right being as I found this out myself only a few month's ago while wanting to live in MY mother land, same goes for all benefits except child benefit and I've never claimed a bloody thing in all my working life, even the chap at the job center was surprised when he punched my NI number in. Oh by the way I was not asking for benefit's it's just part of the process now when your job hunting
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:11 am
Just Joined

kaseystaff will become famous soon enough

i'm afraid pit bull terrier "types" are banned in the uk so they don't have to actually be a pit - just match the type. the full info & regulations are on the Defra website, here's the link:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welf...estic/dogs.htm

hope that helps with your decision
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you a U.S. citizen? If not, then getting your citizenship should be top of your priority list before you move back.

Where is you son's other parent and does that person have any legal/custodial rights?
i'm both usa and uk citizen, my son only has a usa passport so far, I am his only parent.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pugsy
With respect, there are people in the UK on waiting lists for housing who have nothing... just sayin'. Not declaring it would be at best unethical and most probably fraudulent.
well I dont have anything, no money, nothing, and I am having trouble surviving here, i've tried everything to get rid of the house.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

anyway I plan on working if I can, I just wanted to know what the rules are. I'll probably have to look for a flat with a small yard to rent, does anyone know if they assist with daycare expense?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

well I dont have anything, no money, nothing, and I am having trouble surviving here, i've tried everything to get rid of the house.
Oh gosh...I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say...firstly try to get your son a UK PP. I know it will cost you but if you don't I don't think you'll be able to claim Child Benefit in the UK or use the NHS except for emergency treatment.

Perhaps someone else will come along and be able to help you...I do hope so. Please keep in touch with this forum...if nothing else we can offer you emotional support. It's very difficult sometimes when someone tells us only part of the story...then we often jump to conclusions. So please bear with us...we really are a friendly lot and will help and support you all we can.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 4th 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh gosh...I am so sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say...firstly try to get your son a UK PP. I know it will cost you but if you don't I don't think you'll be able to claim Child Benefit in the UK or use the NHS except for emergency treatment.

Perhaps someone else will come along and be able to help you...I do hope so. Please keep in touch with this forum...if nothing else we can offer you emotional support. It's very difficult sometimes when someone tells us only part of the story...then we often jump to conclusions. So please bear with us...we really are a friendly lot and will help and support you all we can.
I just wanted to see if i'd be better off there. I mean I dont really want to lie, just survive if I can. I know things have changed in 20 years, its hard over here with a wee un and no insurance and its hard to make money in florida, i really wish i never bought this house as i've put every penny into it and it wont sell now. i still need more info about daycare etc...i've heard the government has programs to assist you to buy a home..
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

This is a difficult time to sell a house, and it is unlikely to get better any time soon. Can you put the idea of moving on the back-burner for a while, get a job and methodically prepare and save for the move?

Your son will need a British passport. Also, unless his father is deceased, you will need his permission or a court order to remove him from the US.

You may also have to find a new home for your dog as it doesn't appear that this breed would be allowed in the UK.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I just wanted to see if i'd be better off there. I mean I dont really want to lie, just survive if I can. I know things have changed in 20 years, its hard over here with a wee un and no insurance and its hard to make money in florida, i really wish i never bought this house as i've put every penny into it and it wont sell now. i still need more info about daycare etc...i've heard the government has programs to assist you to buy a home..
I don't know if you'd be better off. You would be able to get healthcare for you and your son and probably after a while claim benefits.

If you have negative equity in your house...maybe it's best to walk away. I don't know if you can get some sort of letter from the mortgage company to confirm this. It may help you get housing in the UK...I don't know.

First of all you need to register your son's birth with the UK Embassy...if you've not already done so. This will enable you to apply for his UK PP.

Hopefully JAJ will come along soon...he may be able to help you better than I.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.