Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Village Lifestyle within commuting distance to London

Village Lifestyle within commuting distance to London

Old May 17th 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Village Lifestyle within commuting distance to London

Gloucestershire looks lovely too, but I'm guessing that's not commutable?
Old May 17th 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
If it's the village lifestyle you're after (rather than an actual village) then what about a "London village". We're moving in to Surrey Quays which will give me a 10-minute commute through traditional woodland, friendly neighbours, open green spaces where kids play together, decent schools (we hope!) and a price tag which beats most of Kent/Bucks/Herts for a similar property (particularly when you consider the cost of train fares vs my 600per year for the boat). Greenwich is similar (but more parkland than woodland) and can be a slightly longer commute and more expensive as it's better known.
Thank you for this, but this is a newer area correct? I'm hoping for an older village. All the best with your move, I hope everything works out.
Old May 17th 2012, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Definitely the Chilterns would give you what you're after. We lived there until spring last year, near Amersham. Hubby used to commute every day, and we lived in a little village near there.

Thanks for your PM Where did your hub have to commute to? How long did it take either way? Many thanks.
Old May 17th 2012, 3:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Thanks for your PM Where did your hub have to commute to? How long did it take either way? Many thanks.
He worked in Victoria, and it was an hour and 10 mins door to door - he cycled to Amersham station, then half an hour on the train to Marylebone, then another 20 mins cycle across town at the other end.

HTH.

Old May 17th 2012, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to tick all the boxes of the OP's prerequisite.

I think that enough posters on this thread have already hinted that anywhere in Bucks to Canary Wharf is not really reasonably commutable.

Even when one looks at the potential for capitalising on Crossrail which is still many years away, the quickest Bucks entry-point appears to be Langley which is still very urban and it's quite some way before you get to lovely Bucks countryside around, say, Fulmer.

As indeed, other posters (Englishmum) have also stated, the best chance of villagey life, good schools and a half reasonable commute, are on the other side of London, likely in either Essex or Kent.

There is no free lunch and easily commutable dormitory-type towns with good access to the big earning parts of London (principally the City and Canary Wharf other than for media-type jobs) come at a steep price premium, of which Sevenoaks is the classic (leafy yes but no good state schools).

There are lovely villagey-type housing layouts within London in Ealing W5 but they are highly desirable, particularly by the Japanese as they have a school there. The commute is via the Central Line. Schools can be good but some are put off by the Ealing Borough culture shock where some good state schools are 90-95% Asian kids and English is not necessarily the first language for many of those kids.

A reasonable alternative commute is into City Thameslink, Blackfriars or St Pancras, either from the North (Harpenden, St Albans) or from the South such as Eynsford in Kent which is the nearest nice spot on the south-side but not known for its local schools.

In Kent, the best very good state school districts close-in are Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells but the latter is a stretch to meet the one-hour commute requirement. Closer in than these there is precious little chance of finding a villagey lifestyle, apart from Chislehurst, even though actually buried in urban.

As a poster has (englishguy) hinted, Greenwich could be another compromise.

Englishmum has the lock on the Essex info in her post, I think.

FYI, if Bucks is not commutable, then Gloucs definitely isn't, from all points, unless, as many Cotswoldians seem to do, you weekly commute which for some is too high a price.

Not to be forgotten is the fact that an annual season from Kemble (Cirencester) to Paddington, plus tube zones 1-6 is 8,484.00 pounds. Charlbury (Oxon) 6,408.00 pounds.

T-Wells to London Terminals plus zones 1-6 is 4,592.00 pounds.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 17th 2012 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 17th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

One area worth looking at is that around Woldingham Surrey, which has train service into both Victoria and critically, London Bridge in 35 minutes, so adding Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf brings you nicely in under the hour.

Woldingham "Village" is on the edge of open country, North Downs is close by :

http://www.woldingham.com/home.html

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=31378570

Has a highly-rated independent girls secondary school, day and board.

plus

Woodlea Primary School - see website

Property supply seems reasonable in terms of price and supply within half a mile or so of station.

There are a couple of other similar village-type spots on this Surrey edge of London bordering the North Downs with good train service to London Bridge, such as Woodmansterne - school looks fine, properties ok

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 17th 2012 at 7:31 pm. Reason: jubilee woodmansterne
Old May 17th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I You might want to check out villages or hamlets like Moreton, North Weald, Bobbingworth, Toot Hill (!), Greensted, the small town of Chipping Ongar/High Ongar etc.

There are many villages on the Essex/Hertfordshire border which are commutable to London, the mainline trains from say, Sawbridgeworth, Harlow, Broxbourne, Roydon etc. go to Liverpool St. station and the M11/M25 is also nearby.

This interactive map is great - type in a place name or postcode in the UK and it will show a map and where the main stations and roads, points of interest are located:

http://www.pagemost.com/mainpage.aspx

Underground network isn't as extensive.
Thank you for the list, I'm looking them up right now.
Old May 17th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
One area worth looking at is that around Woldingham Surrey, which has train service into both Victoria and critically, London Bridge in 35 minutes, so adding Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf brings you nicely in under the hour.

Woldingham "Village" is on the edge of open country, North Downs is close by :

http://www.woldingham.com/home.html

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=31378570

Has a highly-rated independent girls secondary school, day and board.

plus

Woodlea Primary School - see website

Property supply seems reasonable in terms of price and supply within half a mile or so of station.
Thank you, looks like a great area.
Old May 17th 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
It's hard to tick all the boxes of the OP's prerequisite.

I think that enough posters on this thread have already hinted that anywhere in Bucks to Canary Wharf is not really reasonably commutable.

Even when one looks at the potential for capitalising on Crossrail which is still many years away, the quickest Bucks entry-point appears to be Langley which is still very urban and it's quite some way before you get to lovely Bucks countryside around, say, Fulmer.

As indeed, other posters (Englishmum) have also stated, the best chance of villagey life, good schools and a half reasonable commute, are on the other side of London, likely in either Essex or Kent.

There is no free lunch and easily commutable dormitory-type towns with good access to the big earning parts of London (principally the City and Canary Wharf other than for media-type jobs) come at a steep price premium, of which Sevenoaks is the classic (leafy yes but no good state schools).

There are lovely villagey-type housing layouts within London in Ealing W5 but they are highly desirable, particularly by the Japanese as they have a school there. The commute is via the Central Line. Schools can be good but some are put off by the Ealing Borough culture shock where some good state schools are 90-95% Asian kids and English is not necessarily the first language for many of those kids.

A reasonable alternative commute is into City Thameslink, Blackfriars or St Pancras, either from the North (Harpenden, St Albans) or from the South such as Eynsford in Kent which is the nearest nice spot on the south-side but not known for its local schools.

In Kent, the best very good state school districts close-in are Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells but the latter is a stretch to meet the one-hour commute requirement. Closer in than these there is precious little chance of finding a villagey lifestyle, apart from Chislehurst, even though actually buried in urban.

As a poster has (englishguy) hinted, Greenwich could be another compromise.

Englishmum has the lock on the Essex info in her post, I think.

FYI, if Bucks is not commutable, then Gloucs definitely isn't, from all points, unless, as many Cotswoldians seem to do, you weekly commute which for some is too high a price.

Not to be forgotten is the fact that an annual season from Kemble (Cirencester) to Paddington, plus tube zones 1-6 is 8,484.00 pounds. Charlbury (Oxon) 6,408.00 pounds.

T-Wells to London Terminals plus zones 1-6 is 4,592.00 pounds.
Thank you for your well thought out and concise reply. Kent isn't an option for us for personal reasons.

Essex for me hasn't historically held any appeal, although I have a stereotypical perception of the area. I realise that there are older area's of Essex and I shall look into these as well.

Ideally, it would be an older village with picturesque houses, lots of greenery around us.
Old May 17th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nicola1
Thank you, looks like a great area.
I notice that Amazulu lived in Woldingham back in 2003 but has, I think, moved on since.

Amazulu seems to be still alive and kicking as posted today. Maybe they deserve a PM if you think it worth your while.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 17th 2012 at 8:36 pm.
Old May 18th 2012, 1:20 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Village Lifestyle within commuting distance to London

When doing your research it would be in your best interest to study the detailed London transport maps.

The TFL (Transport for London) website is excellent, you can input point-to-point origin/destination points and it will indicate how long the journey should take, including walking times where necessary. Bear in mind the journey planner is based on ideal travel conditions, not on delays in the system:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx (the maps mostly of relevance to your spouse would most likely be the Tube, Rail and DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/9441.aspx (Especially the combined London Rail and Tube Services map)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

I suspect that you may be vastly underestimating how large London actually is and the distance/journey times between West London/Greater London and getting to Canary Wharf...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...commuters.html
Old May 19th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
When doing your research it would be in your best interest to study the detailed London transport maps.

The TFL (Transport for London) website is excellent, you can input point-to-point origin/destination points and it will indicate how long the journey should take, including walking times where necessary. Bear in mind the journey planner is based on ideal travel conditions, not on delays in the system:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx (the maps mostly of relevance to your spouse would most likely be the Tube, Rail and DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/9441.aspx (Especially the combined London Rail and Tube Services map)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

I suspect that you may be vastly underestimating how large London actually is and the distance/journey times between West London/Greater London and getting to Canary Wharf...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...commuters.html
Just finished going through the entire listing of non-Kent commuter villages per the above Telegraph article and now need a lie-down as only Worplesdon "seems" appropriate for the commute time but this is footballer country, a bit characterless as well, and therefore not to everybody's taste.

Before giving up, I then went through listed as pretty villages in Surrey, Essex, The Sussexes, Hertfordshire and Hants and came up with only one place that is readily commutable - tested train times in thetrainline.com, namely Writtle, close in to Chelmsford and easy for the station which is 37 minutes from Liverpool Street and tfl says add-on 18 minutes to C Wharf via Bank.

Ticks every box, it seems. For schools Essex is of course very well served for very good state schools, particularly in Chelmsford. I'm not sure about current property supply for all budgets.

Certainly looks picturesque to me if you look at the streetview from this house near the green.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Not a bad house either.

The agricultural college attached to the University of Essex is in Writtle.

Looks like there are several very good pubs in the area too!

(Just need to get over the ESSEX bit)

So, keep it quiet please!

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 19th 2012 at 4:32 pm. Reason: cleaned up schools bit
Old May 19th 2012, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Radlet herts..its got a village feel but 20 mins on fast train to kings cross..I used to live down the road in Stanmore. Housings expensive but worth a look....

Last edited by CAdreaming; May 19th 2012 at 4:40 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 19th 2012, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Have a look at Radlet herts..its got a village feel but 20 mins on fast train to kings cross..I used to live down the road in Stanmore. Housings expensive but worth a look....
Do you recall particular areas in Radlett that are attractive? Not ALL of Writtle was easy on the eye. Shenley, up the road - just under 2 miles from Radlett station, looks fairly nice.

Trains go to St Pancras now, which is probably easier for the City etc. than K X.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not AS village-y as you want but have you considered Epsom in Surrey? I believe it's 30 mins into Waterloo but still has a village feel about it. Also lists high on best places to live in the UK every year.......which is nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.