Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US-UK move with two american kids + more Q's

US-UK move with two american kids + more Q's

Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US-UK move with two american kids + more Q's

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
..... I am possibly/probably insanely out of date here, but it also used to be possible to add children to a UK parent's passport. ....
I think that ended about 30 years ago, .... and maybe longer.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aliya786
I will be getting a notorized letter from my husband to give me permission to take the kids out of the Uk and to live in the uk with me. I'll be doing everything by the book.
Good - better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Aliya786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You everyone for the replies. You guys are amazing.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Sorry I don't agree. The immigration authorities do care and there have been instances of people being questioned at immigration regarding their leaving from and entering into a country where only one parent is present. Abduction is high on their radar.

The OP is taking US children out of the US and is intending to enter and live in the UK. The father is not accompanying them. When the father will join them in the UK, or whether he will be able to join them in the UK is questionable.

Obtaining a legal "permissions" letter from the father will facilitate the children being allowed to leave the US and enter the UK.

Do I Need an Agreement From My Husband When I Am Traveling With My Son? | USA Today
I have, otherwise alone, travelled many times with child/children without issue.

Immigration has no power to stop absent any indication that there are irregularities. However the airline does and for that reason such a letter may be advisable in an excess of caution. Or if you have the slightest fear that your husband might possibly change his mind. I was never afraid of that even for a moment, nonevent.

I really think you are inventing problems that don't exist, but the only harm in having such a letter is the waste of time and money (notary fee) in getting one made. It seems like everyone today is afraid of their shadow, but of course that is exactly how governments want them to be. It would never have occurred to me to effectively send a message to my husband that I did not trust him in even the slightest way as regards the children. Not to mention that it is rather common these days that single women raise children, except in the Muslim world.

Last edited by holly_1948; Aug 12th 2017 at 1:03 pm. Reason: afterthought
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So fairly recently then?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

So fairly recently then?
Yes. I well recall the absurdity of travelling with my (then) four and a half years old son whose passport photo was taken when he was just a few days old!
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I have, otherwise alone, travelled many times with child/children without issue.

Immigration has no power to stop absent any indication that there are irregularities. However the airline does and for that reason such a letter may be advisable in an excess of caution. .....
On that point, people often overlook the critical impact that having a one-way ticket can have on both the airline and immigration officers when you arrive in a country.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The airline won't care about potential international child abduction but UK and US immigration certainly will - they have a statutory duty of care to children. The OP should ensure that both she and her children have valid British passports and a notarised letter from her husband giving her permission to remove her children permanently from the United States to the United Kingdom.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So fairly recently then?
Not quite that long, 5 October 1998, so only nearly 20 years ago

It coincided with the issue of the first 'digital' passports.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not quite that long, 5 October 1998, so only nearly 20 years ago

It coincided with the issue of the first 'digital' passports.
Just yesterday, really.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

The airline won't care about potential international child abduction but UK and US immigration certainly will - they have a statutory duty of care to children. The OP should ensure that both she and her children have valid British passports and a notarised letter from her husband giving her permission to remove her children permanently from the United States to the United Kingdom.
You could make a similar argument for having such a letter when you take your child out shopping, or on a fishing expedition. Or for that matter in your home.
Whatever next? Is one to be afraid of their own shadow when there is no indication that anything improper is going on.

And what about single mothers? Are they expected to get a permission slip from an adult male relative?! I know civilisation is circling the drain, but it hasn't got that bad. Not yet. No wonder people voted brexit.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the OP and anyone else reading who's in a similar situation will be very grateful to you and SanDiegogirl for the correct information
Old Aug 12th 2017, 3:00 pm

You could make a similar argument for having such a letter when you take your child out shopping, or on a fishing expedition. Or for that matter in your home.
Whatever next? Is one to be afraid of their own shadow when there is no indication that anything improper is going on.
Not unless you plan on shopping or fishing on the other side of an international border.

And what about single mothers? Are they expected to get a permission slip from an adult male relative?! I know civilisation is circling the drain, but it hasn't got that bad. Not yet. No wonder people voted brexit.
They would still need permission from the other parent or a court order. Just because a relationship breaks down doesn't give one parent the right to move the children to another country without the other parent's consent.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I fully agree with this.

It is sensible to carry a notorised letter as BIP has stated. 25 years ago my friend had to produce one at the airport before taking her daughter out of the UK on holiday. The authorities are even more on the ball for child abduction now than they were then.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration has no power to stop absent any indication that there are irregularities. However the airline does and for that reason such a letter may be advisable in an excess of caution. Or if you have the slightest fear that your husband might possibly change his mind. I was never afraid of that even for a moment, nonevent.

I really think you are inventing problems that don't exist, but the only harm in having such a letter is the waste of time and money (notary fee) in getting one made. It seems like everyone today is afraid of their shadow, but of course that is exactly how governments want them to be. It would never have occurred to me to effectively send a message to my husband that I did not trust him in even the slightest way as regards the children. Not to mention that it is rather common these days that single women raise children, except in the Muslim world.
I hope Lansbury sees this thread as part of his time working for the Met included child abductions at Heathrow.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2017 at 3:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.