US Student Loan question

Old May 26th 2016, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Student Loan question

Hi all,

My wife (US citizen) and I (UK citizen) are moving to the UK in 6 weeks..

She has large student loan payments, and is leaving her well paid lawyer job in 2 weeks. She will be unemployed in the UK for the first few months.

I however have a good income lined up in the UK.

We would like to get some temporary relief on her student loans during the months she is unemployed (not avoid paying, but perhaps not pay $700 per month)

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Will they count my UK income and insist she still pays a lot?

Thanks.
Old May 26th 2016, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Student Loan question

Originally Posted by manchester2016
... Will they count my UK income and insist she still pays a lot?
Thanks.
Yes, but -
the first USD98,000 of British wages is excluded from US AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) under the US/UK double taxation agreement. So chances are that your joint US AGI is zero, at least initially.
She still has to formally apply for loan payment forbearance on Federally Guaranteed loans. And file US tax returns. Annually. After 20 years of forbearance the Feds write the loan off.