Unoccupied home insurance

Old Jul 6th 2015, 9:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unoccupied home insurance

We're nearly at the stage where we can exchange contracts on the house we bought over here. However, we need to go back to Oz in a couple of weeks, to sell our house over there and apply for my spouse visa.

After researching home insurance options, I've discovered that we need a special policy for an 'unoccupied home', as the property will be empty for more than 30 days. A Google search throws up untold numbers of companies who provide this type of policy. Does anyone have any recommendations, or cautionary tales, to share?

Cheers.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unoccupied home insurance

The premiums on unoccupied property tend to be high. I used an insurance broker and got a reasonable rate. It's probably better to use a broker than shop around yourself.

Look out for the small print. Many policies demand that the property is inspected regularly, or the insurance will be invalidated.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Before we moved here, we used to come each year for 6/7 weeks. Had to tell insurance company we were away as it was more than 30days. They insisted water was off, there was someone with the keys and the property was checked weekly. We got our next door neighbour to meet the requirements. There was no extra insurance premium for this, but we were told that if for longer than 60 days, then the standard insurance would be suspended and we would need to take out "unoccupied premises" insurance. As Editha says, go talk to a broker about your particular circumstances as unless you're paying cash, the mortgage company insist on insurance being in place from the second completion takes place.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has a holiday home, so not completely unoccupied all the time, but she had to meet some stipulations for her insurance company.

Water & gas off when it's empty. She has to visit at least once a month.

She also has a couple of other practical things which I am not certain are stipulations of the insurance company or just sensible things to do - she doesn't have a wet heating system - she doesn't have radiators, but electric storage heaters, and she has a mail box on the outside of the house instead of a letter box on the door - so no visible pile up of letters on the doormat.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:33 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
My sister has a holiday home, so not completely unoccupied all the time, but she had to meet some stipulations for her insurance company.

Water & gas off when it's empty. She has to visit at least once a month.

She also has a couple of other practical things which I am not certain are stipulations of the insurance company or just sensible things to do - she doesn't have a wet heating system - she doesn't have radiators, but electric storage heaters, and she has a mail box on the outside of the house instead of a letter box on the door - so no visible pile up of letters on the doormat.
Mail is a potential issue to be dealt with. I believe the various options in Britain for forwarding or holding mail at the delivery office, which may be miles away from the house, are quite expensive. We found that when we first bought our place, and were then absent for about 12 weeks, mail was very light just because we were "under the radar" as new residents. Inevitably, as months go by, mail volume will increase though, leading to the mail box possibly filling up..
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:37 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We're nearly at the stage where we can exchange contracts on the house we bought over here. However, we need to go back to Oz in a couple of weeks, to sell our house over there and apply for my spouse visa.

After researching home insurance options, I've discovered that we need a special policy for an 'unoccupied home', as the property will be empty for more than 30 days. A Google search throws up untold numbers of companies who provide this type of policy. Does anyone have any recommendations, or cautionary tales, to share?

Cheers.
We bought our house 2 years before returning to the UK and insured it as a holiday home. I used Intasure https://www.intasure.com/index.asp?introducer=200000. They were one of the few firms that would even provide a quote to a non-resident. I did obtain a quote from Lloyds of London through a local broker, but the terms were more restrictive.

What I did like about using Intasure was that coverage is underwritten by RSA, a company that I am very familiar with and that the unoccupancy clause was broader. The policy gave you the option of having someone visiting the property, every 72 hrs (I think) during the heating season or ensuring that your home is kept at a minimum temperature, about 15C.

I was able to speak to a person on the phone, versus checking boxes online, which helped to ensure that they understood my situation. Good luck.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Couple of things we do that may help.

Have internet Security cameras hooked up,
Internet capable thermostat, enables you to see and adjust heating / cooling temperature remotely.

And always turn off water