University in the UK

Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default University in the UK

OK. So. Had a talk with my dad about school tonight (over a nice thai dinner ) - and the topic of uni, as always, came up. Long story short, he said if I found a good program similar to the one i'd do in Canada at a respectable European university, and the fees weren't too expensive (yes they would be a little more than Canada but that would be alright) , I could go to university in Europe rather than staying in Canada.

I narrowed down to UK (or possibly Ireland, but would prefer UK) because it is English-speaking. Doing a uni program in a foreign language doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I would be looking at something in Information Technology, or maybe business. Preferably nothing that requires science, as i'm bad at that and I absolutely despise it, because i'm bad at it . (So no, not "Computer Science" . "Information Technology" . They are different degrees in different departments)

Do UK unis offer such a thing? Open to all recommendations, don't really need a specific city as I have no family / connections to the UK so no draw really to anywhere.

The only real hurdle I can see is transferring my Canadian high school education to UK requirements. I look at stuff like "A Levels" "O levels" and it doesn't really mean anything to me, ie I don't know how to translate that to the Canadian system. What would I need to do in order to convert that to UK requirements.

For those that don't know, I am an EU citizen, so my immigration is sorted.

Some of you will probably come on and say "why are you planning this far ahead. Its 3 years away. etc." BUT, come February I need to pick my courses for 11th grade, which will define what I do for 12th grade, and therefore decide what university programs i'll be able to apply to. So I need to know things like this in advance. Plus my dad wants to see a "plan" of what I'll do, from this moment until I get to university.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in the UK

Have you looked at the UCAS site? That has a lot of info:

How It Works | UCAS | Get into Higher Education University Courses

I think you would still have to pay overseas tuition rates if you had not been resident in the EU for the three years previous to the start of the course.

The universities will have a list of what they require regarding qualifications from different countries.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:23 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

I narrowed down to UK (or possibly Ireland, but would prefer UK) because it is English-speaking. Doing a uni program in a foreign language doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Don't forget Sweden, I understand that a lot of courses are taught in English. And as a EU passport holder I think its all free!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gozit,

Obviously I’m no expert since I’m trying to figure this out for myself.

Respectable European university and English-speaking program could entail Netherlands/Denmark/Sweden, and I’m guessing that with EU passport -- fees would be much less because I don’t think you’d need to be living in the EU for about 3 years to qualify for EU fees – though I’m not sure about this, and to double-check could be wise.

There’s a particular university in Netherlands that is, indeed, international with people all over the world who study there (so their admissions office would have an idea how to process your Canadian degree because they have a lot of people with similar backgrounds studying there) – they have very broad curriculum so you could explore what you’d like and your interest during those 3 years. The downside is, it’d be very hard, and there would be classes/courses you’d need to pass (science, stats, calculus, research methods, etc) to complete your degree.

I’d mention its name though I’m not certain if this forum allows that (?). Well, just a thought/suggestion
Old Aug 15th 2014, 4:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I think that British universities typically require a foundation year for students from the US and Canada (and possibly other countries?), so the issues of not having O and A levels are less difficult to navigate but will add a year to your degree studies, bringing you back to the usual four years for a degree in North America.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Gozit
Why don't you Google some UK universities regarding entry qualifications and fees?
I checked with my university and got the following info for entry qualifications for Canada.

Undergraduate Study
Ontario: 70% or above in 6 Grade 12 U or M courses

Alberta: A minimum of 75% in 5 acceptable Grade 12 subjects

British Colombia: A minimum of 5 B Grades in Grade 12 subjects

There are also many USA and Canadian students in Ireland e.g. Limerick University.
Flights to Ireland are cheaper because they have scrapped "air passenger duty".
Old Aug 15th 2014, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think that British universities typically require a foundation year for students from the US and Canada (and possibly other countries?), so the issues of not having O and A levels are less difficult to navigate but will add a year to your degree studies, bringing you back to the usual four years for a degree in North America.
You only need that if your qualifications and/or English aren't good enough.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think you would still have to pay overseas tuition rates if you had not been resident in the EU for the three years previous to the start of the course.
The UK and Ireland brought in the '3 years in the EU' rule for home fees and for access to student loans. I'm not sure if Scotland has that rule too?

Some EU countries offer courses in English and I don't think they have they needed to bring in the 3 year rule for those with an EU passport.

Originally Posted by cyrian

There are also many USA and Canadian students in Ireland e.g. Limerick University.
Here is their site
University of Limerick Undergraduate Prospectus

He will need to pay International fees, as he lives Canada.

Residency
You must have been living in an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course.

http://www3.ul.ie/finance/docs/StudentFeeGuidelines.pdf

Last edited by formula; Aug 15th 2014 at 9:41 am.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Masstricht Uni in Holland.
They teach most courses in English and many UK students are going there because the fees are very low. As an EU passport holder, I think they are FREE. Just as UK Uni is for students from the EU.

don't know what courses they do , but i'm sure if you google it you'll get some answers!
The best of luck!
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
As an EU passport holder, I think they are FREE. Just as UK Uni is for students from the EU.
Home fees aren't free in the UK (apart from Scotland). In some universities, there is not much difference between home fees and international fees.

Expect fees to go up too as there are plans to make the universities cover some of the cost of their students who don't repay their Student Loans, instead of the UK taxpayers picking up the tab. They will have to be more responsible on the courses they offer and the students they take.

Last edited by formula; Aug 15th 2014 at 9:51 am.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quiltman
Look at Masstricht Uni in Holland.
They teach most courses in English and many UK students are going there because the fees are very low. As an EU passport holder, I think they are FREE.
Low, but not free for EU passport holders. The Netherlands didn't bring in the 3 year living in the EU rule that the UK and Ireland did.
Prospective students - Maastricht University
Old Aug 15th 2014, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the UCAS site? That has a lot of info:

How It Works | UCAS | Get into Higher Education University Courses

The universities will have a list of what they require regarding qualifications from different countries.
Thanks Sally. Looked there and found two I like. UCAS Search tool - Business Computing and IT - Summary
UCAS Search tool - Computing for Business (ITMB) - Summary

Yeah i'll have to pay international fees, but maybe it all evens out in the wash since uni in the UK is three years vs four? (I forgot about that. There's another reason to do it )

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Don't forget Sweden, I understand that a lot of courses are taught in English. And as a EU passport holder I think its all free!
I'll check that out. Though Sweden is far too cold for my liking

Originally Posted by carolina212
Hi Gozit,

Obviously I’m no expert since I’m trying to figure this out for myself.

Respectable European university and English-speaking program could entail Netherlands/Denmark/Sweden, and I’m guessing that with EU passport -- fees would be much less because I don’t think you’d need to be living in the EU for about 3 years to qualify for EU fees – though I’m not sure about this, and to double-check could be wise.

There’s a particular university in Netherlands that is, indeed, international with people all over the world who study there (so their admissions office would have an idea how to process your Canadian degree because they have a lot of people with similar backgrounds studying there) – they have very broad curriculum so you could explore what you’d like and your interest during those 3 years. The downside is, it’d be very hard, and there would be classes/courses you’d need to pass (science, stats, calculus, research methods, etc) to complete your degree.

I’d mention its name though I’m not certain if this forum allows that (?). Well, just a thought/suggestion
Thanks... Though i'd be turned off by the science/stats/calculus, etc. I'm not good with that

Originally Posted by cyrian
Gozit
Why don't you Google some UK universities regarding entry qualifications and fees?
I checked with my university and got the following info for entry qualifications for Canada.

Undergraduate Study
Ontario: 70% or above in 6 Grade 12 U or M courses

Alberta: A minimum of 75% in 5 acceptable Grade 12 subjects

British Colombia: A minimum of 5 B Grades in Grade 12 subjects

Thanks. What is your university?

You only need that if your qualifications and/or English aren't good enough.
So would being Canadian suffice for that part?
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Question - when it says "tuition fees £14,000 for non-EU students" , does this mean £14,000 per year, or £14,000 for the whole lot? BSc Computing for Business
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK I really like this one BSc Computing for Business

It has optional sandwich year and optional year abroad, and is the sort of thing i'd like to do. Plus, no math courses at all !! Its all to do with business / computing.

BUT it says nothing about the entry requirements for international students. Of course it tells you fees, and information about visas, which I won't need because i'm an EU citizen, but nothing about marks/school. Based on what it says about A-level Math or Computing or Business, I can take math/business/computing courses at my high school in Canada, if that helps.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Fees, I'd assume £14k per year, since the cap in the UK for locals is £9600 per year. But I am only assuming that, I don't know for sure.

That program sounds good too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.