Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK is way cheaper than the USA

UK is way cheaper than the USA

Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK is way cheaper than the USA

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Funny old world. Aldi in Oz accept credit cards but cop you 1% but also accept debit cards at no charge.

Their own brand jaffa cakes are V.G.
The reason some stores, gas stations don't accept credit cards/or charge more when you use a CC is because of the commission they have to pay to the CC company. This doesn't apply with debit cards.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:47 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The reason some stores, gas stations don't accept credit cards/or charge more when you use a CC is because of the commission they have to pay to the CC company. This doesn't apply with debit cards.
Yep, got all that but it was just another combination that differs from the UK and the US, that was my point.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Yep, got all that but it was just another combination that differs from the UK and the US, that was my point.
I remember reading somewhere that stores and gas stations weren't allowed to charge extra to customers using CCs...can't remember what country/countries it applied to.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:57 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I love the variety of supermarkets here compared to Australia, where it is mainly the big 2 who hog it all with very little difference in prices.

My nearest supermarket where I do go for bits and bobs (and wine ) is LIDL, my God that is a cheap shop!! A lot of the stuff is imported from Europe and I do see quite a lot of Europeans shopping there, but they do have British brand names too and a nice bottle of decentish Aussie red is £4.00. See I did like something about Australia after all.

They also have this lettuce that I never saw in Australia, it is in like a punnet of soil and you just cut off the leaves you want and use as you go along, a little bit of watering here and there and it says it should last up to 10 days, they are usually 85p but were on offer for 50p the other day. They are called Living Salad.

I find so much foodstuff here cheaper even just milk and bread and basic items, oh and especially toiletries and cosmetics, at least a
1/3rd of the price of Australian items.

The only things I have found more expensive is petrol and meat, it is even tagged in some of the supermarkets here especially joints.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading somewhere that stores and gas stations weren't allowed to charge extra to customers using CCs...can't remember what country/countries it applied to.
It's a condition they sign up to agree with to be able to use Mastercard and Visa...

The way they get out of it is not charging extra, but offering a cash discount, but they have to state clearly that it is a cash discount.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a condition they sign up to agree with to be able to use Mastercard and Visa...

The way they get out of it is not charging extra, but offering a cash discount, but they have to state clearly that it is a cash discount.
Does it apply in the US? The gas stations around here usually quote one price for cash and another for CC transactions...can't say I've noticed mention of a discount.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Does it apply in the US? The gas stations around here usually quote one price for cash and another for CC transactions...can't say I've noticed mention of a discount.
Yes same around here.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes same around here.
Several years ago I remember hearing that CC companies were pulling their services from stores etc that did that. Trouble is I can't remember whether it was in the UK or US.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's in the US.

They have to clearly show the price difference, but they can't actually call the difference a discount, but they have to show the difference. If they don't they can get into trouble.

We all know it's a discount for using cash as it saves a few percentage service fee to the shop and it saves you a few pennies.\

It's basically a case of semantics. They offer a price, they can't charge you more for a card price, but they can offer you a discount on paying for cash, as long as it is clearly stated difference and not a "discount".

They also aren't allowed to state a minimum $ amount to use a credit card. That's a breach of their T&C's.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Dunno I've never been in one but I hear their prices are great. Always reading how fantastic their face cream is...compares to similar creams costing over £100.
They are great ,I use them and they are better than *really* expensive brands!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Thank you...I'll haul ass over to the nearest Aldi.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK is way cheaper than the USA

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I've just remembered that there was an article about this in the Femail section of the Daily Mail.

I use the Boots serums and face creams (I buy them at Target or when I'm in the UK) but I might give the Aldi products (see link below) a try, there is an Aldi near my mum's house - paying her a surprise visit mid-week and I guess would still be far cheaper than here in Switzerland:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-Perfect.html

(I wonder if they're being sold in Trader Joe's as well? The stuff in Whole Foods is far too expensive)

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 22nd 2011 at 9:32 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I've just remembered that there was an article about this in the Femail section of the Daily Mail.

I use the Boots serums and face creams (I buy them at Target or when I'm in the UK) but I might give the Aldi products (see link below) a try, there is an Aldi near my mum's house - paying her a surprise visit mid-week and I guess would still be far cheaper than here in Switzerland:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-Perfect.html

(I wonder if they're being sold in Trader Joe's as well? The stuff in Whole Foods is far too expensive)
There's an Aldi in Rockaway, South Plainfield and Union.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 5:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it was here, gas station charge 10¢ a gallon more for CC use and one charges 10¢ a gal for both debit and CC.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 6:20 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who has been back to blighty recently, myself included, will find the UK cheap these days, given that the pound has lost close to 40 percent of its value in the past few years. It also is appealing when one changes over US or Can dollars to pounds and the options for purchasing homes or cars etc are much more appealing than they may have once been.

However, if one is going back to the UK job market, one's standard of living will be linked to what one earns and what type of cost of living it will provide and this must be taken into account as much as the cost of goods and services.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.