Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK is way cheaper than the USA

UK is way cheaper than the USA

Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all
Default UK is way cheaper than the USA

We have been back home in the UK now for 6 weeks and I find it is lots cheaper than America. Though I read many posts here with people saying the UK is so expensive. I tend to disagree. I live in the city and it is way cheaper than the rural Minnesota we lived in. Let me expand on my perceptions of this.

Utilities costs where near $380 a month in a small apartment in the winter in MN, due to the place having terrible insulation etc. The towns gas was very expensive and water was not cheap either.

Wife and I with health insurance was around $330 per month. Towards the end we had no insurance and I was charged $219 per doctor visit and near $1,600 per month for the medication i need for my spinal disease. All of which i now get for free.

Rent, car insurane, house insurance, petrol ( way cheaper than UK ) etc all added up to a damn expensive living expenditure.

We now live in a Victorian town house with 3 floors and spend only costs around 80 pounds a month in gas in winter, thanks to proper building codes.
We use the city metro system and can talk a ten minute walk into town. Free health care / medication. Internet / TV is cheaper in the UK. 38 pounds a month for Virgin media versus $130 for comcast with less channels etc.

Food has less preservatives and tastes better and is cheaper / around same price for some items. In general cheaper.

We really find cost of living here way cheaper. Though jobs are less paid. IT sector is terrible. I am a programmer and jobs that would be $75k a year minimum are 25K a year here. So that sucks.

This was with us living in rural MN, We did look at living in Seattle / New York etc and cost of living there is just insane.

Britain is the best country in the world. Even if we feel over taxed at times, we do have it good here and our we do have many benefits that americans get screwed over.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK is way cheaper than the USA

Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:43 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this information. I am in New York so know all about those insane costs you talked about.

I'm really interested in your utility bills - I had wondered how it would be in an older home as those are the ones I like. I'm encouraged to hear that in a Victorian townhouse, you're paying so little. It's also great to hear that you're getting good care for your health problems - that must have been very stressful for you.

By the way - I'm very envious of your Victorian townhouse!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bigmattE
We have been back home in the UK now for 6 weeks and I find it is lots cheaper than America. Though I read many posts here with people saying the UK is so expensive. I tend to disagree. I live in the city and it is way cheaper than the rural Minnesota we lived in. Let me expand on my perceptions of this.

Utilities costs where near $380 a month in a small apartment in the winter in MN, due to the place having terrible insulation etc. The towns gas was very expensive and water was not cheap either.

Wife and I with health insurance was around $330 per month. Towards the end we had no insurance and I was charged $219 per doctor visit and near $1,600 per month for the medication i need for my spinal disease. All of which i now get for free.

Rent, car insurane, house insurance, petrol ( way cheaper than UK ) etc all added up to a damn expensive living expenditure.

We now live in a Victorian town house with 3 floors and spend only costs around 80 pounds a month in gas in winter, thanks to proper building codes.
We use the city metro system and can talk a ten minute walk into town. Free health care / medication. Internet / TV is cheaper in the UK. 38 pounds a month for Virgin media versus $130 for comcast with less channels etc.

Food has less preservatives and tastes better and is cheaper / around same price for some items. In general cheaper.

We really find cost of living here way cheaper. Though jobs are less paid. IT sector is terrible. I am a programmer and jobs that would be $75k a year minimum are 25K a year here. So that sucks.

This was with us living in rural MN, We did look at living in Seattle / New York etc and cost of living there is just insane.

Britain is the best country in the world. Even if we feel over taxed at times, we do have it good here and our we do have many benefits that americans get screwed over.
My gas bill for the past 3 months in the UK was 60 pounds (3 bedroomed detached, 2 people). Okay, we have been through the warmer months but to suggest that the UK is more expensive than North America is living in the past. I went to Canada in 1987 and the cost of living then was half that of the UK but not any more. Often, it is just a case of people trying to justify where they live. Granted, 40% tax after earning 35k is a bit high but that is the cost of the NHS.

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 9th 2011 at 10:55 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

So far our electric costs is working out around 30 pounds per month. Though We do not really use many electric items. Mainly just my computers all of which are not mega power consumers. Our TV is a low power LCD. The only thing we leave on all day is the Lizard's heating system.

Our house is older but is very cheap to heat. With being 3 floors, the top floor which is our bedroom / my study does tend to be the coldest. Also the warmest during the hotter days. We have skylights to help with that. It is nice to look at the skylights and see rolling mountains instead of flat boring farmland with hillbillies roaming around all year in hunting clothing. Yes in MN we actually witnessed men taking their partners out to dinner wearing hunting clothing and chewing tobacco
I sadly was not exposed to the metropolitan and diverse life of major cities, so wish I had been.
Back to my topic about gas heating. Our house has very good insulation and all double glazed windows etc.

I really thought people would bash me for saying the UK is cheaper. Some people seem rather militant in their beliefs on this subject. Yes the wages do tend to be less, within Software Development anyway and Nursing which my wife's works in. I am just going to college from September to get my degree. Which is also cheaper.

Near everything is cheaper.

Right now is a beautiful Sunday morning. Sun is out, church bell is ringing, birds are chirping - good old fry on the way.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
So far our electric costs is working out around 30 pounds per month. Though We do not really use many electric items. Mainly just my computers all of which are not mega power consumers. Our TV is a low power LCD. The only thing we leave on all day is the Lizard's heating system.

Our house is older but is very cheap to heat. With being 3 floors, the top floor which is our bedroom / my study does tend to be the coldest. Also the warmest during the hotter days. We have skylights to help with that. It is nice to look at the skylights and see rolling mountains instead of flat boring farmland with hillbillies roaming around all year in hunting clothing. Yes in MN we actually witnessed men taking their partners out to dinner wearing hunting clothing and chewing tobacco
I sadly was not exposed to the metropolitan and diverse life of major cities, so wish I had been.
Back to my topic about gas heating. Our house has very good insulation and all double glazed windows etc.

I really thought people would bash me for saying the UK is cheaper. Some people seem rather militant in their beliefs on this subject. Yes the wages do tend to be less, within Software Development anyway and Nursing which my wife's works in. I am just going to college from September to get my degree. Which is also cheaper.

Near everything is cheaper.

Right now is a beautiful Sunday morning. Sun is out, church bell is ringing, birds are chirping - good old fry on the way.
Don't forget your fridge freezer is running and you cook too, thats most of our electric use in winter, summer we have AC
Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Bill Bryson, in one of his books, talking about when he was living in the USA said he had constant hot water, with no idea how to turn it on or off. It was just always there! I find that too, I have no idea where the on/off switch is whereas in the UK I could always control that sort of thing. Oh, and I love the definition of air conditioning being opening a window. I am a lost cause, ho hum!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Interesting to hear, been in the US for 15 years and had become convinced that living here is more expensive than the U.K but wasn't sure..

FYI - Just got private health Insurance via Aetna, $180.00 a month with a $10,000.00 deductable ... and people complain about the NHS.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

Totally agree! I was comparing costs with my parents a couple of weeks ago and a couple of things came to light that were significantly more expensive!

A couple of them are our own fault...for one thing, we never change mobile phone companies so we're paying an exorbitant $180/month for 2 lines. (God, I can't wait to get a pay as you go!). In our area there's only one cable/internet and electric/gas company so those are horrible too: $160/month for the most basic cable package and typically $250+/month for electric and gas. My parents pay about half of that for much better service.

And that's before we even start on health/dental care...

I go back in 5 weeks. Can't wait!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43

FYI - Just got private health Insurance via Aetna, $180.00 a month with a $10,000.00 deductable ... and people complain about the NHS.
Yes, that's the biggest killer....we've got very good health insurance from the wife's job, but it still costs us $400+ a month and we're seriously in the hole for bills when our littlest one was born 6 weeks early and had to spend 3 weeks in NICU.

Everything else I guess is pretty variable by region as well as season, which affects the cost far more in the US than I ever noticed it doing in the UK, bar salary and cost of housing/rent, everything else seemed fairly consistent and the seasons had far less impact on your budgeting.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

bigshanks is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in the US for over 25 years and visit the UK 4-6 times per year. Much depends on your circumstance. Difficult to replace a life style including size and location of a house from US to UK. Most would have to downsize appreciably so tough to compare cost between the 2. Also salary's, at least half to a third what can be achieved in the US so where is that covered? In summary, what you pay less for in the UK is wheat products, milk, beer (not spirits or wine), veg and candy. Also health care if you go NHS but not if you go private. Electric, phones and gas is less expensive but service is terrible. What is defo more expensive in the UK is; housing, petrol, eating out, taxes, TV channel suppliers (especially if you like watching football), meat, fish, banking fees (scandalous). Hope this helps a little, I go back often for family reasons. Last but not least, what price do you put on the social discord in the UK, the nightly attacks in the town centers, the over-riding pesimistic mood, the fact you have to lock everything up that is not nailed down? However, how do you put a value on footpaths (best in the world), snooker, a decent pub (fast declining), heritage etc. Great debate!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigshanks
I have lived in the US for over 25 years and visit the UK 4-6 times per year.

Much depends on your circumstance. Difficult to replace a life style including size and location of a house from US to UK. Most would have to downsize appreciably so tough to compare cost between the 2.

Also salary's, at least half to a third what can be achieved in the US so where is that covered?

In summary, what you pay less for in the UK is wheat products, milk, beer (not spirits or wine), veg and candy.

Also health care if you go NHS but not if you go private. Electric, phones and gas is less expensive but service is terrible.

What is defo more expensive in the UK is; housing, petrol, eating out, taxes, TV channel suppliers (especially if you like watching football), meat, fish, banking fees (scandalous).

Hope this helps a little, I go back often for family reasons. Last but not least, what price do you put on the social discord in the UK, the nightly attacks in the town centers, the over-riding pesimistic mood, the fact you have to lock everything up that is not nailed down?

However, how do you put a value on footpaths (best in the world), snooker, a decent pub (fast declining), heritage etc. Great debate!

It all really depends where you live, in either country. It's hard to make apples to apples comparisons if you've moved from somewhere small up north to say Chicago, or London to Dallas etc.

I'll give you some salaries, IT especially can be a lot higher than in the UK, but often at a cost of everything else, the hours, the holidays, the productivity etc...and if you're on the other end of the scale, the lower end jobs are much worse here.

The healthcare, never really found BUPA all that expensive back in the UK, admittedly that was a while ago and back then I was young and single, so hardly a fair like comparison, but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than it is over here and it is a option over there.

Utilities, I'll give you, they're crap, but they're crap here too, with much less choice and more costly. Especially for tele and banking, the taxes aren't any less here either.

Groceries, that's just a weird one, so much more local variation here than back in the UK, somethings are cheaper here, others much more expensive, whilst in the UK, it's far more in line across the country.

The cost of housing in the US is also out of whack in some areas, so hardly something you can really compare...as for social discord? Well the US is no different there. Move from one location in the UK to another and it changes a lot, the same happens here and no, you don't have to be in a ghetto to see bad stuff happening.

At the end of the day, which country is cheaper or not can only really be decided on personal circumstances of what one does, where they do it and what they're looking to get out of life.

No one answer will fit everybody.

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Also health care if you go NHS but not if you go private.
This is dependent on situation, as are many of the other things you listed. If you get healthcare through your company and only pay a portion, it might cost the same to be private in both countries. But not if you are self-employed as I am and pay the whole cost of your insurance ($1,400 a month for two people). In that case, private coverage in the UK is much cheaper.

Utilities cheaper but bad service? I pay an average of $800 a month right now - for the rates they charge in the UK, they can crap on my head and I'd still be happy It's not like here I get a cheery and helpful service rep and a plethora of choices.

Property taxes (aka council tax) in my area are $12,000 a year and up. Nowhere in England is that pricey.

Cost of housing in the good parts of the UK is comparable to where I am. No cheaper, no more expensive.

My income taxes and petrol costs will be higher in the UK, but not high enough to negate all the savings I'll be making by moving back. No 'nightly attacks' in the town center where I'm going although there was a robbery in a pub last year that netted £450

All this by way of saying that every single one of us has to make our own cost and standard-of-living comparisons - no one else can do it for us because it varies so much depending on current location, planned location and planned income source. One size definitely does not fit all.

Edited to add: I see I agree with Bob. Should have read on before posting!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Aug 2nd 2011 at 1:35 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

bigmatte - I had to pull out payslips from my US job and my last job back in the UK to convince my in-laws that I actually paid less tax there!

Here, I have to pay federal taxes, state taxes, property tax (way worse than council tax - lots more money, plus they can't sell your house out from under you if you don't pay council tax, and you still have to pay on top of that to get your bins taken away), sales tax... in the UK, it was income tax/NI (PAYE) and council tax. Sure, the VAT is higher than the US sales tax, but VAT's included in what you pay for things - they don't add it on at the register like they do with sales tax in the US. And, in my industry, the pay is actually higher in the UK than it is in the US.

To be honest, the only thing that I've found to be more expensive in the UK is petrol. And even then that's not so bad as you don't need to drive nearly as much as in the US, and, if you do, the UK has far more efficient cars to choose from.

Despite recent fuel price rises, heating is still cheaper in the UK - mostly because of the fact that houses in the UK are almost all masonry-built, which is far more thermally efficient than the wood, drywall and vinyl siding that makes up the average American house. I do wish they'd get with the programme and start offering central air in the UK though.

As for nightly attacks - depends where you live, same as in the US. Every large town has nice areas and $h!tty areas. It's just that in the bad areas in the US, the hooligans will probably be armed with more than a Stanley knife and a bad vocabulary.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 2:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in the US for over 25 years and visit the UK 4-6 times per year. Much depends on your circumstance. Difficult to replace a life style including size and location of a house from US to UK. Most would have to downsize appreciably so tough to compare cost between the 2. Also salary's, at least half to a third what can be achieved in the US so where is that covered? In summary, what you pay less for in the UK is wheat products, milk, beer (not spirits or wine), veg and candy. Also health care if you go NHS but not if you go private. Electric, phones and gas is less expensive but service is terrible. What is defo more expensive in the UK is; housing, petrol, eating out, taxes, TV channel suppliers (especially if you like watching football), meat, fish, banking fees (scandalous). Hope this helps a little, I go back often for family reasons. Last but not least, what price do you put on the social discord in the UK, the nightly attacks in the town centers, the over-riding pesimistic mood, the fact you have to lock everything up that is not nailed down? However, how do you put a value on footpaths (best in the world), snooker, a decent pub (fast declining), heritage etc. Great debate!
You mention wine.. I live in New York State, maybe wine tax is exceptionally high here. But I find wine is much cheaper in Britain, and much higher quality "cheapish" wine. I typically buy wine by the bottle (750ml) for $8-$10 a bottle PLUS TAX.. in England, something similar would be £4-£6 including tax.

A couple of people have mentioned lower salaries in the UK. This reinforces my idea that one will be well off, in general, moving to the UK in retirement, since in that circumstance whatever your retirement income, it is not dependent on local wage/salary rates.

As for taxes, I'm sure they are lower in the UK than the US, when you add in out-of-pocket expenditure on health care on the US side of the balance sheet. Again, for a retired person, I'm sure that UK Community Tax is going to be less money than most US Property Taxes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.