Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK or US visa - what's quicker?

UK or US visa - what's quicker?

Old Jan 1st 2003, 2:04 am
Just Joined

snapsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK or US visa - what's quicker?

My fiance & are trying to decide whether I should move to the UK or if he should move here to the US. I know that the US visa process can take a long time. Does anyone know if the UK visa proccess is any quicker, or easier? We want to get married At the end of 2003 if possible. From what I understand that may be impossible if he tries to get a US visa... does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!
Melissa
Old Jan 1st 2003, 6:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK or US visa - what's quicker?

Originally posted by snapsi
My fiance & are trying to decide whether I should move to the UK or if he should move here to the US. I know that the US visa process can take a long time. Does anyone know if the UK visa proccess is any quicker, or easier? We want to get married At the end of 2003 if possible. From what I understand that may be impossible if he tries to get a US visa... does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks!
Melissa
In 2000 my wife applied for a UK residence visa, shortly after we married, through the Birish embassy in DC, it took a couple of days.

In 2001 I applied for a US residence visa through the US London embassy, it took five months.

It sounds like you have time to do either, so it would be better to decide which country you want to live in, and perhaps who already has the better (paid) job, and then apply for a visa accordingly, rather than decide on the basis of which visa is quicker to get.
Old Jan 1st 2003, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Tamara Velez is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to be negative, but many USA embassy are denying the visiting visa regardless that you have all evidences with you. If you are planning to come stay in USA ensure you marry in USa so they won't give you a hard time when you bring him to USA. Is possible that the UK will be easier. Take Good Care of yourself and Happy new Year.
Old Jan 5th 2003, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

snapsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK or US visa - what's quicker?

Thank you both for your advies... I appreciate it!