Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK University Admissions -applications and fees

UK University Admissions -applications and fees

Old May 15th 2017, 2:59 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK University Admissions -applications and fees

I've started this thread so that UK citizens living abroad can get answers about University admission and fees.

The current law for applying domestic tuition fees is that the student must have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for the 3 years prior to starting the university course. "Ordinary resident" is someone who may be living permanently in the UK or has temporary status in another country. A permanent resident of another country, or someone who has taken up citizenship of another country does not qualify for "ordinary" resident status and may (should) be charged international student fees.

However, it seems that there are some people who aren't being charged the international rates and it seems to be dependant on which university you have applied to and how they interpret the rules.

The purpose of this thread therefore is to try and find out which universities are charging domestic rates to the various students coming from outside the Uk.
It would be helpful if you could state the university and your residence status in the country in which you live. Tell us your application story and how you got on.

thanks
Old May 15th 2017, 1:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK University Admissions -applications and fees

In addition to the above, I would also be interested in learning from anyone who has sent their student to a UK uni while getting the financial assistance/student loans from another country. In my case, this would be the US Federal Student Loans (which British unis are set up to accept).

Both the Little Lion and I are dual nationals, and I think (but would like to be sure) that there's no issue with renewing that funding for consecutive years (I believe you re-apply every year) even if the entire family is living in the other country. Even if I'm there, I will still be filing US tax returns, etc. Still, any experiences would be good to hear about.