UK student finance

Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

nathan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK student finance

After almost over. 10 yrs of school overseas for my daughters. It's time to for them to be heading to university back home in the UK. during this time. We've kept our house in the UK running via council tax, utilities payment etc. daughters are british. Unclear on the rules on student finance , would they qualify and can they be considered as home and not overseas students . Keen to hear. From. Expats returning home in a similar situation. Youngest daughter about to start her A'levels overseas , what problems or advice on this with regards to student finance down the line for when it's her time for university?

Is anyone else facing similar issue ?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK student finance

I believe you have to have been resident in the UK for 3 years before the start of the course. I think there have been some people who have, for some reason, been classed as resident but this seems to be very arbitrary and random. Officially it's 3 years of being back in the country I'm afraid. That's both in regard to fees and student loans, and also any bursaries, such as NHS for nursing and the like. However, I think it also depends where you've been too, as I think there might be different rules if you've stayed within the EU?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

More info here too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...9#post11144189
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I believe you have to have been resident in the UK for 3 years before the start of the course. I think there have been some people who have, for some reason, been classed as resident but this seems to be very arbitrary and random. Officially it's 3 years of being back in the country I'm afraid. That's both in regard to fees and student loans, and also any bursaries, such as NHS for nursing and the like. However, I think it also depends where you've been too, as I think there might be different rules if you've stayed within the EU?
This +1

There's a post about this already on the page. Can't link to it as I'm using the tablet - look for the thread on universiy open days.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 6:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
... However, I think it also depends where you've been too, as I think there might be different rules if you've stayed within the EU?
Each EU country will have their own requirements and they could well be less time, but for the UK, it is 3 years residence within the EU to qualify for UK rates and funding schemes such as student loans.

Some folks who have had temporary work visas abroad have been able to get UK rates as stays away were temporary in nature, but 10 years won't fly, that's renewing a visa at best or permanent residency of some kind at worst.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK student finance

Originally Posted by Bob

Some folks who have had temporary work visas abroad have been able to get UK rates as stays away were temporary in nature, but 10 years won't fly, that's renewing a visa at best or permanent residency of some kind at worst.
Ahem, Bob!

Some people get moved around on expat postings every 3 years or so, especially those expats with the oil and construction industries. One expat couple where my spouse works have been overseas for 27 years, living in loads of countries for anything from 18 months to 4 years and have never taken out PR or citizenship in any other country or put down roots anywhere. They still haven't made it 'home' to Scotland yet! I knew loads of 'continuously revolving' expat families when we were out in Singapore and there are many in other parts of SE Asia and the Middle East too.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: UK student finance

Originally Posted by nathan101
After almost over. 10 yrs of school overseas for my daughters. It's time to for them to be heading to university back home in the UK. during this time. We've kept our house in the UK running via council tax, utilities payment etc. daughters are british. Unclear on the rules on student finance , would they qualify and can they be considered as home and not overseas students . Keen to hear. From. Expats returning home in a similar situation. Youngest daughter about to start her A'levels overseas , what problems or advice on this with regards to student finance down the line for when it's her time for university?

Have you been living in the same country for many years or on various expat postings in various countries in the past 10 years? If you have been only resident on non-immigrant visas whilst living overseas then it is possible to get 'home fees' status in some circumstances.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ahem, Bob!

Some people get moved around on expat postings every 3 years or so, especially those expats with the oil and construction industries. One expat couple where my spouse works have been overseas for 27 years, living in loads of countries for anything from 18 months to 4 years and have never taken out PR or citizenship in any other country or put down roots anywhere. They still haven't made it 'home' to Scotland yet! I knew loads of 'continuously revolving' expat families when we were out in Singapore and there are many in other parts of SE Asia and the Middle East too.
Yes....and they're be insanely lucky if they blagged getting in country tuition and student loans.

I've also known a few folks do long postings, one got away with it and a few others didn't and they weren't even gone nearly as long as that.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am familiar with the regulations and can see good reason why some people who choose to leave the country for long periods of time should lose home fee status for themselves, I have always thought it a bit unfair to penalise their kids - after all, they usually didn't have much choice in the matter!

I realise that the parents may well benefit (because they otherwise might have ended up paying their kids' fees), I am sure there are many students whose parents don't contribute anything. £27,000 for three years is bad enough, but £45,000 is a lot worse!
Old Feb 25th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Although I am familiar with the regulations and can see good reason why some people who choose to leave the country for long periods of time should lose home fee status for themselves, I have always thought it a bit unfair to penalise their kids - after all, they usually didn't have much choice in the matter!

I realise that the parents may well benefit (because they otherwise might have ended up paying their kids' fees), I am sure there are many students whose parents don't contribute anything. £27,000 for three years is bad enough, but £45,000 is a lot worse!
It's even worse than that, really though, as without access to student loans as a home student, someone is going to have to stump up for tuition fees in advance. For some students that might make the difference between being able to go to university or not.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 11:02 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
For some students that might make the difference between being able to go to university or not.
I agree, it's a lot of money to folk out. My son's university allows fees to be paid over the course of 7 months, but not all will alllow fees to be paid that way, but boy it's still a large payment monthly and the doesn't include accommodation/food etc.

We are paying tuition, son is paying his accommodation/food, but was only able to do that as he got a FAFSA loan from the US, but it's tough to get student loans depending on which country you are in. I'm sure I read on BE somewhere not too long ago about a parent who lived in Italy whose child wanted to attend university in the UK, and while the child was offered a place the parent was unable to access any student loans from Italy, and the student did not qualify for UK student loans.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathan101

Hi we were away for nearly 13 years and our sons have not had to pay overseas student fee's, we did not tell any untruths, had no property etc in the UK while we were away, we did not use any false address etc and as I said we were granted home status by the Uni and then Student finance. Our youngest (because of the overseas education system) actually came back to the Uk without anything after nearly 11.5 years of education, he started at a 6th form did an Advanced Btec (worth 3 A levels) did 2 GCSE's Maths and Science at the local 6th form college but did English at the local Adult night school, did very wel,l was accepted at Uni (after only 2years in England) but took a gap year to work and is now currently studying his 1st year at Uni (he was also offered a grant as his college results were very high). Our oldest went straight from Aus. to Uni in the UK and was granted home status. Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2014, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi we were away for nearly 13 years and our sons have not had to pay overseas student fee's, we did not tell any untruths, had no property etc in the UK while we were away, we did not use any false address etc and as I said we were granted home status by the Uni and then Student finance. Our youngest (because of the overseas education system) actually came back to the Uk without anything after nearly 11.5 years of education, he started at a 6th form did an Advanced Btec (worth 3 A levels) did 2 GCSE's Maths and Science at the local 6th form college but did English at the local Adult night school, did very wel,l was accepted at Uni (after only 2years in England) but took a gap year to work and is now currently studying his 1st year at Uni (he was also offered a grant as his college results were very high). Our oldest went straight from Aus. to Uni in the UK and was granted home status. Good luck
Brits1 - I know you have posted before about your experience with student costs, which is very helpful

I wonder if I could ask, what was your immigration status while you were overseas? Did you have permanent residency, or were you always on visas while you were away?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

nathan101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Have you been living in the same country for many years or on various expat postings in various countries in the past 10 years? If you have been only resident on non-immigrant visas whilst living overseas then it is possible to get 'home fees' status in some circumstances.
With the oil industry and rotating countries every 4 years .
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Brits1 - I know you have posted before about your experience with student costs, which is very helpful

I wonder if I could ask, what was your immigration status while you were overseas? Did you have permanent residency, or were you always on visas while you were away?
Hi

We have an Australian passport as well as our British Passport (my OH, myself and our two sons were born in the UK)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.