Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc

UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc

Old Apr 28th 2012, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Red-Sea-Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa Information - evidence required etc

It's a complete minefield, I agree! I have recently gone through this for my husband (I'm the UK citizen) and had a lot of help from the people on here, so I shall try to do the same for you

Originally Posted by Isabella17
So let me see if I have this right.

I apply for an ILE with a KOL req attachment
No, what you need to apply for is a Settlement Spouse/CP visa, with the KOL endorsement. The ILE only applies if you already have the KOL. You need to put a cover letter in with the application specifically requesting this endorsement: Settlement Spouse/CP (KOL req.).

(application form VAF4A with the British Embassy in the US? ($1363 for spouse of a settled person - I assume that is what it is as he will be settling also at the time)
This is the correct form and price, and yes your husband is the settled person

Then once I arrive in the UK, I take the Life in the UK test (since I am a native English speaker from an English speaking country) for 34 pounds. (according to this website, if I speak English I just need to take the Life in the UK test. So I wouldn't need to take the KOL test? From what I see, the KOL is almost 1000 pounds!)
KOL is the life in the UK test, so you would need to take KOL. The last time I checked this was 50GBP including VAT so I'm not sure which test you are referring to that costs 1000GBP As soon as you have a UK address (something with your name and post code on) you can book/take the test. Once you have your pass certificate, you can then immediately apply for ILR.

As I understand it, the application form you will need for ILR is SET(M). FLR is further leave to remain, and ILR is indefinite leave to remain. SET(M) is the one we'll be using. Unfortunately it is nearly 1000GBP If you're in a hurry you can do it in person, but add another 400GBP onto that figure!!

I hope this helps a little. There's a wealth of experience here on the boards regarding this and I'm sure people will be happy to help if you have any more questions

Good luck with the application!

Old Apr 28th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice

Thanks! That clarification does help, especially in regards to the correct forms.

I have no idea where I got the KOL was 1000 pounds. I can't find the page I "saw" that anymore. My brain is seeing things.

Right now a lot of our original documents are already at the British embassy with our children's British passport application. From what I understand, they should enter/leave the US on their US passport and enter/leave Britain on their UK passport. We have always just used their US passports when visiting but with the intention of settling, don't think that would work for the kids (since they are British citizens and we don't need visas for them to settle - thank gosh!).

Thanks again for the info! I thought we were done with immigration when hubby got his US citizenship. I have dealt way too much with immigration in the last 15 years. Oi!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Isabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really niceIsabella17 is just really nice

Another question in regards to the 'where you will live' portion of the visa. Our hope was to pack up our belongings and ship it over via the long boat way knowing it will take around 6 weeks to get to the UK. After visiting my family for a bit in the US, we would then fly to the UK and stay with hubby's family for a week or two while we found a place to rent. It will be a very, very tight fit but only temporary.

However, it sounds like this may not be possible and that the British embassy will require that we have a more permanent place already established when I apply for a visa. Is there a way around that? We would very much prefer to have the opportunity to scout out a place on our own and while we possibly *could* take a quick trip to the UK beforehand, it would be a bit inconvenient considering we have 5 children someone would need to take care of.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th 2012, 1:34 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

You will need to show you have some accommodation lined up and that this will not be overcrowded by your presence, if living with family.
Have a read of http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...dance/ecg/maa/
Gives some idea of what is expected.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting. Four of our 5 children are 10 and under. So all in all, we would make 5 people. My SIL has, according to this, 6 people. They have 4 bedrooms and a living room, so 5 rooms. This means that 10 people could stay there without it being overcrowded. This means there is one too many people for that house.

However, his parents live next door and they only have 3 people living there with 3 livable rooms. So the other 'person' could stay there right?

Am I reading that right and anticipating we wouldn't be considered 'overcrowded' if spread between both houses? It really would only be a few weeks tops until we found a place. Any longer and we would all probably exploded!

eta: Looking a little more, would the children even be considered as they are already British citizens and would not on the application? The only person in our family who needs a visa is myself. All the rest are British citizens.

Thanks!

Last edited by Isabella17; Apr 30th 2012 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 16th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

For those worried about the upcoming changes to the regulations and who are British Expats, living abroad, in a long-standing marriage to non-EU citizen and thinking of heading home here is a consolidation of our experience of applying for Indefinite Leave to Enter under rule 281(i)(b) and 282(b) or (c).

I know this is a long post but I hope it covers everything and is useful to others in our position. Please don’t reply with a “Thank you” either hit the Karma button, or PM me (unless this post is already 2-3 pages from the end of the thread and a “Thanks” will help it get found ) – that way the post should stay easy to find for others.

Summary:
I am British, born in the UK of British parents. I emigrated in 2002 in order to live with my now wife, who I had met in 2001 whilst studying abroad.
My wife is a non-EU national, we married in 2003 in the EU and lived in the EU, then another EEA country and then elsewhere.
We applied for ILE under rules 281(i)(b) and 282(c) after our son was born, we did NOT have any formal employment offer in the UK, my wife did NOT have a recognised English language qualification, we DID have suitable funds, a good chance of employment and a long-standing immigration history to the UK
Our application was rejected by the Clearance Officer and later allowed at appeal with a very clear message from the judge that it should never have been refused.
This whole process took us about 50 weeks from completing the online application to receiving the passport back with entry clearance. Hopefully the details below will mean that your case doesn’t need to go to appeal and save both time and stress.

Contents:
  • Relevant rules and guidance
  • Tips for application
  • Documents we enclosed with the application
  • Supporting letters we provided
  • Our grounds for appeal
  • The appeal findings
Rules and Guidance:
Spoiler:

Rule 281 sets out the conditions for a spouse of a citizen (or someone with ILR) to obtain indefinite leave to enter/remain and is split into 2 parts 281(i)(a) [normal case] covers someone who is married to or the civil partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement 281(i)(b) [married for 4 years outside the UK] specifically covers those who are married to or the civil partner of a person who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom or indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom and is on the same occasion seeking admission to the United Kingdom for the purposes of settlement and the parties were married or formed a civil partnership at least 4 years ago, since which time they have been living together outside the United Kingdom;

Rule 282 sets out what kind of entry clearance you get depending on how you fulfil the requirements

In brief for the normal case (281(i)(a)) you need
  • An English language qualification
  • To be properly married and planning to live together
  • Somewhere to live
  • Funds to support yourselves
For those married for at least 4-years there are a couple of subtle but important differences:
  • Pass the KOL test EITHER before applying (282(b)) OR within 27 months of being grated your indefinite leave (rule 282(c))
  • No unspent convictions
  • To have been properly married and living together outside the UK for the last 4 years and planning to continue to live together
  • Somewhere to live
  • Funds to support yourselves
You can see the full rules at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part8/spouses_civil_partners/

The UKBA issue internal guidance to the Entry Clearance Officers regarding how to deal with these cases which is split across two places the IDIs: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/
And the ECG:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/guidance/ecg/

The main IDI is:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/section1/section1.pdf?view=Binary
(Index: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/IDIs/idischapter8/)

The important points are:

"present and settled":
The IDI (2.1) states:
"Present and settled" means that the person concerned is settled in the United Kingdom and, at the time an application under these Rules is made, is physically present here or is coming here with or to join the applicant and intends to make the United Kingdom their home with the applicant, if the application is successful.
The ECG (SET3.4):
Sponsors may be British citizens. Strictly speaking, a British citizen who has been resident abroad but who returns to the United Kingdom to live is not 'admitted for settlement'. However, if he / she expresses the intention of returning to the United Kingdom to reside, the ECO can regard him/her as present and settled in the UK.
I’m assuming “intent to live together” isn’t an issue for those reading this post. One point of note though is that while initially querying the decision with the UKBA they questioned my intent to return to the UK because it appeared to be conditional upon my wife’s entry clearance. ECG SET3.6 & 3.8 state the following (not directly related but referenced in our appeal):
However, if it is clear that the sponsor will not leave the UK to live with the applicant elsewhere should the application for entry clearance be refused, the ECO will need to examine the reasons for this and how this bears on the relationship between the parties.
If the application is unsuccessful would the sponsor live with the applicant in his / her present country of residence or elsewhere?
The language requirement:
Rule 281(i)(b)(ii) uses the wording
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']
[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom[/font]

[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Rule 282(c) also states that:[/font]
[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']in the case of a person who meets the requirement in paragraph 281(i)(b)(i), but not the requirement in paragraph 281(i)(b)(ii) to have sufficient knowledge of the English language and about life in the United Kingdom, be admitted for an initial period not exceeding 27 months, in all cases provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the relevant requirements of paragraph 281 is met[/font]

[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']ECG SET16.1 clearly references rules 33b-33f in this context and states:[/font]
[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months Leave to Enter (LTE). During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).[/font]

[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']And rule 33B(b) [note the exact match in the wording between the rules] states:[/font]
[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']A person has sufficient knowledge of the English language and sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom …if - he has passed the test known as the "Life in the UK Test" [/font]
[/font][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/immigrationlaw/immigrationrules/part1/[/font]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Unfortunately the IDI (2.3) doesn’t recognise this but claims you need a formal language qualification. However 2.7 in the same document does confirm that you are entitled to clearance without passing the KOL and that 282(i)(b)(ii) refers to the KOL test and NOT any other language qualification.[/font]

Funds:
IDI – Annex F:
4) The joint income of the couple should be taken into account when assessing the adequacy of the funds available.
5) we will need to see evidence of: sufficient prospects of employment for one or both the parties.
It would be appropriate to question the couple about the following areas during any interview:
the applicant's present employment;
the applicant's educational achievement;
other skills or qualifications the applicant may have acquired that would assist in getting established in the United Kingdom;
similar information about the sponsor;
what plans the applicant may have for obtaining employment in the United Kingdom;
what arrangements have been or could be made to obtain employment by the applicant, sponsor or friend or relatives in the United Kingdom;
what other support is available to the couple from friends or relatives in the United Kingdom.
Verbal and documentary evidence should be assessed in the context of the employment situation where the couple intend to make their home. A judgement should be based on whether we are satisfied that the couple have a reasonable prospect of being able to maintain themselves and any dependants without recourse to public funds. Points to be borne in mind are:
has the applicant and/or sponsor demonstrated relevant skills/qualifications or a reasonable prospect of employment?
has the applicant and/or sponsor provided evidence that he has a job waiting for him in the United Kingdom?
where the applicant has made no arrangements for employment, what are his prospects for employment in the light of his background. Some applicants will have skills or qualifications that will be of direct value to gaining employment in the United Kingdom and a decision can be made on the balance of probabilities. Others will have few skills or qualifications and may never have done anything but unskilled labour work. In such cases evidence of prospects will be necessary; for example that the applicant can show that there is a credible job open to him in the United Kingdom or that relatives or friends can realistically offer an opening. Jobs that are unrealistic in the light of the applicant's skills or jobs that appear to have been manufactured and lack any prospect of continuing will not suffice.
Care must be taken not to make assumptions. The fact that unemployment in a certain area is above average is not in itself enough for refusal. However, where there are already doubts, the employment situation is a factor which should be taken into account.
Accommodation:
I’m sorry – I’m not an expert here as we had no issues on this point with our application. IDI Annex F, section 6 covers this as do parts of the ECG.

Tips for application:
Spoiler:

Send in as much formal documentation as possible

Get your online bank statements stamped and signed by the bank or use original paper statements on letter-headed paper

Refer to the specific rules you are applying under (281(i)(b) and either 282(b) or 282(c)) in the “additional comments” section and your letters. We didn’t reference 282 and this may have been part of the problem.

You may be required to fill in VAF4A (language qualification) both online and by the application centre. We could provide a university degree as a foreign languages teacher (English) – you may need to tick the “exceptions” box and provide a suitable explanation. With hindsight this may have been the better option for us too. The application centre is NOT allowed to refuse to send you application, but they often try to.

Once you’ve filled it all in and got all the evidence together take a scan of the whole thing and keep it safe (you could keep a paper copy but our application ran to 116 pages!)

Documents we provided:
Spoiler:

· Application Forms
o Visa Application Form
o Annex VAF4A ELT (English Language)
· English Language
o Original*, copy and certified translation of University Qualification as a foreign languages teacher (English & German)
· Passport & Visa copies (originals presented at application centre)
o Copy Passport ID page: WIFE
o Copy Passport ID page: HUSBAND
o Copy Passport ID page: SON
o Copies of previous UK visas
o Copy of current foreign immigration status WIFE
o Copy of current foreign immigration status HUSBAND
o Copy of current foreign immigration status SON
· Finances & Maintenance Requirement
o Certified current bank statements (6 Months)
o Last 4 months pay slips HUSBAND
· Sponsorship
o International marriage certificate [original* and copy]
o Degree certificate [original* and copy]
o Husband’s birth certificate [original* and copy]
o Son’s birth certificate [original* and copy]
o Letter from husband
o Husband’s CV
· Other
o Current passport*
o Photo

Supporting letter from the sponsor:
Spoiler:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I, XXX (British Citizen, born XXX, Passport XXX) and my wife XXX (XXX, born XXX, Passport XXX) intend to move to the UK in order that our new born son XXX (British Citizen, born XXX, Passport XXX) may grow up closer to his family (on my side) who all live in England. We will be travelling and settling together as a family unit and I fully sponsor my wife’s application.
We are requesting Indefinite Leave to Enter subject to XXX passing the Knowledge of Life test as per paragraph 281(b), i.e. endorsement “Settlement Spouse/ CP (KOL REQ): 2 years: Code 1”. In order to support this request and to validate the details in XXX application we are including the following documents:
Marriage & Cohabitation
· Original International Marriage Certificate issued XXX in XXX
· A record of the fact we have lived together for the entire time since 200X can be taken from X years previous UK visa history, photocopies of all previous UK visas are enclosed. We do, of course, intend to continue living together as a family indefinitely.
Maintenance & Accommodation Requirement / Prospects of employment:
· A copy of my CV showing clearly a level of experience and technical skill set which will enable me to obtain employment in the UK
· A copy of my degree certification (XXX) from the UK UNIVERSITY to further underline my employment prospects
· I intend to actively pursue job applications, primarily in the London area, upon confirmation of XXX’s right to settle with XXX and myself. I do not wish for any prospective employment opportunities to be endangered by uncertainty regarding possible starting dates due to XXX’s immigration status. We expect to move permanently to the UK in the coming summer. Nevertheless I have already provided my CV to selected head-hunters for their appraisal and received an overwhelmingly positive response.
· We will rent or likely purchase property near my place of work once this location is confirmed, if purchasing we will use the monies currently available in our XXX as a deposit. Evidence of these funds in the form of original bank statements and pay slips is included.
Immigration Status:
· Copies of my Passport and that of XXX, our son

The refusal stated the following (summarised):
Spoiler:
  • I have seen evidence of your marriage and funds
  • You spouse has not resigned his employment. He stated that he will be seeking employment in the UK but given that he has not obtained such employment and is still working abroad I am not satisfied that he is genuinely intending to relocate as required by 282(i)(b)(i)
  • You are required to meet the English language requirements. You failed to provide evidence that your qualification is sufficient to meet 282(i)(b)(ii)
Grounds for appeal:

Spoiler:

Towards the end of last year, whilst I was expecting our first child, we made the decision to relocate to the United Kingdom as soon as possible after our son was born in order to be closer to family. Both my husband, HUSBAND, and our son, SON, are British Citizens, HUSBAND was born in the UK to a long line of British Citizens (at least 300 years based on his Grandmother’s research), SON is a British Citizen by descent as he was born in CURRENT LOCATION to a British father.
Immediately after receiving SON’s first passport we applied for Indefinite Leave to Enter via the post in COUNTRY, as we are currently resident in CURRENT LOCATION. We decided to apply at this time for practical reasons:
  • We were unsure how long the application would take and both I and my husband, HUSBAND, would be without our passports during this time. It made most sense for this to be while SON was too young for any of us to travel
  • We did not want to be unsure of HUSBAND’s earliest possible start date for a new role but be sure that we were ready and able to move, with the visa and all paperwork in place as soon as he handed in his notice at his current position
  • We intended to visit the UK in July in order to visit family, most of whom have not yet seen SON, view houses in London and set up bank accounts etc. in preparation for our permanent move back to the UK. The logistics around applying for both a visit visa and a settlement seemed unnecessarily complicated and would mean a risk that we did not have the settlement in time, should HUSBAND find a job at short notice and we would be without our passports for a longer period.
We clearly applied under rule 281(i)(b) which we referenced in both the application (relevant page included in this appeal) and in HUSBAND's letter of support (attached). The application was processed under this rule and it is quoted in the refusal. The application was refused on two points:
  • My husband's intent to relocate
  • Lack of knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom
I am appealing on the following grounds:
Intent to relocate
  • HUSBAND clearly expressed his intent to relocate and his activities undertaken to this end in the letter of support
  • HUSBAND was not able to hand in notice for his current job because:
    • He is applying for internal mobility which requires him to have a current contract with COMPANY, as shown by the letters from Directors at COMPANY included with this appeal
    • CURRENT LOCATION law would require us to leave the country after HUSBAND serves his notice, there would then be no country in which both SON and I had a guaranteed right to live, he and HUSBAND have no right to go to MY COUNTRY, I have no ability to go to the UK without entry clearance. SON is breast-feeding and HUSBAND is a very hands-on and useful Dad, we did not want to risk splitting up the family and leaving SON with no mother and needing to move to bottle-feeding
    • We felt that the chances of receiving a visa in the case where HUSBAND had no employment were too low for us to take this risk
    • Were we to relocate and then look for work we would have to pay for flights, transport for our furniture, hotels etc ourselves. For positions at HUSBAND’s level it is common practice for these costs to be paid by the hiring company.
  • The UKBA’s internal entry clearance guidance for Visa services available online at www.ukvisas.gov.uk clearly states under SET-3.4 “What is 'present and settled'?”: “Sponsors may be British citizens. Strictly speaking, a British citizen who has been resident abroad but who returns to the United Kingdom to live is not ‘admitted for settlement’. However, if he/she expresses the intention of returning to the United Kingdom to reside, the ECO can regard him/her as present and settled in the UK.” We believe that HUSBAND’s expression of intent in the letter of support fully fulfiled this criteria and therefore did not include any additional evidence in the application. We have since obtained letters from his line manager confirming that he has been aware of HUSBAND’s intent to relocate since December 2010 and that he is actively pursuing internal positions in London, a second Director at COMPANY who is assisting HUSBAND with his search and a recruitment agency in London who have placed HUSBAND with a client with whom he has so far had two interviews. I am including these letters with this appeal.
  • HUSBAND obviously waited until some time after SON’s birth, in MONTH, in order to begin actively looking for positions within COMPANY as this requires a significant time commitment which he was only able to give after he had taken his paternity leave and returned to the office in early MONTH.
Lack of knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom
  • The Entry Clearance Officer has incorrectly interpreted the requirement 281(i)(b)(ii) as requiring an English language qualification or a degree taught in English analog to 281(i)(a)(ii). This is not the case – “Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom” is defined in immigration rule 33(b) and this is clearly referenced in the UKBA’s internal entry clearance guidance for Visa services SET-16.1 “What is the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOL) provision?” and SET-3.3 “How do spouses qualify?”. This requirement refers to the need to pass either an ESOL course at an accredited college or (as is applicable in my case) the “Life in the UK Test”
  • Immigration rule 282(c) clearly states that “in the case of a person who meets the requirement in paragraph 281(i)(b)(i), but not the requirement in paragraph 281(i)(b)(ii) to have sufficient knowledge of the English language and about life in the United Kingdom, be admitted for an initial period not exceeding 27 months, in all cases provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the relevant requirements of paragraph 281 is met.” This is also clearly repeated in the UKBA’s internal entry clearance guidance for Visa services SET-16.1 “What is the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOL) provision?” which states: Where an applicant has satisfied all of the requirements for Indefinite Leave to Enter (ILE), except the KOL requirement, they should be granted 27 months Leave to Enter (LTE). During this time they can, at any point, satisfy the KOL requirement in the UK and apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).
  • A refusal based on 281(i)(b)(ii) as given by the Entry Clearance Officer is therefore invalid as it is clearly not in compliance with the law and the immigration rules.
  • The online application system required me to enter details regarding an English language qualification even though this is not required by the immigration rules, the Visa Application Center stated that they would refuse to accept and forward my application without a completed form VAF-4A and supporting evidence, despite this not being required by the rules and them being forbidden from refusing an application. I, therefore, provided a form VAF-4A and a copy of my degree certificate qualifying me as a secondary-school teacher of foreign languages (English & German).
Our MP, NAME, has raised these points already with the Chief Executive of the UKBA but has been informed that the target date for reply is 20th June. I am including a copy of his letter to the Chief Executive of the UKBA with this appeal.

Appeal findings:

Anyone who wants a scanned copy of the findings please PM me (best to tick the “send via email box” when you do):
  • The judge ruled in our favour with some very strong comments
  • He categorically stated that the additional documentation, letters etc. we sent in with the appeal were not required
  • Regarding intent to relocate and the guidance in SET 3.4: “his expression of intent fully supported this criteria and needed no additional evidence”
Regarding the refusal based on the language requirement (asking for a language certificate and not KOL) after quoting our grounds and both sets of guidance: “The refusal was therefore not in accordance with the rules” and “At the time of her application, she did not need under the rules the applicable to have passed the KOL test”

Hope this helps a few people out there ...
Old May 17th 2012, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Kameleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Englishguygoinghome,

That is fantastic information thank you! Seriously appreciate that I'm sure we all do!
Old May 19th 2012, 8:11 am
Just Joined

StephMehta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TomInHongKong
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but I have been growing increasingly concerned about changes to immigration rules and this thread seems to have a fair few knowledgable people contributing, so...

I am UK citizen by birth, and current passport-holder, and have been married to my Chinese wife for over 4 years. During all that time, and more besides, we have been living outside the UK in southern China and Hong Kong. We are currently living and working in Hong Kong and planning to return to the UK later this year.

Last summer, on a visit to the UK, my wife sat and passed the Life in the UK test. She is scheduled to sit an English language test at the British Council, later this month.

Under the 4-year rule, and with KOL, I believe my wife may qualify for ILR upon arrival (rule 8, para 281(i)(b) and 282(b)). I understand from reading this thread that she must be very clear in her application that she requires the 'Settlement Spouse/ CP' endorsement.

I have also read elsewhere that in a case such as this where settlement is being applied for under the 4-year rule, and where KOL is already established, that an ILE visa will be issued with no prescribed date of entry. I.e., that, once granted, the ILE visa does not have to be activated by a trip to the UK within any particular time period. This isn't hugely important to us, as we are pretty fixed on a Christmas return, however I would be grateful if anyone could confirm this as it would mean we might be able to begin our visa application a bit earlier (and possibly avoid any more disadvantagous rule changes).

Once we land in the UK, am I correct in thinking that my wife can immediately acquire ILR? And if so, how 'immediate' is this? Do we simply tell the officer at passport control that we wish to convert to ILR? Or do we have to make an appointment and visit some Government office? (will any such places be open over Christmas?)

And finally (sorry for the length of this), these financial requirements. I know that there is a requirement for spouses coming from outside the UK to have 27 months' worth of savings, and now, potentially, for the sponsoring partner to have to have a job paying in the region of 25k, but to what extent does this apply to us?

We are both teachers, rather than bankers or lawyers, and have struggled somewhat over the last four years to amass about 10k GBP in savings. We have a letter from my mother, including council tax records and mortgage statements, detailing a 5 room (kitchen and bathrooms excluded) detached house currently home to three adults, and inviting us to stay for as long as we desire without bills or rent.

Are we scuppered on the savings? Or does the 27 months / 2 years bit not apply to us since we will be entitled to ILR upon arrival?

And what about the income? Since we are currently in HK, neither of us has a job in the UK. My wife, with her fluent English, Masters degree and native Mandarin, may actually be more employable than I am! We can detail our prospects of finding work, based on our ages, qualifications, skills and experience, and they can review my N.I. records to see that even when I wasn't working, in my early 20s, I never fell back on the public purse. But what would you suggest we do to support this side of the maintenance requirement? I have sent off some e-mails to potential employers, but from what they have been saying I think it unlikely I'll be given a firm offer without a face-to-face meeting.

I'm trying to keep my wife up-beat and positive about this, in spite of the really quite nasty stuff coming from Damian Green, but I really am concerned that I may never be able to live in the UK again.
I am sorry if this starts up an old discussion/thread etc I am relatively new to forums and only just came across this one. I am in a similar position to Tom from Hong Kong (as per the above quote). I am British and have been living in India with my husband who is an Indian citizen for the last 3 years - we will have been married for 4 years in January 2013. As I understood from the UKBA and Home Office website, we were only eligible to apply for a spouse visa (using Form VAF4) with a view to obtaining ILR once we had been married for 4 years (My husband is convinced I am wrong on the 4 year rule).

I see now that in some areas the UKBA says after only 2 years and then we have to stay in England full time for 2 years which is not an easy option for us. I then see other statements that say that if we have been living outside the UK for 4 years together we can directly apply for ILE and then switch to ILR from UK? MY husband is currently studying for the IELTS language test to prove he has sufficient understanding of English but would he still also then have to site the KOL test in England as well? I am so confused by all the conflicting information, and as far as I can see, no rules have been changed so far regarding the 4 years outside UK rule or am I wrong in that regard as well?

Please help...
Old May 24th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

sunandmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile some explanation/advice on the 4+ year rule

Due to submit supporting documents next week for spouse visa. I am the uk citizen we have been married and living outside the UK for 5 years..I understand if we submit a cover letter stating this and that we should say we are also applying for the ILR ..this means husband will be granted permission to stay indefinatley..and the 2 years probationary period does not apply..am I correct? If so in my cover letter what do I need to write/state? exactly?

Also we will be supplying photographs with our supporting documents does anybody know...will they return these? or do we need to get copies to send to them as the originals will not be returned?

one more question...of course I understand they will require my husbands (visa applicant) passport for the duration of the proccessing of the visa apllication, but will they need to keep my (spouse/sponsor) British passport also? or will photocopies of the information page etc be acceptable for them, on two visit visa applications before they accepted photocopies of my information pages was just wondering as this is a settlement visa will they want to hold my passport also...any info to help would be very gratefully received thankyou
Old May 24th 2012, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Hi everyone, getting very confused, any advice much apprecciated.

I am a British Citizen and married a USA citizen (who has ILR since 2006) in England 2004, we had a daughter who has dual citizenship. We lived in the UK until February 2010, when we came over to America. We returned to the UK in December 2011 for a couple weeks. We went through the UK passport routh as a family, and no one asked any questions, I have now realised my husbands passport was stamped with a visitors stamp, which apparently made his ILR null and void. I contacted Worldbridge who have given conflicting advice. Essentially he hasn't been out of the UK for 2 years so his ILR should be fine, apart from the mistakenly stamped visitors visa.

We want to return to the UK in August ready for the start of the new school year and for me to take a place I have been offered on a funded doctorate with bursary. I will be a full time student again. But I don't want to take any chances - there is the chance no one will notice the visitor stamp from December - but I am not sure if this data would have been computerized. The Worldbridge will not specifically tell me if it has been revoked or not. We really can't afford to start the whole process from scratch, and it seems really unfair when he hasn't been out of the UK for 2 years and the visitor stamp was an error.

I am thinking the worst case scenario is to apply now from the USA - for a Settlement Spouse/CP visa, with the KOL endorsement? Would his previous ILR affect this process?

Any help much appreciated, as I am aware I need to get moving on this asap.

Thanks!
Old May 26th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

sunandmoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: some explanation/advice on the 4+ year rule

Hello all anybody with any advice on my topic at all? would be most grateful especially the question regarding the ILR cover note for 4+ years married outside UK, just need a bit of help as to how to word the cover note have looked back over lots of threads but cant find any info on how letter should be worded. is... "spouse/settlement visa application with application for ILR KOL required as described under the 4+ years married outside of UK" . sufficient to write on cover note? is there anything else I should quote?
Thanks for any one who can help with answers.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

The endorsement KOL Req is not ILR, so you wouldn't mention ILR and just request the endorsement KOL Req due to 4+ years both married & living outside the UK. ILR won't be granted until the Life in the UK test is passed, and ILR has been applied for.
Old May 28th 2012, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Markusha is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only quote my experience in Moscow, it may vary. Original documents are returned. Since all our photos were digital, I cut and pasted one family photo from each of 14 years' of marriage into a Word document, which was submitted. I (sponsor) accompanied my wife to hand in all the docs a) to show (not hand in) original passport (they also had a copy) and b) to deal with surprises. The surprise was their requirement for me to sign their financial guarantee statement (not an official requirement). My wife had already taken KOL so she got ILE.
Immigrationboards.com is a huge resource for this process.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough
Default Wife just done biometrics for spousal visa (uk)

Getting ready to send in application, does anyone have a clear list of supporting docs that I need to send? (I have most of what I think I need as I did US citizenship 18months ago)bearing in mind we have been married 25 years this year.
Also do I need to write letter as her sponsor and one last thing,if and once she gets approval does she have to fly into a specific city like on pet passport or can she enter uk anywhere?
We are moving to Northern Ireland and she would like to fly into Belfast, is that ok ?

Thanks all
G
Old Jun 7th 2012, 12:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife just done biometrics for spousal visa (uk)

Well done, no help from me on the documents. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.