UK Pension for expats

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default UK Pension for expats

ok, so please be gentle.

We left the UK some years ago. When we were in the UK we we always employed (for about 14 years before we left the UK). When the opportunity to contact out of serps arose (I think in the late 80's) we both contracted out. Our current funds statements from standard life show a total fund of around 35,000 each with a projected benefit (todays money) or around 2,000 for me and 1,500 for my wife. This is not our sole pensions entitlement!

My questions are:

1. Is that the full extent of our entitlement to UK pensions?
2. Should we think about doing anything withn them (e.g. transferring to another scheme)?
3. What would happen if we returned to the UK? Assuming we were not working when we returned could we (voluntarily) make contributions to increase our entitlement - would that be a good thing to do?
4. Can we pay to catch up any years of missed NI contributions (and would it make sense to do that)?

Sorry if there are some duh points here.

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:54 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pension for expats

Originally Posted by MartinH
ok, so please be gentle.

We left the UK some years ago. When we were in the UK we we always employed (for about 14 years before we left the UK). When the opportunity to contact out of serps arose (I think in the late 80's) we both contracted out. Our current funds statements from standard life show a total fund of around 35,000 each with a projected benefit (todays money) or around 2,000 for me and 1,500 for my wife. This is not our sole pensions entitlement!

My questions are:

2. Should we think about doing anything withn them (e.g. transferring to another scheme)?
3. What would happen if we returned to the UK? Assuming we were not working when we returned could we (voluntarily) make contributions to increase our entitlement - would that be a good thing to do?
4. Can we pay to catch up any years of missed NI contributions (and would it make sense to do that)?

Here is a link which may be helpful.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...ensionforecast

You can make arrangements to catch up on missing NI contributions, depending upon your age.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

ok, so please be gentle.

My questions are:

Your contracted out pension with the private insurance company should be in addition to your state 'old age pension', if you paid into the National Insurance Scheme for any reasonable number of years.

From the sounds of it you only paid in for 14 years so you are not going to get the full 'old age pension' like someone who has paid in for 30 years.

However, having said that, YES, you can pay voluntary contributions for missed NI contributions to provide a better pension for you. Not sure how many years back you can go back.

Contact the Pensions Board (last based in Newcastle I believe).

The monies in the Standard Life Pension fund you can transfer to another fund if you so wish.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:11 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

My questions are:

1) As it stands you will get 14/31 of the UK state pension. Have you paid into a foreign social security scheme or pension that will pay you a benefit?

2) You need to know the expenses and return you are getting on your SERP right now and the alternatives to make that choice.

3) I don't know, but I'd look into ISAs first.

4) You can make voluntary NI contributions 6 years in arrears. The Class of NI you pay will be determined by your residency and employment status. Google "Voluntary National Insurance" and look at the HMRC link. FYI if you can make payments while abroad you might qualify for Class II which are inexpensive, around 130 GBP last year. You might also have a few more years of NI than you think as many people got credits from age 16 to 18. Ask for a pension forecast.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks for the replies.

Some answers and a few additional questions.

Since we left the UK we have been paying into the German social security system - we have been paying in for around 10 years now. I assume that means when we eventually retire (which I assume will be in the UK) we will receive a partial pension from the UK and a partial pension from Germany (I would like to keep the German part as it is much more generous that the UK pension).

If we retire before normal retirement age in the UK is it possible to continue paying NI contributions (class 2 or 3) in order to continue to build pension entitlement.

To be honest I have just left the standard life pension sitting where it is and not really bothered about it - what should we consider if we are thinking about transferring it?

Thanks again
Old Feb 4th 2012, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the replies.

Some answers and a few additional questions.

Since we left the UK we have been paying into the German social security system - we have been paying in for around 10 years now. I assume that means when we eventually retire (which I assume will be in the UK) we will receive a partial pension from the UK and a partial pension from Germany (I would like to keep the German part as it is much more generous that the UK pension).

If we retire before normal retirement age in the UK is it possible to continue paying NI contributions (class 2 or 3) in order to continue to build pension entitlement.

To be honest I have just left the standard life pension sitting where it is and not really bothered about it - what should we consider if we are thinking about transferring it?

Thanks again
Yes, if you retire early you can pay voluntary NI contributions to continue to build your final pension entitlement.

Sorry, can't help with current alternative funds in the UK,nor with the German pension.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

NSWP will become famous soon enoughNSWP will become famous soon enough

I only worked in UK for 3 years, age 15-18 before migrating to Australia.

So I would get zilch pension from the UK Government ?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NSWP

Maybe not zilch but very,very small
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:22 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Maybe not zilch but very,very small
If you had three paid years you would get 3/30ths or 10% of the current state pension which is I believe a little less than 100 pounds a week. So it would be a little less than 10 pounds a week.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:22 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSWP

Ye you'd get 3/30 of state pension and for some bizarre reason it wouldn't be index linked because you live in Australia. But you'll have your Aus old age pension and superannuation.